• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Such lofty goals out in the West! I like Penrith and want them to do well, but I just can't see it happening.

LOL - I've been a fan for over 20 years. Childhood hero was Steve Renouf. Who was your childhood hero Burgey? Ken Thornett? :p
My first childhood hero was Neil Pringle, who played lock for Balmain in the 70s. That was because my grandfather played for Balmain before the war, so they were my first team, despite my living in the Parramatta area.

I started following Parra in 76, and my favourite player at that time was John Peard, who'd come over from Easts. Was a decent five-eighth. He and Ray Price. Price was a crazy-good player, because if it meant getting the ball, he'd stick his head where no one else was game to stick their foot.

Then in 77 Mick Cronin joined the club and he pretty remained my favourite player til he left after 86. Cronin had played for Gerringong in 75, and made the country side. Then was picked to play for Australia direct from there, pretty rare achievement.

Around the 80s there was Sterling and Kenny as well. Great players they were. Haven't had a consistently good half back since Sterling retired tbh. Like Brisbane with Langer.

Last edited:

Burgey

Suspect it was the success of Parra making their first GF in 1976, when Neville Glover famously dropped the ball with the line wide open in the North East (or Neville Glover) corner of the SCG.

Nev is a police prosecutor these days. I always try to make life difficult for him on the odd occasion I see him, as payback for that dropped ball.

Tigers have always pretty much been my second side, though in recent years I've gone off them a bit, because there are a lot of players in the team who strut around like they're all time legends when they play baout one good game in four.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
My first childhood hero was Neil Pringle, who played lock for Balmain in the 70s. That was because my grandfather played for Balmain before the war, so they were my first team, despite my living in the Parramatta area.

I started following Parra in 76, and my favourite player at that time was John Peard, who'd come over from Easts. Was a decent five-eighth. He and Ray Price. Price was a crazy-good player, because if it meant getting the ball, he'd stick his head where no one else was game to stick their foot.

Then in 77 Mick Cronin joined the club and he pretty remained my favourite player til he left after 86. Cronin had played for Gerringong in 75, and made the country side. Then was picked to play for Australia direct from there, pretty rare achievement.

Around the 80s there was Sterling and Kenny as well. Great players they were. Haven't had a consistently good half back since Sterling retired tbh. Like Brisbane with Langer.
Nice story mate. :)

Pretty awesome to be going for the same team for over 30 years. I can't remember the exact match where I started going for the Broncos but I remember being shattered that the Broncos got thumped by the Raiders in 1990 - we got beat like 34-4 or something in the Prelim.

Burgey

Nice story mate. :)

Pretty awesome to be going for the same team for over 30 years. I can't remember the exact match where I started going for the Broncos but I remember being shattered that the Broncos got thumped by the Raiders in 1990 - we got beat like 34-4 or something in the Prelim.
Yeah, that Raiders side was white hot back then. Some of the early 90satches between them and the Broncos were brilliant.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
On the Broncos as we almost were, what's the prognosis on Parker's injury?

$427k is a lot of DT player to be benched...