• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bees were always going to lose today, normaly lose at Yeovil anyway so was a certainty following the Chelsea game.

Lucky that nearly everyone else lost as well, a certain Tranmere fan must be rather unhappy tonight.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
And hand United the title...
I'd hate United to win it, and to make it worse they win when they play crap and get owned. But they're gonna walk the league this year. City is missing a few key players and this is our chance after gifting you guys a draw last time round.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bees were always going to lose today, normaly lose at Yeovil anyway so was a certainty following the Chelsea game.

Lucky that nearly everyone else lost as well, a certain Tranmere fan must be rather unhappy tonight.
Totally miffed but we got away with it with most other results going our way. Can look at that from either perspective really but the important thing is that we bounce back next week.

Bournemouth the team I fear most, my current tip is then to come up automatically with us.

Pothas

Yeah I think Bournemouth are going up, spent money in January and been on a great run for a long time now.

We have 3 home games in a row now in the league, got to win them all.

fredfertang

Beginning to look like we might not be playing Corrin's lot next season after all - remarkable transformation having looked dead and buried before Chrimbo

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Co-incidentally around the time you didn't sack McDermott.

I am biased, because he's a Gooner (at heart) and a crashingly good bloke too, but it's an obvious point that's often ignored: stability is the key for sustained success.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Co-incidentally around the time you didn't sack McDermott.

I am biased, because he's a Gooner (at heart) and a crashingly good bloke too, but it's an obvious point that's often ignored: stability is the key for sustained success.
It's true but the latest thinking is that it's hard to attain stability by sticking with the same manager. They pretty much inevitably move on because of the stress, career prospects, unreasonable media/fan expectations etc. You get a handful of long-term managers in England but in a lot of other major leagues it just doesn't happen.

Lyon pioneered the more long-term Director of Football role to give a bit of stability when there's a high turnover of managers. It's working now at Swansea and West Brom, but for whatever reason it's only ever got bad press in England.

Uppercut

It's working now at Swansea and West Brom
Probably because it's never had any success here. Not that I can remember, anyway.
Huh?

Actually it was that Portsmouth moved to introduce it when it was a recent innovation and Harry Redknapp quit over it. The media being serial 'arry arse-lickers immediately concluded that it was a stupid idea and have held that opinion ever since.

Last edited:

Pothas

It's true but the latest thinking is that it's hard to attain stability by sticking with the same manager. They pretty much inevitably move on because of the stress, career prospects, unreasonable media/fan expectations etc. You get a handful of long-term managers in England but in a lot of other major leagues it just doesn't happen.

Lyon pioneered the more long-term Director of Football role to give a bit of stability when there's a high turnover of managers. It's working now at Swansea and West Brom, but for whatever reason it's only ever got bad press in England.
Brentford have Mark Warburton as sporting director and I think it has worked really well, especially as he took the role the same summer that Rosler came over, it is never a good idea to impose one on an existing manager.

The fact that Warburton turned down the job at West Brom and has a really close relationship with our owner suggests that he will stay for the long term regardless of managers coming and going.

Pothas

Always understood the Bale critics, probably have been one of them myself but you have to admit that he is doing rather brilliant things on an increasingly frequent basis.

Holtby looks really good as well, their inability to buy a striker is just ridiculous though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Diving clampdown strikes again. Seems like referees are taking an approach that if its not a foul it must be a dive. Now I'm not sure either way with Sturridge there after four replays so I don't know how the referee can be. Needs a rethink.

Uppercut

Nah ref got it spot on. Contact, but still a definite dive. You can see the exact moment where he thinks "bollocks I've lost it, need to fall over".

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah ref got it spot on. Contact, but still a definite dive. You can see the exact moment where he thinks "bollocks I've lost it, need to fall over".
Completely disagree. Ref has no business booking him there.

But what a finish. Been some game. Can see more goals in this yet.

Pothas

Was a dive for sure, Suarez would get so much **** for that.

Real blast from the past that from Gerrard.