• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Also there's likely to be a born and bred Victorian playing in the NRL grand final :thumbsup:
Yup, great news. Goes to show that it basically takes a generation for any effect to start seeping through.

I mean, here in Melbourne, there was basically no RL structure, much more union than league organised down here. So to produce their first player is a great achievement, and they've got three or four more in the wings.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Sheens gorn!

Coach Tim Sheens quits Wests Tigers after 10 years in charge | thetelegraph.com.au

I'd be really worried if I were a Tigers fan. Not so much that Sheens is gone but that he was forced out because he tried to move on a couple of Benjis favorite players. Whoever comes in is going to have a really hard time stamping his authority on the playing group if he knows he can be booted if he pisses off Benji.

Also the rumours about Farah to Parra have serious legs. He's not gone yet but there's a massive offer on the table and he's very seriously considering it.

Buckle up Tigers fans. It might get rough.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yup, great news. Goes to show that it basically takes a generation for any effect to start seeping through.

I mean, here in Melbourne, there was basically no RL structure, much more union than league organised down here. So to produce their first player is a great achievement, and they've got three or four more in the wings.
Mahe Fonua playing for the storm is hardly a result of 'generational change'...

benchmark00

Read the post again. Maybe a little slower this time.
Read the post perfectly well, but this bloke is from a non traditional AFL background, and was born into a rugby league supporting family. His success as an NRL player has absolutely nothing to do with the Storm's success in the past decade and has everything to do with being born into an Islander family and being lead into the sport of rugby league.

benchmark00

I mean ****, how about Jeremy Smith? Was he a result of increased rugby league structures in Melbourne?

Nope, gonna go out on a limb and say it's because his family are kiwis.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Read the post perfectly well, but this bloke is from a non traditional AFL background, and was born into a rugby league supporting family. His success as an NRL player has absolutely nothing to do with the Storm's success in the past decade and has everything to do with being born into an Islander family and being lead into the sport of rugby league.
His success has plenty to do with an improvement in RL structures in Melbourne set up to support the Storm though. It's the same reason there are no RL juniors from SA or WA (though WA is getting closer) despite there being plenty of New South Welshmen/Qlders/Kiwis in both cities.

Pretty sure Vic was saying even with those structures it takes a generation for elite athletes to filter through the system, not that Melbourne is experiencing a sporting revolution brought about by the success of the Storm.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
One could definitely argue that the opportunity for a kid born into an Islander family to play in a structured junior rugby league competition, support a local NRL side, attend matches regularly and develop his skills enough in a home environment enough to be scouted by a Jersey Flegg team wouldn't have existed without the Storm though. Without the rugby league structures in Melbourne that have been enhanced and organised by the Storm's presence he probably would've been Aussie Rules or at least rugby union as a kid instead.

I mean ****, how about Jeremy Smith? Was he a result of increased rugby league structures in Melbourne?
Gareth Widdop falls into the same category as this as well, and I honestly do think the VRL and the Storm are at least in some way responsible for the development of these players. Without the opportunity to play an organised, serious level of junior rugby league - which they got - they could've been lost to the game.

Now personally I've always been of the opinion that the groundwork for expansion should be done years in advance by promoting and supporting these junior leagues rather than just dropping an NRL team in the expansion area and telling it to go for its life, but the fact remains the structure of junior rugby league in Victoria has improved markedly since the Storm's admission.

benchmark00

His success has plenty to do with an improvement in RL structures in Melbourne set up to support the Storm though. It's the same reason there are no RL juniors from SA or WA (though WA is getting closer) despite there being plenty of New South Welshmen/Qlders/Kiwis in both cities.

Pretty sure Vic was saying even with those structures it takes a generation for elite athletes to filter through the system, not that Melbourne is experiencing a sporting revolution brought about by the success of the Storm.
I'm not saying he was saying that, I'm saying that this is in no way proof that the structures are leading to more NRL players from Victoria, it's the exact same number. The players who are coming through and starting to play in the NRL are because of their family interests, not because there are new structures in place.

The only thing it's doing is giving rugby league players an opportunity to stay in Melbourne to play longer instead of going to QLD or NSW in their early years. That's not actually doing anything though because these players are still playing the sport.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You've changed Prince. What ever happened to the Storm Proof Fence?

Looking forward to the grand final though - that's good
However I'm working - that's bad
I think we get free frozen yoghurt though - that's good
The yoghurt is poisoned - that's bad.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You've changed Prince. What ever happened to the Storm Proof Fence?

Looking forward to the grand final though - that's good
However I'm working - that's bad
I think we get free frozen yoghurt though - that's good
The yoghurt is poisoned - that's bad.
Storm Proof House. Still going strong ftr.

benchmark00

One could definitely argue that the opportunity for a kid born into an Islander family to play in a structured junior rugby league competition, support a local NRL side, attend matches regularly and develop his skills enough in a home environment enough to be scouted by a Jersey Flegg team wouldn't have existed without the Storm though. Without the rugby league structures in Melbourne that have been enhanced and organised by the Storm's presence he probably would've been Aussie Rules or at least rugby union as a kid instead.

Gareth Widdop falls into the same category as this as well, and I honestly do think the VRL and the Storm are at least in some way responsible for the development of these players. Without the opportunity to play an organised, serious level of junior rugby league - which they got - they could've been lost to the game.

Now personally I've always been of the opinion that the groundwork for expansion should be done years in advance by promoting and supporting these junior leagues rather than just dropping an NRL team in the expansion area and telling it to go for its life, but the fact remains the structure of junior rugby league in Victoria has improved markedly since the Storm's admission.
First part: People who are born into RL families, regardless of location are always very likely to pursue the sport. I grew up in a town much much smaller than Melbourne, and even less inclined to accept any other code of football other than Australian Rules than Melbourne, yet this town has produced at least one (probs more, cbf looking it up) NRL player despite not having 'proper structures' or an NRL team. He was just born into a family which taught him that Rugby League is good, and he followed that on.

Part two: I'm not saying the junior RL structures haven't improved, but this dude that's playing for the storm is not an example of these structures ensuring Victorians RL followers pursue NRL. This bloke would have pursued the sport regardless. If he wasn't getting identified in Vic, he wouldve gone to QLD or NSW, either way he wouldn't have been lost to the sport.

uvelocity

International Coach
I grew up in a town much much smaller than Melbourne,

the hometown of benchmark00

on sheensy. ****. untenable at this point so yeah, but anyone they get won't be as good. wheels falling off. Also sausage sheens didn't boot beau, management were just tardy on getting the contract for him to sign that they promised him over a year ago to begin with, and he gave up on them. can't blame him.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Part two: I'm not saying the junior RL structures haven't improved, but this dude that's playing for the storm is not an example of these structures ensuring Victorians RL followers pursue NRL. This bloke would have pursued the sport regardless. If he wasn't getting identified in Vic, he wouldve gone to QLD or NSW, either way he wouldn't have been lost to the sport.
I get you're saying that players are still going to be coming from the same pool and that there were pathways available pre-Storm, but better RL structures would almost certainly lead to more elite players coming through the ranks. Better coaches, equipment and facilities, more games against better players and the option of staying in your home city rather than having to pack up and move state to pursue a dream. Not to mention having a team to support every other weekend in a first class stadium. Not sure how you could see that as being a wash for the sport if you're being honest.

on sheensy. ****. untenable at this point so yeah, but anyone they get won't be as good. wheels falling off. Also sausage sheens didn't boot beau, management were just tardy on getting the contract for him to sign that they promised him over a year ago to begin with, and he gave up on them. can't blame him.
The story I've heard is that Sheens took the rap amongst the playing group for the outcome. Benji in particular wasn't happy and the position of the players was the final straw.

But yeah untenable sounds about right if that kind of stuff is going down.

uvelocity

International Coach
one thing I was thinking about last night, was beau said they thrice verbally offered a 3 year deal, firstly at the arse end of 2011, but were yet to put it on paper until after he'd recently met with Cronulla.

what I'm thinking, is do these club political ****wits ever go to training and say hello, do they meet the players? I don't see how sheens can be to blame for beau not being given the contract to sign