• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Well it's that time of year folks. Trials are starting soon and teams are back training. Surprised there hasn't been more chat given that the off season has been pretty eventful.

NRL Fixtures - 2012 NRL Draw - NRL.com

Manly imploding after the Grand Final was pretty incredible, it will be interesting to see how they go as a club when things stop travelling as well on the field. Des going to the mange was also interesting, the obviously didn't like the coach they had bred. Des obviously produced incredible results at Manly, but coming to a new organisation with different structures and (maybe most importantly) a different boss could change the dynamic for him. He'll have no shortage of talent to work with though and if Kevin Moore could get them within a game of the Grand Final...

I'll run the tipping again this year (if no one has any objections), but I also started up an NRL dream team league for CW. There's been a huge amount of changes to the scoring, with tries, try assist, tackle busts, line breaks and field goals all worth more points. This means that unlike previous years there are options other than the tackleaholic backrower for your forward pack. Penalties for knock ons, penalties and sin bins/send offs are raised too which adds an extra dimension.

So sign up at Toyota NRL Dream Team 2012 - NRL.com and enter the league code 105471 and finally prove who is the greatest NRL coach on CW. Everyone is welcome (especially Benchy).

howardj

International Coach
You do an excellent job with the tipping competition (of which I'm the defending champion incidentally) and it's much appreciated by all. Anyway, I have bombshell news for my CW rugby league loving cousins. This year, the Queen's Birthday holiday has been moved to align with our NSW cousins. This means that we get to party on into the wee small hours of the following Monday too! And, in a transitional move for this year only, we still get our traditional Queen's Birthday holiday in June (coming under the banner of 'Queens Diamond Jubilee Public Holiday").

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Definitely up for the tipping after last year's plucky silver and have entered Stuntney St George into the DT thingy. Strong English flavour to my selections (well, kinda, Heighington's a bit of a plastic pom, but Ellis and Widdop are the real McCoys). Be good if we good get Simon & some old the old NRL-heads back.

NRL's back on Sky up here after several years, so I'll get to see more games this season.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting to see what comes of the trials this weekend. We've named a entirely reserve strength side against Ipswich, but some other teams, particularly Manly, have named nearly full strength teams. The Broncos and Titans matches look to be doubling as a shootout for the five/eigth spot. Backing Hunt and Henry respectively tbh.

It's all too ronery over at Cricket Web NRL Dream. Me and Brumbers just twiddling thumbs aws. It's pretty easy to set up, and really fun, would love some more members to get things interesting.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will get there eventually, still plenty of time before the season starts right?

Anyone else bothering to watch the "All Stars" match? National Anthem just got slaughtered.

Bobisback

International Regular
Everytime I've heard Gus Gould talk he has referenced cricket. Is Channel nine suffering on the ratings and he has been put out there to try to make people watch. Channel 9 cricket commentary is bad enough without Gus Gould being associated with it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Everytime I've heard Gus Gould talk he has referenced cricket. Is Channel nine suffering on the ratings and he has been put out there to try to make people watch. Channel 9 cricket commentary is bad enough without Gus Gould being associated with it.
Nah Gould has always loved his cricket. I remember chuckling when he said Lockyer had played X "First Class matches" and then had to explain to Sterling that it meant all NRL, ARL, Origin, Test, World Cup, City v Country, World Club Challenge and Super League games.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gus Gould was the Wenty Waratahs Junior Cricketer of the year in 1970-71 ftr. Was a decent player. Played Green Shield for Parramatta iirc.

Has anyone else heard the awful news that that ****head Ray Hadley will now call the second Friday night game on Nine, from Queensland? I feel sorry for our Queensland cousins who get it first up. He thinks he's bigger than the game, that arsehole. Watch him turn a call of a footy match into a discussion about himself.

Odious human being.

Is there a DT competition for CWers? I'd be tempted to have a crack at it if there are spots available.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there a DT competition for CWers? I'd be tempted to have a crack at it if there are spots available.
I'll run the tipping again this year (if no one has any objections), but I also started up an NRL dream team league for CW. There's been a huge amount of changes to the scoring, with tries, try assist, tackle busts, line breaks and field goals all worth more points. This means that unlike previous years there are options other than the tackleaholic backrower for your forward pack. Penalties for knock ons, penalties and sin bins/send offs are raised too which adds an extra dimension.

So sign up at Toyota NRL Dream Team 2012 - NRL.com and enter the league code 105471 and finally prove who is the greatest NRL coach on CW. Everyone is welcome (especially Benchy).
Good man is the Burge, have always said so.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Has anyone else heard the awful news that that ****head Ray Hadley will now call the second Friday night game on Nine, from Queensland? I feel sorry for our Queensland cousins who get it first up. He thinks he's bigger than the game, that arsehole. Watch him turn a call of a footy match into a discussion about himself.
Gotta feel for Andrew Voss. The man was groomed for years as the heir to Rabs throne only to be usurped at the 11th hour by his old boss. Hadley once gave him a serve on air, saying he was a decent commentator, but not cut out for a top job. The kind of guy that will always be a second in command.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Mick Slater has been offered a job co-hosting The Footy Show
Slater offers very little valuable cricket insight, and he actually played cricket at a high level. Don't hold out much hope for him as a footy analyst, but then again they talk next to no footy on the footy show anyway so maybe 9 know what they're doing.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's more about talking random **** during the cricket anyway. I don't think it's that bad of an idea given the premise of the Footy Show. :p