• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Manly had injuries to key personnel throughout the year too, but they hung in there and are now well in the mix. Injuries don't help, but they happen to lots of clubs and handling them is part of being a good team. They've been in games against the better teams all year, just haven't been able to hold on, which is either fitness or mental. Either way it's the coach's domain.

But yes I completely agree they'll bounce back. Still think they'll need a good coach to ensure it happens though.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Any experienced Aussie coaches coming off contract/getting sacked end of this season? I know the Warriors are big on using Kiwi resources where possible but I really think someone experienced in the NRL is what we need to get the best out of these players.

McClennan and Kearney have both proved they're capable of bringing a group like the national team together to win a big one-off match (Tri Nations, World Cup etc) but the NRL is a completely different beast.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Any experienced Aussie coaches coming off contract/getting sacked end of this season? I know the Warriors are big on using Kiwi resources where possible but I really think someone experienced in the NRL is what we need to get the best out of these players.
Anderson, Folkes and Elliott are probably the most experienced Aussie coaches looking for work atm. Stone, Dymock and Henjak are less experienced but out of work. Of the teams in the bottom half only Smith would be even a remote possibility of being available for 2013 (Sheens, Furner and Cartwright aren't going anywhere). Nathan Brown and Graham Murray always seem to get mentioned when there's a coaching vacancy.

My gut tells me they'll get a Kiwi, but no idea really.

In other news the game's TV deal is out for the next 5 years. 1.025b over 5 years with NZ and internet rights not finalized.

Great money obviously, more than double what the game is working with currently. Fixed schedule for the first 20 rounds is also pretty good. Looks like we're stuck with Friday night Broncos for the time being though, thirteen Sunday night matches and Sunday FTA is still a delayed game so not all good news.

howardj

International Coach
Bad Points

- Monday night football retained (there should be more day games, not night games such as this that aren’t even on during the weekend)

- No stand alone Origin games (rubbish outcome for player welfare, and for the equity of the competition with the Broncos and the Storm massively disadvantaged)

- Back to a night-time GF

- Two Friday night games, presumably so they can broadcast the Broncos back into Qld every single Friday night. I would love for the Broncos to play their home games on a Sunday for a change. Plus, one Friday night game is more than enough…who wants to stay up until 11:30pm watching two games?)

- It does not appear Nine has to broadcast its games live (i.e. but for one Friday night game)

- No Fox simulcast of Channel Nine matches (in the AFL, I can get every game live on Fox, even the Channel Seven games)

- The same protracted 26 week season, leaving no room for mid year Test series like the old days. I have no interest in Test matches after the Grand Final which is when they will have to be played for the next five years)

- Brad Fittler for the next five years

All told, other than a fixed schedule for the first 20 rounds, it seems no change from the last five years except more money for the same sub-par treatment of fans

AFL drove a much harder bargain

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it was easier to drive a hard bargain for the AFL. The NRL were very much chained by the 1 billion tag. They had to get it. No night grand final and forcing us to show games live? Ok, we'll drop 200 million from that price.

howardj

International Coach
In my view, Channel Nine were never going to walk away from the NRL rights

They would have had no Winter sports content at all

The NRL had them over a barrel in my opinion

It was an advantage for the NRL that the AFL went first

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Don't know why NRL don't have any games on FTA on a Saturday.

In my view, Channel Nine were never going to walk away from the NRL rights

They would have had no Winter sports content at all

The NRL had them over a barrel in my opinion

It was an advantage for the NRL that the AFL went first
I thought they might've pushed for another FTA game and resell it to Ch 10.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The not having to show live games is the worst part of the deal.

I rarely watch either of the delayed games on nein and I know heaps others who do the same.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Bad Points

- Monday night football retained (there should be more day games, not night games such as this that aren’t even on during the weekend)

- No stand alone Origin games (rubbish outcome for player welfare, and for the equity of the competition with the Broncos and the Storm massively disadvantaged)

- Back to a night-time GF

- Two Friday night games, presumably so they can broadcast the Broncos back into Qld every single Friday night. I would love for the Broncos to play their home games on a Sunday for a change. Plus, one Friday night game is more than enough…who wants to stay up until 11:30pm watching two games?)

- It does not appear Nine has to broadcast its games live (i.e. but for one Friday night game)

- No Fox simulcast of Channel Nine matches (in the AFL, I can get every game live on Fox, even the Channel Seven games)

- The same protracted 26 week season, leaving no room for mid year Test series like the old days. I have no interest in Test matches after the Grand Final which is when they will have to be played for the next five years)

- Brad Fittler for the next five years
I don't really see the bold as negatives (though swap Fittler for Hadley and Rabs and I'll pay the last one).

MNF is fine. It's a pain when your team is hosting it but clubs who host MNF are compensated for the reduction in crowds. It's a huge cash spinner for the game but best of all it's awesome coming home and watching a game of footy every Monday. As long as there are safeguards against clubs hosting it too regularly (no more than 2 matches per club) I think it's absolutely fine.

The schedule of the comp is fine. Origin on a Wednesday isn't perfect, but neither is a weekend with absolutely zero footy. The extra money will more than compensate players so while their welfare is important, they're hardly losing out with this deal. I don't see a mid year international break as particularly important either. I'd prefer the regular comp tbh. The regular Aus/NZ test is still a mid year fixture.

Really don't see a night GF as a big deal either. If your team is playing you'll be there and you'll be taking the Monday off. If not you're likely watching at home which means the time slot is great.

The other 3 are definitely not good. Very much over Friday night Broncos.

AFL drove a much harder bargain
2 things, hopefully without turning this into a pissing match.

The AFL didn't have a heavily conflicted governance structure for 15 years before the signing of their deal. That kind of influence in an organization doesn't just disappear in 6 months.

The AFL had to introduce 2 new teams in non-AFL areas and an extra match weekly to get their deal. Despite the fact that might pay off for them in the long run, these teams will be a significant drain on the AFL purse for the medium term. That's a pretty significant concession.

Additionally, first and last rights have been waived by Nine for any new deals meaning the NRL will be able to drive a much harder bargain in 2018. Given the possible changes to the media landscape in that time the game will be well positioned to capitalize.

All that being said if given the choice I'd prefer the coverage the AFL got out of their deal, no question.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
it was easier to drive a hard bargain for the AFL. The NRL were very much chained by the 1 billion tag. They had to get it. No night grand final and forcing us to show games live? Ok, we'll drop 200 million from that price.
I think the history of the game being tied to media organizations had far more to do with it.

Hopefully this will be the last time we get screwed by it.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought they might've pushed for another FTA game and resell it to Ch 10.
Interesting point. Given there are several mature expansion bids currently applying for a license, I wonder if there's a possibility of an extra game being sold FTA to another player in say 2015.

uvelocity

International Coach
day granny is more atmosphere, but from now on qld gets the monday off as well anyway

if they do an internet season pass what games are on fta are moot anyway

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
day granny is more atmosphere, but from now on qld gets the monday off as well anyway

if they do an internet season pass what games are on fta are moot anyway
Digital rights are to Foxtel, I think I read.

Would that mean that internet passes would only be available to Foxtel subscribers? Or could you buy a pass through Foxtel without having a subscription?

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year

Would that mean that internet passes would only be available to Foxtel subscribers? Or could you buy a pass through Foxtel without having a subscription?
Hmmm I hadn't read that, but then the articles I've read haven't mentioned Internet rights either way.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT

I have the Premier League On Demand service and don't have a Foxtel subscription, so I'd assume not.

I don't know why Australian sports don't do the same as the Americans and charge for League Passes for the full season online. Surely it's not far away. It's sooooo much better.

howardj

International Coach
I just think if I am a 10 year old boy in Sydney with no Foxtel and love league, I get to watch one live game each week, probably can't stay up to watch the 2nd Friday game, I get to watch no Saturday game at all, and I already know the result of the Sunday match. And if I want to go to a game, I likely have to convince my folks to take me at night.

Yes the $1 billion is great, but there's just no vision in this deal - no change from the status quo.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know why Australian sports don't do the same as the Americans and charge for League Passes for the full season online. Surely it's not far away. It's sooooo much better.
I'd say it comes down to broadband availability and bandwidth. Post 2018 will probably feature much more internet focused packages with the NBN rolling out.