• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The atmosphere at Chelsea's next game should be pretty poisonous. I'm surprised that he isn't sufficiently thick-skinned to smile and think of the pay-cheque though.
His contract lasts 3 months, he's fed up with the fans and feels let down by the club. He gets his money regardless of whether he lasts until the end of the season or gets sacked today. Why shouldn't he lob a few grenades in the direction of the fans?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The atmosphere at Chelsea's next game should be pretty poisonous. I'm surprised that he isn't sufficiently thick-skinned to smile and think of the pay-cheque though.
He's obviously just thought "ah **** it", I suspect.

Would love it if this is just an elaborate troll, and that he only took on the job in the first place to piss off the Chelsea fans even more.

In any case, as Furball has said, I doubt he really gives two hoots at this stage. He's been treated pretty badly by the fans and by the board, now he's getting his own back a bit. In fairness to him, though his rant is pretty extraordinary, I can't really disagree with a lot of what he's said.

I mean, labeling a manager as an "interim" is just asking for trouble. And he's right about the fans too. Granted, they don't like him, that's painfully obvious, but as he's rightly pointed out, he'll be gone by the end of the year regardless, so may as well just lump it and try and support the team.

The whole situation is just hilariously great though, what a mess. Couldn't happen to a nicer team etc...

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Owen is certainly one that we can easily forget given what has happened to his career, really was bloody good wasn't he.

Pothas

Don't really think the World Cup is the "top" level these days, tbh.
Think the world cup gets a little bit too much bad press these days. May have lost some or it's shine and I certainly don't subscribe to the 'you have to do it in a world cup to be great' argument but it is still a bloody hard tournament to win.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Owen is certainly one that we can easily forget given what has happened to his career, really was bloody good wasn't he.
Yeah, his scoring record for Liverpool was excellent really. Even in his last few years there, which weren't exactly remarkable, he still got plenty.

I suppose in a sense though, he was one of these players that was only ever a few injuries away from being completely shot. He was a really lethal finisher, and had great movement, but one got the feeling that he was rather reliant on his pace to make that movement.

Shame that he'll (surely) never play for England again though. Apart from Shearer, he's definitely the best forward to have played for the national team in my lifetime. Apart from Lineker, maybe.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Think the world cup gets a little bit too much bad press these days. May have lost some or it's shine and I certainly don't subscribe to the 'you have to do it in a world cup to be great' argument but it is still a bloody hard tournament to win.
I think so too, but I suppose it depends what you define the "top" level as. I still think the World Cup is probably the most prestigious competition going, but I wouldn't have said it's the competition with the most quality on a team by team, or player by player, basis.

It's undoubtedly a massive challenge to win, but international tournaments often strike me as being more of a mental challenge, and a battle of attrition, as opposed to pure quality and technical ability.

Edit: Having said that, you still obviously need to have some quality to get anywhere!

Last edited:

Pothas

Yeah Champions League is clearly the highest quality and it happens every year, although if a team as bad as Chelsea can win it..

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair to Gazza though at the time he played the World Cup was seen as the highest quality tournament.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Gervinho inspired no doubt
Oh god, him.

He's one of these players, I just literally forget exists. He's that bad, I must have just blanked him from my memory.

Usually when a player returns from international duty or an injury lay off, I think "ah good, that should improve things somewhat/thank god he's back".

But with Gervinho, it's just horrible to remember that he actually exists, and to realise that he'll soon be back in the side. My god, he's so crap. He may even be worse than Glen Helder.

Pothas

Yeah for sure and a great performance at a world cup still now has a special power.

I have no doubt that he was superb but 1990 has such a mythical status for England, especially those of a certain age that it is really hard for those that were way too young to ever really understand.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bale's performances for Spurs in their CL year were surely better than Gazza's in Italia '90, and the CL is undeniably the 'highest level' today. Gazza was quality but he wasn't "run past the entire Inter Milan team and score an amazing goal three times in one ****ing match" quality.

The World Cup is more important but that's not far from saying Bale's worse because he's Welsh.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Gazza was quality but he wasn't "run past the entire Inter Milan team and score an amazing goal three times in one ****ing match" quality.
To be fair though, that's what I kind of mean about it not being an apt comparison. Bale's style of play is a lot more direct and thrusting than Gazza's was, and so he'll inevitably be more prolific.

Though my memory isn't great, Gazza's style reminds me more of Joe Cole, when he was actually good. Though Gazza was much better than Cole, obvs.