• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

cpr

International Coach
TBH, the interest in the thread died on its arse too... I cared until at least Christmas.......

Someone else can do it, I bobbins at keeping interest in these things

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
For all the signings Arsenal make, if they can't sign a training staff that can teach how to defend set pieces and a fitness trainer that can stop every player in the team getting injured, they'll go nowhere.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Alex Ferguson: "When somebody's paying €45m (£35.5m) for a 19-year-old boy you have to say the game's gone mad. I find it quite amazing." (Lucas Moura).

Same guy who bought an 18 year old Wayne Rooney for £30m 8 years ago. 8-)

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well dear old Alex never known for his consistency but thought Rooney was more like 25 mil, either way he was more proven than Moura who is apparently a bit like Theo Walcott...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's also whinging about Arsenal digging their heels in over the Van Persie deal. Which is fairly ironic, as I recall he was rabidly determined not to let Gabriele Heinze join Liverpool a few years back, and deployed similar tactics.

Predictable and a bore.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also, lots of papers suggesting it would be a great idea for Arsenal to get shot of Alex Song. Further proof, if any was needed, that plenty of journalists don't actually watch football, let alone understand it.

grecian

Also, lots of papers suggesting it would be a great idea for Arsenal to get shot of Alex Song. Further proof, if any was needed, that plenty of journalists don't actually watch football, let alone understand it.
TBF, Song's appearance record is less than sterling, when he plays he's great.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
TBF, Song's appearance record is less than sterling, when he plays he's great.
I think his appearance record is more than reasonable to be honest. He's played in 122 of Arsenal's last 152 Premiership matches apparently. Had more assists than any other Arsenal player last year as well.

If Arsenal really get a too good to refuse offer then I suppose his sale, though regrettable, would be understandable. Just can't fathom how anyone could think getting him out the door is something that should be actively pursued though. Easily one of the most important players in the side for mine. Even if someone doubts his overall quality, he's an established first team player with Premiership experience, and would be hard to replace. He's a really crucial cog in the team imo, you only have to look through all of Arsenal's goals from last season to see how many come from him winning the ball or scoring/assisting them himself to see that.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Song's awesome. The complete midfielder- keeps the ball, breaks up the other team's play and creates goals. Carrick's (deservedly) holding down a place at United just by keeping the ball.

He's just not a highlight reel player. If a player doesn't do something to warrant a feature on MOTD they almost always end up underrated by casual fans.

Last edited:

duffer

Song's made a lot of hero assists in his time here, just he now thinks he's a playmaker and not a defensive midfielder so leaves the dirty work to the others a lot of the time. If he's not signing a new contract get rid and buy M'Vila. Same goes for Theo, no new contract then out the door and someone else in.

Chances of us having an RVP situation with these two next year?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Song is contracted till 2015 though. So if he's not immediately prepared to sign a new deal I don't see that as being particularly problematic. In any case, I don't see his venturing forward as being a major issue. These days you rarely see defensive midfield players who are only expected to sit in front of the defence, win the ball and lay it off - especially in good sides. Far more is expected of Khedira, Busquets, Javi Martinez, Xabi Alonso, Cambiasso and Joao Moutinho when the play in that role after all...

Imagine a new Theo contract is imminent as well. The fact that his contract has barely been mentioned at all over the last few months suggests that unless he suddenly does a Nasri and decides he wants out at the last minute he'll be signing on. I imagine the reason behind that is because he's been clever enough to work out that no team who will pay him more than Arsenal will would actually want him.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Podolski is gash, honestly stick Theo up top and he'll really come good.
He was in the Euros but fair effort to score as many goals as he did for Koln last year. Usually the reverse where he is very good for Germany and a nonentity at club level. Not sure he will be a regular starter, competing for a place with Gervinho it looks.

Cazorla is a great signing.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Allen completes Liverpool move - Liverpool FC

.. for what I can only assume, is £15m.

It's exciting to see we're going for a player in his mould, and he's certainly got a big future, but we're overpaying again, which is incredibly frustrating.
Reckon he's actually decently priced. Was one of the best (most successful) passers in the top leagues in Europe last year, knows the premier league and is only 22.

Hope these rumours of us getting Adam Johnson is true, especially since Bellamy has gone.

grecian

So El Hadji goes to Leeds, they really are the receptacle of all evil nowadays, good to see.