• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
They keep stats for glaring errors leading towards goals - he's had 5.

You'd be wrong re save % too. He is on the low end though but, frankly, the differences in percentages is minute between him and some top keepers (i.e. Hart, Howard, Lloris) - 2-3%. It hasn't helped him that many (many) of our goals conceded have been stupid defensive mistakes which has put him in positions you really wouldn't expect a save.

Maybe we're arguing over definitions but I'd only really describe 3 keepers in the league as "absolute bollocks" and generally consider most goals as defensive mistakes. As I said, he's definitely not one of the best keepers in the league any more - I'd definitely consider selling him and getting a more aerially commanding keeper considering our susceptibility there - but its better than the last couple seasons, at least in my eyes. And on the whole, I don't think its worth arguing over because he hasn't been that good to warrant this defence. I'm just clarifying what I meant, and I'd say this season is better than the tripe over the last few.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ikki in refusing to back down when he's obviously wrong shocker.

TBF on second viewing it wasn't that big an error, watching it live I didn't think Aguero could realistically score from where Reina forced him. Neither did any of the Liverpool defenders either obviously, because no one got back onto the line.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah...whatever.

It was a huge error. There was no reason for him to be that far out. Aguero is going away from goal and we have defenders covering centrally and Skrtel is not far off him either. It was a tough angle and Aguero did well...but Reina should not be anywhere near there.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It was a huge error. There was no reason for him to be that far out. Aguero is going away from goal and we have defenders covering centrally and Skrtel is not far off him either. It was a tough angle and Aguero did well...but Reina should not be anywhere near there.
My take on it too. He didn't need to come out that far in the first place, and he compounded the error by initially pursuing Aguero when he ran away from the goal.

The shrug of the shoulders afterwards as if it wasn't his responsibility was laughable.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I really meant it more of a general statement that I really only consider very few keepers THAT bad, that they're absolute liabilities.

For me, a keeper like Robert Green is pretty awful, even though he has matches where he can be an absolute hero. I hear (I don't watch Wigan often) that Al Habsi is having a crappy season (that looks the case statistically). None of the Southampton keepers have been good either. Oh yeah, Brad Jones is pretty **** too. Looked solid for a few games then...nah, should never be a 2nd option for us.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From what I've seen Federici at Reading is the worst keeper in the Premiership. Green is terrible too (although not first choice) and Jaaskelainen looks like he's had his day and eaten it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
From what I've seen Federici at Reading is the worst keeper in the Premiership. Green is terrible too (although not first choice) and Jaaskelainen looks like he's had his day and eaten it.
Rob Green really is poor, has always struck me as such. Seems to have built his reputation on the fact that he tends to make several decent saves per match, whilst for some reason everyone watching ignores the fact that the sides he's played in have conceded loads of goals.

Brad Jones defo a good shout too, he's seriously dross.

Not sure about Al Habsi. Strikes me as being totally inconsistent, and often looks really really bad. But I get the impression he's actually a bit better than his horrible errors suggest.

So far as keepers go, I don't think there are many in the Premiership who are truly awful, most are at the very least serviceable. Now that Almunia has been sacked off, of course. Fabianski out of contract in the summer too.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On an unrelated note, Chelsea V Barca in April 09 was a shambles, wasn't it?
Also apropos of nothing, didn't Harry Redknapp manage a team who featured in the Champions League "within the last three or four years"?
Also the moment where RVP was sent off for having a shot a second later than the whistle in a stadium filled with 90k of shrieking Catalonians.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also the moment where RVP was sent off for having a shot a second later than the whistle in a stadium filled with 90k of shrieking Catalonians.
Bendtner had obvs taken a bung to miss that open goal at the end as well. Or at least, that's what I would have thought, had he been a reasonable footballer.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
How is this United side nine points clear? Such a weird season.
Because it's not as bad a team as made out. Strikers are brilliant but could still do better. Wingers have been largely mediocre with Valencia being awful but Giggs being a revelation back out on the wing lately. Carrick, Cleverley and Anderson have all been good in CM but Scholes should retire and Giggs shouldn't play there again unless it's an emergency and Fletcher? Well... Rafael' solidified the RB spot as his, Evra's found some form again and Evans has continued the good work from last season.

We don't play well for all the game but there's enough quality there that when we dominate the game we score and it's enough to get the 3 points.