• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

howardj

International Coach
I quite like Andrew Johns, certainly much less arrogant than his brother.

I think Johns was a magnificent player, very tough, could defend in the middle of the ruck like a forward, revolutionised kicking and passing. To my mind, he falls into the Hall of Fame category, but certainly not an Immortal.

When you take all the hype away, to me the one thing that sticks out is that he played more than one-third of his Origin games out of position at hooker. So, back then at that time, he was not deemed good enough to be the first-choice halfback.

To my mind, an Immortal walks into a team, and indeed is the first picked in a team at virtually all stages of their career.

As I say, it would be mean spirited and inaccurate to say he's not a Hall of Famer, but Immortals are the creme de la creme of the creme de la creme.

To my mind, Johns falls short of that

Immortals are your Leigh Matthews, your Don Bradmans, your Shane Warnes - guys who pick themselves and guys you don't have to argue about.

uvelocity

International Coach
most important position on the field and there is nobody you'd pick ahead of him

howardj in bizzare post shocker

I think Johns was a magnificent player, very tough, could defend in the middle of the ruck like a forward, revolutionised kicking and passing.
won games at the highest level on his own. carried teams to well above their level. haven't seen a better halfback before or after. the fact that he won games out of position shows how good he was, it doesn't detract from it.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Joey absolutely was the right choice. Incredible player. No one I've ever seen comes close. Just think it's a bit too soon. Aren't we usually talking double digit years post retirement for something like this?

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Still can't bring myself to support anyone today. Everytime I think about how horrible it would be for the cheating Mexicans to win with an illegally assembled squad I remember they're playing the Mange.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Joey absolutely was the right choice. Incredible player. No one I've ever seen comes close. Just think it's a bit too soon. Aren't we usually talking double digit years post retirement for something like this?
This is the main reason why I didn't want Joey to get it. Its far too soon.

It would be a shame if one of the older guys passed away before becoming an immortal.

howardj

International Coach
most important position on the field and there is nobody you'd pick ahead of him
As I say, go back to the time they were playing, rather than retrospectively. At the time, people were picked ahead of him. Deal with that mate

won games at the highest level on his own. carried teams to well above their level. haven't seen a better halfback before or after. the fact that he won games out of position shows how good he was, it doesn't detract from it.
Bizarre post shocker? :laugh: You've just said it's the most important position on the field...but it was an actual wrap to him that he wasn't picked there, that other players were preferred to him. That actually enhances his reputation :wacko:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like James Graham won't be a staple of my dream team for the first half of next year.

Meblourne looking really good here. Probably should be a bit further ahead really.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
That's that. Well deserved on the day. Melbourne were fantastic at countering the Dogs spread. I think a better halfback would have exploited that but Keating didn't catch on to the kick behind the line.

Still can't get over Graham though. Really should have been walked for that. Pretty clear footage of him having a good chomp on Slater. Can only assume the footage wasn't sent down in time for the decision. He'll miss a **** load of time next year you'd think.

Definitely the two best teams over the year. High quality game worthy of a final.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Too professional Melbourne. Dogs not disgraced by any stretch, but it wouldn't be a big game with them in it without a disgrace to the game. This year it's biting ffs.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
This is why you don't have Sunday night finals. Front rowers get hungry because they forced to have a late dinner, then they end up trying to eat little fullbacks.

Bring back Sunday afternoon grand finals.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually think I'd prefer a 7:30 start to 5:30, but overall prefer the old afternoon kick off.

This 5:30 stuff just is a weird time IMO.