Page 77 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1375

Thread: *Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Hasn't been borne out that way in the AFL thus far; 46 of the last 48 preliminary finalists finished in the top 4, I believe.
    Pretty sure I read somewhere that Collingwood was the only side in a while to do that.

The NRL however has been less predictable, although this may change with the new system.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Reckon its great for the game that the week 1 finals are taking place in 4 different states/territories.

All 4 games have some sort of rivalry which makes it interesting, ANZ and Dairy Farmers should have big crowds especially.

- Dogs vs Manly = Hasler
    - Cows vs Broncos = big QLD derby, no real hate though.
    - Storm vs Rabbits = Inglis, Crocker, McGuire, Storm influence
    - Raiders vs Sharks = Carney are probably bigger is Ferguson leaving Sharks for the better team.

I agree with Phil Rothfield (never thought I'd type those words)
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

wonder what they will end up paying whomever they target next, hard to climb down from the figure thats all over every story
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

I know one man who'd do if for free

Gillion is smart for knocking back the NRL offer. He would have just been pillared every week in the papers and other media and would never have been accepted. Even if he was successful he would have been gunned down.

Never had a chance. Stay in Melbourne and become the next CEO once the great Demetriou heads off.

Also lol @ Roy Masters saying the NRL should head hunt Demetriou.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I agree with Phil Rothfield (never thought I'd type those words)
    Rothfield is an incredibly biased, vitriolic snake. Everything he writes has an ulterior motive revolving around keeping himself as a "big fish" in a small pond, kneecapping people he doesn't like and promoting people he does like, strictly in that order. His writing ability is at the level of a 10 year old, he's a blight on the game and a disgrace to his profession.

On point, the CEO should be the best person for the job. A background in RL would be a bonus, but if there's no one available from inside the ranks we shouldn't pick a sub par candidate just for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Gillion is smart for knocking back the NRL offer. He would have just been pillared every week in the papers and other media and would never have been accepted. Even if he was successful he would have been gunned down.

Never had a chance. Stay in Melbourne and become the next CEO once the great Demetriou heads off.

Also lol @ Roy Masters saying the NRL should head hunt Demetriou.
    He'd have to deal with entitled scum like Rothfield, but real footy fans would love him if he stood up to the snakes in the media. There are plenty of good journos who'd be willing to judge a new CEO on their merit rather than their background. Not an insane rush either. The commission seem to be holding down the fort pretty well.

But you're right, it would be easier for this bloke to work in an environment where the media doesn't question what you do. All hail Vlad the great!
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Is it fair to say that it's a massive struggle to get a "rugby league person" without them having very strong ties to a club?

There doesn't seem to be strong bodies outside of the clubs that are stakeholders in the game that candidates can come from.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Rothfield is an incredibly biased, vitriolic snake. Everything he writes has an ulterior motive revolving around keeping himself as a "big fish" in a small pond, kneecapping people he doesn't like and promoting people he does like, strictly in that order. His writing ability is at the level of a 10 year old, he's a blight on the game and a disgrace to his profession.

On point, the CEO should be the best person for the job. A background in RL would be a bonus, but if there's no one available from inside the ranks we shouldn't pick a sub par candidate just for the sake of it.

He'd have to deal with entitled scum like Rothfield, but real footy fans would love him if he stood up to the snakes in the media. There are plenty of good journos who'd be willing to judge a new CEO on their merit rather than their background. Not an insane rush either. The commission seem to be holding down the fort pretty well.

But you're right, it would be easier for this bloke to work in an environment where the media doesn't question what you do. All hail Vlad the great!
    Explains why Rothfield is a good mate of Hadley's
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Is it fair to say that it's a massive struggle to get a "rugby league person" without them having very strong ties to a club?

There doesn't seem to be strong bodies outside of the clubs that are stakeholders in the game that candidates can come from.
    I think it'd mostly be a perception thing. Even Gallop got criticized over the handling of the Storm salary cap because of links with News (the Storms owner) that ended 15 years ago. If someone like Greenburg had to make a huge call like that for the Dogs there's no way he'd "get it right". Dogs fans would call it punitive, everyone else would say he went soft.

I think there'd be plenty of RL people that could administer the game without bias though.

benny elias

is not one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post

:
    Absolutely

I just think the best candidate, and somebody with a feel, a touch for the game are inextricably bound

There's enough "business acumen" on the Comission

dogs v dogs, scrappy and tough so far. manly getting all the help in the first 40

Page 77 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread Information