• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
one thing I was thinking about last night, was beau said they thrice verbally offered a 3 year deal, firstly at the arse end of 2011, but were yet to put it on paper until after he'd recently met with Cronulla.

what I'm thinking, is do these club political ****wits ever go to training and say hello, do they meet the players? I don't see how sheens can be to blame for beau not being given the contract to sign
Hard to know for any of us. I'm sure it wasn't an administrative error. There was someone very senior that didn't want to give him a contract and as head coach you'd have to think that person was Sheens. It's probably worse if Sheens did want Ryan given a contract and the board overruled him, things would have to be incredibly toxic for them to even want to do that.

howardj

International Coach
If I was West Tigers coach, would they have made the Finals less than 3 times in the last 10 years?

If I was Raiders coach, would Meninga, Clyde, Lazarus, Belcher, Coyne, Stuart, Daley been a flop in 1989 and 1990?

It beggars belief that Sheens was the subject of a bidding war, between Tigers and Panthers, this time last year! :laugh:

#teflonman

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It is a bit naive to think that someone in Sheen's position wasn't be involved or instructing the club to hold off giving Ryan a contract until they signed up the more high profile players first.

It is pretty common for verbal contract to be discussed, but then the clubs go off and sign up all their major players. Then the fringe players get done last, or in some cases told to leave.

Manly do it every season with guys like Matt Ballin and David Williams.

Some coaches were great coaches back in the day, but struggle to adapt to the changes in game after 20 years of coaching. Sheen has been living off past performance and the fluke of '05 for the last couple seasons.

Beau Ryan is massively overrate. He is a better TV personality, then a league player. He is decent winger, but the fact that he has played centres and fullback shows how poor the Tigers depth is.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
no it shows you how many ****s got injured

and he did a sterling job. not the best in any position in the league but arguably the most improved across the park.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So if Sheens coaches NZ Warriors, will he be axed from the Aussie coaching role? I would hope so tbh.

I agree with Howard, although I'm not sure how many finals appearances they would have made with Howard in charge.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Ryan is always going to be overrated somewhat due to his tv presence, but he definitely had his best year this year. Solid and dependable is about all you're going to get from him though.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
No, has.

He's a much bigger risk too, but Tuquiri has it in him to be twice the player Ryan is. He may not get there but players have had good seasons at older years than Lote. Not saying I would have signed him over Ryan mind, just that there is potential for him to be something Ryan never will be.

uvelocity

International Coach
I thought he was alright in '11 - in fact there was even SOO talk. Ryan sucked and blew our last chance against the benchmark00's but '12 was a complete turnaround. And it's not lack of skill, Tuquiri was just completely lazy and looked like he was ready to retire all year. I'm surprised he cbf to go round again even.

Korobiete will play. Won't surprise me if we get someone better than lote too, and he ends up in NSW cup.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hmm maybe I recall incorrectly and am thinking of a prelim in 2009 then that was played on the Saturday night?

I just remember watching the 2009 AFL GF and then later that night having an NRL final on (remember it being the GF but must be wrong) and thinking "**** fair day of sport in this country"

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmm maybe I recall incorrectly and am thinking of a prelim in 2009 then that was played on the Saturday night?

I just remember watching the 2009 AFL GF and then later that night having an NRL final on (thought it was the GF) and thinking "**** fair day of sport in this country"
Probably so. We don't have any Sunday night finals unless we have a Monday public holiday following them.

It's very rare in recent times for the AFL grand final and the NRL grand final to actually line up - usually the AFL is a week earlier - so watching a prelim makes sense.