• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry for the link to the Scum, but John ****ing Barnes:-O
Viv Anderson would have been a more relevant pick if they wanted to tick that particular box. That being said, maybe Barnes is there as the last decent left sided midfielder/forward that we've had. Arguably the only one since I've been watching the game.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Viv Anderson would have been a more relevant pick if they wanted to tick that particular box. That being said, maybe Barnes is there as the last decent left sided midfielder/forward that we've had. Arguably the only one since I've been watching the game.

Nah Barnes was just average, decent is massively overselling for his many caps when he was totally anonymous. Should have put Giggs in there plus many others, if they're doing Taffs. Let alnoe all the great wingers from the past, for Scotland and England.

Keegan another poor pick, would select, Lineker, Hurst, Dalglish, Dean, Rush, Mortenson and plenty others over him. Billy Wright should be in there somewhere too. Not sure about Robbo either, I liked him, but think there's been better for the Home Countries.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nah Barnes was just average, decent is massively overselling for his many caps when he was totally anonymous. Should have put Giggs in there plus many others, if they're doing Taffs. Let alnoe all the great wingers from the past, for Scotland and England.

Keegan another poor pick, would select, Lineker, Hurst, Dalglish, Dean, Rush, Mortenson and plenty others over him. Billy Wright should be in there somewhere too. Not sure about Robbo either, I liked him, but think there's been better for the Home Countries.

All true. Finney would have been my all-time pick on the left wing - he could play either side, couldn't he?

EDIT
And there's no full backs at all in the side. Not that I'm sure who our ATGs would be in those positions.

Last edited:

grecian

All true. Finney would have been my all-time pick on the left wing - he could play either side, couldn't he?

EDIT
And there's no full backs at all in the side. Not that I'm sure who our ATGs would be in those positions.

I think both Matthews and Finney could play on the left, and by all accounts Finney would have been better in an overcoat, to paraphrase Shankly.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

EDIT
Yeah Finney was two footed - played mainly on the left because Matthews (who wasn't) played on the right. He became a deep-lying centre-forward in later years too I believe.

As for full backs, off the top of my head I'm thinking Cashley, Pearce, the Neviller, Sansom, Neal, Wilson, Cohen, Armfield, Byrne, Gemmell, McGrain. Probably a bunch of others I've forgotten too. Some great players there but probably lacking the glamour, charisma or popularity to have their own postage stamps.

Last edited:

grecian

Yeah Finney was two footed - played mainly on the left because Matthews (who wasn't) played on the right. He became a deep-lying centre-forward in later years too I believe.

As for full backs, off the top of my head I'm thinking Cashley, Pearce, the Neviller, Sansom, Neal, Wilson, Cohen, Armfield, Gemmell, McGrain. Probably a bunch of others I've forgotten too. Some great players there but probably lacking the glamour, charisma or popularity to have their own postage stamps.
Pearce probably the only one really well-known, apart from Neville, and obviously he doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the side.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

As for full backs, off the top of my head I'm thinking Cashley, Pearce, the Neviller, Sansom, Neal, Wilson, Cohen, Armfield, Gemmell, McGrain. Probably a bunch of others I've forgotten too. Some great players there but probably lacking the glamour, charisma or popularity to have their own postage stamps.
I suppose Gemmell would get the gig in the green half of Glasgow, if only for his thunderbolt against inter in the 1967 European Cup win. Less so elsewhere of course. Funny how our left backs have generally been better than our right backs.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Gonna look up your address on the electoral register so that I can test the veracity of that statement tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Chippy's leaving his role at our academy too. Will stay involved in the club in some capacity tho. Love the man, has helped bring through some great talent since he took the gig on.

Obviously I am biased as ****, but I do love the way we use Arsenal men in the backroom. Keeps our core identity intact.

Jarquis

Better than Ronaldo /JeffStelling

Don't get me wrong, good player. Very good premier league player but not in the top 25 in the world IMO

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Better than Ronaldo /JeffStelling

Don't get me wrong, good player. Very good premier league player but not in the top 25 in the world IMO
I don't claim to have watched everyone in every league closely all season but I reckon he would be. He's top 5 - maybe top 3 - in the Premier League right now IMO which places him in the world's top 25 for me.

Not better than Ronaldo though, obviously.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I dislike how there is this pervading underrating of British players - perhaps to counter some fans which overrate - but Bale is definitely in the top 25 for mine. I'm sure every top club would want him right now.

Jarquis

Which is of no relevance whatsoever. It's not like I said there are 25 better left wingers, did I?

I've recognised he's a good player, very good in fact.
But when there's stuff like this being thrown about - http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,12088_8477969,00.html it's bemusing.

Question, do you reckon Bale is closer to being the 2nd best or 25th best player in the world? He's miles from being in the top 5 let alone getting close to Ronaldo.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF I don't think the underrating of British players is a problem we, as a football watching nation, are overburdened with.

Bale's very good tho. Third best player in the Prem currently I'd say.