• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Its pretty weird but this new/old system has just made the finals series a little bit too predictable this year. Maybe its due to the top 5 being a class above the rest of the field, bring back a top 5 finals series!
You're just saying that because you picked the Manly game #cowswozrobbed. :ph34r:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It was weird really, I'm from Nth QLD mate, so I do like the Cowboys - I just didn't think they'd win.

Reckon it was pretty clear from the outset that the winner was going to come from one of the top 5 teams though. They were clearly the best teams during the year so any finals series would have seen the same result I guess.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
haha grade A rant

Apart from Ennis the rest of the dogs playing group I find quite likeable. I think both the dogs and souths play a pretty attractive brand of football too. Can't carry so much hate around matey :laugh:
Actually agree with you on the Dogs from a purely footy perspective. Have really enjoyed watching them this year, even more so than Souffs who haven't been bad either. Enjoyed the Cows too.

But comon, hate is what makes the game go around. After a Penrith victory my favorite thing is seeing a player I hate get absolutely hammered or a team I hate get 50 put on them.

Encouraging rivalry is part of the reason I support the Bears coming back. Brings back one of the great rivalries in the game and pisses off Manly. Win/win. :ph34r:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon it was pretty clear from the outset that the winner was going to come from one of the top 5 teams though. They were clearly the best teams during the year so any finals series would have seen the same result I guess.
Yeah no argument there. Thought the Sharks were smokeys but their mid season injury slump and losing Carney in the final really poured cold water on that.

I still think we're more likely to see a winner from the bottom 5 with this system. Fact remains that the path to the GF is easier for teams 7-8. Unlike the AFL we also have a mid season rep period which increases the likelyhood of the best teams finishing lower than they deserve if luck deserts them during Origin.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dunno who the **** I'll support when we lose....don't like any of the three other teams left.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Encouraging rivalry is part of the reason I support the Bears coming back. Brings back one of the great rivalries in the game and pisses off Manly. Win/win. :ph34r:
Why would be be pissed off the Bears come back. It just means there is another side that just there is make the numbers that have no chance of winning the comp. Also means extra games home game at Brookvale and ones less game to travel outside gods' country. :happy:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Why would be be pissed off the Bears come back. It just means there is another side that just there is make the numbers that have no chance of winning the comp. Also means extra games home game at Brookvale and ones less game to travel outside gods' country. :happy:
Wasn't really a serious comment, hence the :ph34r: Expansion is too big an issue to be done for the lols, even if those lols are at Manlys expense.

Reckon the Bears on the CC would be good for Manly actually. A genuine rivalry to get tongues wagging on the north shore, fresh with memories of the Northern Eagles debacle.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Thoughts on Sheens, Ryan, Heighington and probably Ayshford shown the door at WT and Kite and Anasta incoming?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Shades of Parra recruitment from a couple years back bringing in Chris Hicks, Paul Whatuira, Carl Webb, Chris Walker etc.

Absolutely diabolical decisions. Kite isn't terrible but still. Lol at Utai and Lote staying on. I heard Utai might get a THREE year contract.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
There's got to be some factional **** going down for the exact same people (Ayshford aside) reported to be off to Penrith last year being shown the door at the exact same time a year later.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't really a serious comment, hence the :ph34r: Expansion is too big an issue to be done for the lols, even if those lols are at Manlys expense.

Reckon the Bears on the CC would be good for Manly actually. A genuine rivalry to get tongues wagging on the north shore, fresh with memories of the Northern Eagles debacle.
Would be nice from a silvery POV to have the Bears back.

But personally think their is already enough teams in NSW. Queensland, Perth or NZ need more/new teams.

uvelocity

International Coach
I don't even know what to say. Gonna watch the footy show tonight for the first time in ages. Anasta and kite fmd. haven't seen word on sheens but why would you axe him? I'll take one premiership and nine years of no finals over 10 years of second places. The recruitment is just bizzare. I don't want Tuquiri, he is done. was a coup at the time, but he's done. Utai was a brilliant stop gap, but he's done. Heighington not so worried but I guess that means playing Anasta at lock (was hoping he would have a change of heart and retire in the off season)

but kite? please piss off no way. blair was a poor choice would love if they got rid of him. Lawrence had a pretty poor season though got injured and shifted around a lot. We get Tedesco back and Sirro, and Miller should hopefully step up. Korrobiete is gun.

Its all happening anyway

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Souths are easily the most likable team remaining for me and I think they play the best brand of football from a neutral perspective too.

I really don't want a grand final consisting of two teams who have already met in the finals series even though its quite likely to happen.

Its pretty weird but this new/old system has just made the finals series a little bit too predictable this year. Maybe its due to the top 5 being a class above the rest of the field, bring back a top 5 finals series!
Always thought it was the best system. When the SL (English version) first brought in play-offs to decide the title we had a 5-team finals series and it worked perfectly. Rewarded the team who finished top and made every game matter.

Eight teams from sixteen (or even fourteen as we have up here...) is too many, IMHO. Dilutes the quality.

uvelocity

International Coach
don't think it dilutes the quality much brumbers, most every team is damn close. raiders were lucky to make the finals and perhaps unlucky to not be playing tomorrow night really.