• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't even realise the shield was today.

We've already seen a much sharper looking Torres, as I reckon most would have expected, and some diabolical refereeing, as everyone permanently expects.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Perfectly justified red card that one. Not sure how the commentary team can claim it was in any way harsh. Could have easily broken Kolarov's leg.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Perfectly justified red card that one. Not sure how the commentary team can claim it was in any way harsh. Could have easily broken Kolarov's leg.
Yeah man I was saying the same thing, tackle was awful.

We look okay but have no inspiration and look really timid up front. Hopefully it doesn't continue into the season.

Also, hope we don't play 3-5-2 this year :/

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also, what a contrast some of these oiks are to the exemplary mannered Olympic athletes I've become used to over the last few weeks. In this regard I am thinking particularly of Mr Cole and Mr Terry.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'll never understand why players who have been red carded insist of arguing with the referee. Just get off the ****ing park, he's not changing his mind you disrespectful ****.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, what a contrast some of these oiks are to the exemplary mannered Olympic athletes I've become used to over the last few weeks. In this regard I am thinking particularly of Mr Cole and Mr Terry.
So much of this. What was most funny was watching the women's football (for different reasons than usual). Not a word of dissent or a hint of prickishness in almost all of the teams.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
I am not thatmuch of a dedicated soccer follower but once a referee gives a card, is there any recorded game in history when he changed his mind and took his decision back??

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If played in the traditional way with basically 5 defenders then yeah it is ridiculously negative for a top side but don't think we are going to see that. A proper 3-4-1-2 could be pretty interesting and could get the best out of Silva, Tevez and Aguero.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Really enjoyed that City performance actually. Should have had 6 or 7 by the end, flattering scoreline for Chelsea.

Am surprised Chelsea haven't invested in some new centre backs though. Attacking players across the country will be thrilled at the prospect of lining up against Terry and Luiz based on that display, they were both really poor today, and once Ivanovic went off, the whole defence went to ****. Unless they're confident their strikers can compensate for the defence's inadequacy I can't see them doing all that well.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't rate Chelsea. I heard a lot about a new-look revolution but when I looked at the team sheet today the only new name was Hazard. Their team still consists almost entirely of past-it big names. Don't think they'll make the top four but it depends on how well Arsenal/Spurs/Liverpool keep it together.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
To be fair they still have Oscar and Marin to come, so they could yet have plenty to offer going forward. Depending on how the three new guys link up with Mata and Torres, and if they live up to their billing, they could be really threatening.

The trio of Mikel, Luiz and Terry is extremely suspect though. And like you say, not sure how well some of the old legs will hold up as the season progresses.

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah man I was saying the same thing, tackle was awful.

We look okay but have no inspiration and look really timid up front. Hopefully it doesn't continue into the season.

What are the main reasons you hope we don't play 3-5-2 ? I was sceptical whenever we reverted to this system last season and also when we lined up with that today, but I thought today it worked pretty well, albeit against 10 men for plenty of the game.

Kompany marshalled the two men alongside him as well as is expected, though still cannot imagine Savic will be anywhere near a permanent fixture just yet. So with Richards (when fit) and Lescott alongside Kompany it looks impressive. In the middle of park, hopefully with the new addition in Jack Rodwell, we have four decent options - De Jong, Yaya, Barry and Rodwell, if, as it appears, Milner is to play at right wing-back, a position that I hope will suit his style of play. Kolarov will also benefit from having more focus on getting balls into the box rather than defending being his main focus, though Clichy will also be effective as a wing-back.

I guess in this system it does look as though we can play either Nasri or Silva rather than both, which may not be ideal, be I'm sure Mancini will look to be flexible when he wants to incorporate both players. The Aguero and Tevez partnership looks exceptionally promising.

In full, I think it's a system we can make work, it looked fluent at times today, it can be an attacking formation and has the potential to get the most out of our players. It means that Nasri or Silva or whoever don't have to be stuck out on either side where they don't look massively comfortable and can influence things more from the middle.

cpr

International Coach
So much of this. What was most funny was watching the women's football (for different reasons than usual). Not a word of dissent or a hint of prickishness in almost all of the teams.
Dunno, the Canada v US was full of some tasty tackles and rather colourful language at times