• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
AFL are already talking about this being the last of the "TV" rights.
Wouldn't surprise me.

There'll need to be a huge amount of money from fans to pass the 1.25b mark though. Say subscription is priced at $200 p/y, the leagues will need to sell 6 million subscriptions to get close to the figure. There'll be advertising revenue, and I guess that will go directly to the respective leagues but then you have to factor in production costs. Just seems like such a huge number of required subscribers.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So many free online streams out there that $200 per year sounds hefty.

Or would the free online streams no longer exist..

BTW, Loz as NSW coach!

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If it means he's no longer commentating that's the best TV related news an NRL fan has gotten all day.
Agree. I actually think he's a lot smarter then how he comes across on TV. NSW obviously wanted a past player who bled for NSW and I think they've made the right choice.

Should be a smooth transfer from Stuart to Daley too.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'd say it comes down to broadband availability and bandwidth. Post 2018 will probably feature much more internet focused packages with the NBN rolling out.
wtf I'm not talking exclusively online. Offer the same thing NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL offer in that you can watch whatever games you want on TV that are available to you, but then offer a package online for those who want it.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wtf I'm not talking exclusively online. Offer the same thing NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL offer in that you can watch whatever games you want on TV that are available to you, but then offer a package online for those who want it.
AWTA - so ghey that this isn't an option. My interest in league has waned over the past 5 years, and I expect it will continue to for another 5 years, mostly to do with the **** TV coverage. I don't have Foxtel, so there's only 1 live game a week, and 60% of the time it's showing a team I rather hate.

howardj

International Coach
I don't really see the bold as negatives (though swap Fittler for Hadley and Rabs and I'll pay the last one).

MNF is fine. It's a pain when your team is hosting it but clubs who host MNF are compensated for the reduction in crowds. It's a huge cash spinner for the game but best of all it's awesome coming home and watching a game of footy every Monday. As long as there are safeguards against clubs hosting it too regularly (no more than 2 matches per club) I think it's absolutely fine.

The schedule of the comp is fine. Origin on a Wednesday isn't perfect, but neither is a weekend with absolutely zero footy. The extra money will more than compensate players so while their welfare is important, they're hardly losing out with this deal. I don't see a mid year international break as particularly important either. I'd prefer the regular comp tbh. The regular Aus/NZ test is still a mid year fixture.

Really don't see a night GF as a big deal either. If your team is playing you'll be there and you'll be taking the Monday off. If not you're likely watching at home which means the time slot is great.

The other 3 are definitely not good. Very much over Friday night Broncos.

2 things, hopefully without turning this into a pissing match.

The AFL didn't have a heavily conflicted governance structure for 15 years before the signing of their deal. That kind of influence in an organization doesn't just disappear in 6 months.

The AFL had to introduce 2 new teams in non-AFL areas and an extra match weekly to get their deal. Despite the fact that might pay off for them in the long run, these teams will be a significant drain on the AFL purse for the medium term. That's a pretty significant concession.

Additionally, first and last rights have been waived by Nine for any new deals meaning the NRL will be able to drive a much harder bargain in 2018. Given the possible changes to the media landscape in that time the game will be well positioned to capitalize.

All that being said if given the choice I'd prefer the coverage the AFL got out of their deal, no question.
Good points all.

I guess the three big sticking points for me are:

1. Player welfare - 24 rounds, plus rep, plus finals is too much. You have to look after your most valuable asset.

2. FTA coverage - one live game per week for the next five years is astonishing.

3. The amount of night football - it's not family friendly, and nor is it conducive to good football. By all means, have all the Channel Nine games at night for ratings and revenue, but have half the games each round during the day like the AFL do.

I see the TV rights as a one in every five year opportunity to set your sail. For mine, because this deal represents such a big increase from the pathetically low deal last time, the NRL seems to have been so overwhelmed by the increase in dollars, they have signed away the above three points to the detriment of the game. They were always going to get a big increase from last time (the last deal was pathetcially low), and should have shown more confidence in their product - content in the knowledge that the sport was not going to go FTA unbroadcasted if Nine dropped out.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
2. FTA coverage - one live game per week for the next five years is astonishing.
I think my attitude to this is probably heavily influenced by the fact I have Foxtel, but this one doesn't seem that bad to me. It's not GOOD don't get me wrong, but people are blowing it up like the game will die because of this issue. Yes the AFL get 4 games p/w, League isn't AFL.

Firstly it's much better suited to getting money out of a regular subscription service. It's not easy getting around Sydney, so the lure of having every game on your TV is powerful. It's also easier for the AFL to leverage live viewers into money from advertising (due to natural breaks in play). It's harder for RL which is why the delayed games are preferred by the broadcasters.

The Sunday game isn't far off being live anyway. The delay is 60 mins. Not hard to stay away from social media/internet for an hour and just watch it like it was live.

I see the TV rights as a one in every five year opportunity to set your sail. For mine, because this deal represents such a big increase from the pathetically low deal last time, the NRL seems to have been so overwhelmed by the increase in dollars, they have signed away the above three points to the detriment of the game. They were always going to get a big increase from last time (the last deal was pathetcially low), and should have shown more confidence in their product - content in the knowledge that the sport was not going to go FTA unbroadcasted if Nine dropped out.
I think the negative aspects of this deal stem from the problem the game has had with money and governance for the last decade and a half.

For a significant national sporting competition the game had very little money. Correcting that problem was extremely important and shouldn't be sneezed at. Now that the financial position is secure and the structure of the organization is no longer conflicted the game will be well placed to extract further concessions out of future negotiations, or even work towards its own subscription service like the AFL appears to be doing.

It's overwhelmingly a positive result for the sport.

howardj

International Coach
Lolee Daley

"A and B defender"

"Playing square"

"On the edges"

At least we won't have to hear any of that sort of garbage in the Comm Box

It's like he tries to be cutting edge in his terminology in an attempt to bluff people that he's across things

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The Sunday game isn't far off being live anyway. The delay is 60 mins. Not hard to stay away from social media/internet for an hour and just watch it like it was live.
Impossible in the modern day, especially with my addition to super coach.

I have stopped watching the Sunday games, unless Manly play, because you always know the score.

It may as well be replay, half the game is finished by the time it is aired.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Lolee Daley

"A and B defender"

"Playing square"

"On the edges"

At least we won't have to hear any of that sort of garbage in the Comm Box

It's like he tries to be cutting edge in his terminology in an attempt to bluff people that he's across things
Anytime a team gets in the opposition 20. "They'll be looking to score this set."

About any halfback. "He's at his best when he's running straight."

Impossible in the modern day, especially with my addition to super coach.
In fairness this is a massive problem.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i guess i just don't get why you don't push the start time to 3:30 or 3:45. game ends at 5:30-5:40, and you can do a post game show of value, or if there's extra time, show that. that's what the AFL did, pushed the 2pm Sunday game to 3pm.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Reckon Nein could show rolling commercials on the bottom of the screen during video ref decisions and continue getting commentators occasionally mentioning tv shows during breaks in play. Also, during half time, they can pack it with commercials.

I'm almost certain that if it went live, they'd actually have more people watching their lame commercials compared to the current delayed commercial happy coverage where people just change the channel when the ads are on, or don't bother watching..

uvelocity

International Coach
you can't tell nein anything

or any of them

the hate on social media for 10/onehd over putting f1 and motogp on SD was ignored, although delaying the coverage for WA got reversed pretty quick

they will do whatever they think is best, which is usually something stupid

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interested to hear Burgeys thoughts on Hindmarsh and Burt's last game being moved to ANZ.
I'm not disappointed they've moved it, now that Hornby and Young are retiring too. But of course the idiots announce it during the week after Parra has played its second to last home game already. In other words, no chance for the fans to send off Burty and Hindy the way they deserve.

In other news, the Tigers are a complete ****ing joke.