• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Football Sheep Draft

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
I know its been a while since we've had a non-cricket draft on these forums but with the upocoming European Championships I thought I'd start a sheep draft for Football. NUFAN has already done a brillant job running three Cricket Sheep Drafts but for those of you who have missed them, the idea is that a name a category (e.g. played on the losing side in an FA Cup Final) and e-mail me your pick (cwdrafts@gmail.com for this draft). At some point after 24 hours I will look at all entries received and if noone else has picked the player you did you receive that player. If multiple participants pick the same player then no participant receives the player and the player moves onto the banned list for the duration of the draft (or until the organiser decides to ask a question involving the banned list). All players who failed get second and third chances to make their picks (with players successfully picked in the 1st part also being off limits although this isn't made public knowledge until the end of the round). If a player can make no successful pick after three rounds then they get a sheep and the draft continues with another question. Each side in this draft will have 12 players - 11 starters and a substitute.

I mentioned some slight differences in the rules to NUFAN's format for cricket sheep drafts and these are:
1) There are double pick rounds where you have two picks which are related in someway (e.g. played on opposite sides in a World Cup Finals)

2) If you fail with your picks, you get to choose your sheep from a list compiled by other drafters and myself (This is to ensure that team structure isn't disproportionately ruined with later sheep compared to earlier ones and to ensure that the sheep between rounds have a similar quality). Participants choose sheep on a first come first served basis although they must have picked by the end of the next round or when they are next on, if they are away for longer than the duration of the next round Please note that as this is an All Time Draft and some criteria may well be pretty wide the idea for sheep are to be servicable but a definate weakness in all Time Football Teams (e.g. Paul Scholes is not a sheep although Gareth barry qualifies). I also maintain the discretion to veto sheep nominations if they are clearly not sheep. Also if a consensus emerges among successful pickers that one of my nominations is to good to be a sheep then that player is removed from consideration and if anyone had already picked them as a sheep then they have to pick again

3) Every participant must have a goalkeeper by the end of the penultimate round (Round 9) as there is no guarantee that you will be able to get a Goalkeeper in the last round.

4) At the end of each round I will also choose a player for the All Sheep XI except my objective is to build the worst team possible using my criteria instead of the best

Here is an example with 8 participants in case this description has proved to complicated for you

Question: Pick a player who has played for Manchester United

Pick A

Player A - Paul Scholes
Player B - David Beckham
Player C - Bobby Charlton
Player D - Paul Scholes
Player E - George Best
Player F - Leonel Messi
Player G - Bobby Charlton
Player H - Ryan Giggs

Then the results would be

Player A - Fail (Scholes)
Player B - Pass
Player C - Fail (Charlton)
Player D - Fail (Scholes)
Player E - Pass
Player F - Fail (Messi does not meet the criteria)
Player G - Fail (Charlton)
Player H - Pass

Players A, C, D, F, G need to pick again

Pick B

Player A - David Beckham
Player C - George Best
Player D - Wayne Rooney
Player F - Edwin van der Sar
Player G - Eric Cantona

Then the results would be

Player A - Fail (Player picked in Pick A)
Player C - Fail (Player picked in Pick A)
Player D - Pass
Player F - Pass
Player G - Pass

Players A and C need to pick again

Pick 3

Player A - Ruud van Nistelrooy
Player C - George Best

Then the results are

Player A - Pass
Player C - Fail

Player C needs to pick a sheep

Then the sheep nomination list is:
Darren Fletcher
Gary Birtles
Phil Neville
Massimo Taibi
Erik Djemba Djemba
John O'Shea

Player C picks Darren Fletcher as its sheep

The All Sheep XI picks Massimo Taibi as its sheep

The Final results for the round are:

Player A - Ruud van Nistelrooy
Player B - David Beckham
Player C - Darren Fletcher
Player D - Wayne Rooney
Player E - George Best
Player F - Edwin van der Sar
Player G - Eric Cantona
Player H - Ryan Giggs
All Sheep XI - Massimo Taibi

please sign up in this thread. I will post the first round question once at least eight people have entered although people should feel free to enter until the end of round 1.

Eds

International Debutant
Very much enjoyed NUFAN's Sheep Draft. Difficult getting the mix of getting a player you don't think will be chosen, and the highest quality available.

In.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Participating in one All time sheep football draft on another forum right now. In here as well.

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Round 1

Select a player who has at least one international cap for a country which is currently (as of 2nd June 2012) part of UEFA and the country is not competing at the Euro 2012 Finals Tournament?

Please send your pick A for this round in the next 24 hours to cwdrafts@gmail.com

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Rules Clarification: West Germany, Czechoslovakia etc. are not current members of UEFA so are ineligible however successor States which are at the Euros do qualify which means that for instance someone who played for both Czechoslovakia and Slovakia is eligible for Question 1

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Round 1 Pick 1 Results

Neil Pickup - Fail (Ferenc Puskas)
Eds - Fail (Ferenc Puskas)
marc71178 - Fail (Ferenc Puskas)
Johnners - Pass
cpr - Fail (Ferenc Puskas)
Agent TBY - Fail (Ferenc Puskas)
Cevno - Fail (George Best)
weeman27bob - Pass
Marcuss - Fail (George Best)
Pothas - Pass
GingerFurball - Fail (Ferenc Puskas)

Banned List: George Best, Ferenc Puskas

Fails, please send in your second picks within the next 24 hours to cwdrafts@gmail.com.

Passes, please send in a list of potential sheep to cwdrafts@gmail.com before the end of this round

weeman27bob

International Regular
It has to be someone halfways reasonable for the sheep doesn't it? I'm assuming I can't get away with sending in a list of andorrans?