• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently we're supposed to be relieved Ben Ikin is back commentating for the QLD Cup. Bloke's the worst commentator I've ever heard...hope A Current Affair does another story on his dad soon.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't mind that nein has decided to show a QLD Cup game live, but surely in this day and age they should be able to show the Sunday NRL match live. I don't even mind if the game is played at 4pm live, but yeah it has to be live. As it currently stands it's the one game each week that I routinely don't watch.

So happy with my Manly win btw. I also put a sneaky bet on Daly Cherry Evans to be Dally M - only put $20 on him, but I reckon he's a solid chance provided QLD don't pick him on the bench in Origin.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Utai is such a horrible performer. Honestly, I don't blame Mitch Brown for leaving as he's miles better.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Utai is such a horrible performer. Honestly, I don't blame Mitch Brown for leaving as he's miles better.
Completely baffles me that they let Brown go. He was no frills but he didn't let you down, could cover anywhere from 1-5, good under the high ball, could tackle etc. Utai breaks the occassional tackle, but the Tigers would have won that game without him last night. He was directly responsible for 8 Manly points.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
To anyone who watches both (Brumby/Cribb, looking at you) what's the standard of NRL like compared to Super League?

Last night's Leeds v Warrington game was top notch.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To anyone who watches both (Brumby/Cribb, looking at you) what's the standard of NRL like compared to Super League?

Last night's Leeds v Warrington game was top notch.
NRL is generally more masculine :ph34r:

In general, though I've not seem much Super League this year, I think your comp is less regimented in structure than the NRL. Traditionally the fitness levels here used to be higher, but that is less so now. It used to mean the game was faster here, but not as skillful in terms of blokes off loading. That's going back a ways now.

In the 70s we had some gun Pom forwards come here. Mal Reilly and Brian Lockwood to name two. In the 80s Lee Crooks and in particular Kevin Ward were good. How the latter didn't win the Churchill Medal in the 87 GF is up there with Malcolm Johnston's ride on Kingston Town in the 82 Melbourne Cup for sporting travesties.

Peter Sterling said the other day he thinks Sam Burgess is the best English import to come here since Reilly, which is a massive wrap given the blokes I've mentioned, plus the likes of Hanley. Burgess and Ellis are guns, so is the ranga playing for the Scum Dog Millionaires now, can't think of his name. Widdop goes ok for the Drizzle too, though the cubt only got me 16 dream team points this week.

Actually think your pack would be right up there now. Not sure who your hooker is, but if you had the two Burgess lads, Ellis and the ranga, you'd have a fair bit going for you.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
James Roby is generally the 9 and he's very good.

The best teams in Super League would be competitive these days in the NRL. The NRL level is good, but it's not amazing. Most teams have some sort of deficiency thanks to the salary cap.

EDIT - I should clarify what I mean by competitive. I don't think an ESL team is capable of say finishing in the top 5 or 6 teams if they were to join the NRL, but if they had a good year and went largely injury free one or two of the clubs could jag a spot in the top 8 if they were lucky. Normally they would just be an also ran.

NRL is definitely the best comp. Why else would England's best want to come here to Test themselves..

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
NRL is definitely the best comp. Why else would England's best want to come here to Test themselves..
Yeah, as if anyone would prefer a Sydney lifestyle to the north of England. Pah. Keep your sunshine and beaches; they have rain and black pudding.

In all seriousness, the NRL has much greater strength in depth than the Super League. The real difference is that ball-players the SH produces tho. Whilst our pack is competitive, we really struggled to produce anyone with hands like Joey or even Benji. Tompkins is about the most exciting back talent we've produced since the golden Newlove/Connelly/Robinson/Radlinski generation all left the stage, but that Jack Reed was our star performer in the 4 Nations and we've made a Plastic Pom out of Rangi Chase speaks volumes for our options.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Will trade Etu Uaisele for a Hungry Jacks Whopper Meal Deal.
Thought of this post when we brought him in during the offseason. He actually played very well yesterday. Took a really tricky bomb, strong defensively and unlucky not to have a try. He has like 7 tries in 3 games for Windsor too.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm surprised that Luke Burt has been dropped from the Parra team to make way for Hayne. I was definitely expecting Cheyse Blair to be omitted with Burt going to his usual wing position. I'm not a huge Burt fan, but still find it to be a big call.

Burgey

I'm surprised that Luke Burt has been dropped from the Parra team to make way for Hayne. I was definitely expecting Cheyse Blair to be omitted with Burt going to his usual wing position. I'm not a huge Burt fan, but still find it to be a big call.
Bad for my Dream Team, as I left Hayne out of the 17, and Burt was in.

I think it's a bad call tbh. He's pretty well a mistake free player. Unless Kearney was worried he doesn't match up well agains the bigger Warriors outside backs.

I hope he plays next week. He's been a fine player for us over many years.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
They rate Blair pretty highly in terms of potential. They might feel it's time for a guy with limited potential to be put out to pasture in favor of blooding a youngster. Burt's hardly good enough to be an automatic pick, particularly when you don't need a goalkicker any more.

Also, as Burgey mentions, Vatuvei vs Burt could be murder.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sio could mark Vatuvei, Burt could go up against Tupou. I'm looking forward to watching Hurrell tonight, I feel sorry for whoever is marking him.

I'm also hearing that Hindmarsh is out, not 100% sure yet though.

Burgey

Sio could mark Vatuvei, Burt could go up against Tupou. I'm looking forward to watching Hurrell tonight, I feel sorry for whoever is marking him.

I'm also hearing that Hindmarsh is out, not 100% sure yet though.
Oh ffs, he's my ****ing captain.