Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Mick Slater has been offered a job co-hosting The Footy Show
    Slater offers very little valuable cricket insight, and he actually played cricket at a high level. Don't hold out much hope for him as a footy analyst, but then again they talk next to no footy on the footy show anyway so maybe 9 know what they're doing.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

gooooooo tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

He's more about talking random **** during the cricket anyway. I don't think it's that bad of an idea given the premise of the Footy Show.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Who does Slats barrack for?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Who does Slats barrack for?
    He's from Wagga, so anyone's guess really. Gut feeling says Souths or St George though; they've always had pretty strong bush support.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Manly is Slater's team
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Wac.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Have joined the dream team league or whatever it's called. Got a pretty rank side as I've chosen a number of blokes I like as opposed to some ****s who are good but who I hate.

Is it played in a format where you get points for tackles, try "assists" etc?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Wac.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Is it played in a format where you get points for tackles, try "assists" etc?
    Pretty much. They've done extensive changes to the scoring system over the last year. In the past the scoring has favored defensive workhorses and goalkickers (Corey Parker was amazing). This year the bonuses for big attacking plays (scoring tries, line breaks, tackle busts etc) are larger, while penalties for mistakes (knock ons, missed or innefective tackles etc) are also larger. The idea being that you can look for more in a winger than just if he's a good goal kicker.

A good explaination can be found here.

Still tons of spots left folks. Here is a direct link.
    Last edited by Ausage; 20-02-2012 at 11:51 PM.

The McIntyre system has been scrapped!

The AFL system will be adopted

It's about time!

This is good news as:

- Team 8 should never get a free shot at 1 in the first week of the finals, nor should 7 get a free shot at 2

- You can now watch every finals game knowing the consequences of a win or loss (under McIntyre, in the first week of the finals, you never knew what each game meant until the whole weekend was finished). ANd sometimes the 4 v 5 and 3 v 6 games meant essentially nil as on some occassions the winner and loser both had to play sudden death the next weekend.
    Last edited by howardj; 21-02-2012 at 11:33 PM.

I've been a supporter of McIntyre for a long time. Might as well have another go at explaining why.

- Team 8 should never get a free shot at 1 in the first week of the finals, nor should 7 get a free shot at 2
    You make it sound like team 8 would want a "free shot" at team 1 in the first round. There is absolutely nothing good about coming up against the top team away from home in a sudden death match. That is the absolute toughest task you could possibly ask for to ensure survival. Now 7-8 don't have to deal with that.

- You can now watch every finals game knowing the consequences of a win or loss (under McIntyre, in the first week of the finals, you never knew what each game meant until the whole weekend was finished).
    That's not a bad thing. I'll bet Warriors and Dragons fans couldn't take their eyes away from the remaining games, while Broncos and Tiger supporters would have been cheering the Knights and Cowboys every bit as hard as they cheer their own team. It adds another dimension to every contest.

You don't have to wait till the end of the week to know what's happening. The Dragons were safe when Manly beat Cowboys for example. Warriors fans still had to sweat, but if they wanted more security their team should have finished higher.

ANd sometimes the 4 v 5 and 3 v 6 games meant essentially nil as on some occassions the winner and loser both had to play sudden death the next weekend.
    And sometimes 4v5 becomes a contest for a week off. Sometimes they become sudden death games. What is clear about those positions is that you're always better placed the higher up you finish, and you're always rewarded for winning and punished for losing.

The question of whether it's a fair system or not depends on whether you define fair as all 8 teams having a better chance of making the final, or if you define it as your chance at making the final (and at surviving week 1) being directly proportional to your position on the ladder. The former is the AFL/ARL/New NRL system, the latter is McIntyre.

To illustrate you only need to look at the possible outcomes and weigh them against the risks in both scenarios. The big winners out of the change are positions 7-8, while the big losers are positions 1-2. There are pros and cons for teams 3-6 but for the most part the benefits for these positions are mixed. That's why it bothers me so much when I read the argument that this benefits the teams that performed better over the season. It is actually the exact opposite.

The only problems with McIntyre is that it theoretically set up less competetive matches in week 1 (offset by the fact that the NRL is structured to be more even) and that people didn't understand it. I truly believe that the second problem is the reason the system has been canned. People cbf actually thinking about something.

Sorry but any system that allows for the possibility of 4 v 5 and 3 v 6 being inconsequential games, is ridiculous.

It's the pointy/exciting end of the season. To have inconsequential games is ridiculous.
    Last edited by howardj; 22-02-2012 at 03:56 AM.

3 beats 6, and yet they are both thrust into exactly the same position the folllowing week - sudden death

any system that even allows for the possibility of that happening is just jarring

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    I've been a supporter of McIntyre for a long time. Might as well have another go at explaining why.

You make it sound like team 8 would want a "free shot" at team 1 in the first round. There is absolutely nothing good about coming up against the top team away from home in a sudden death match. That is the absolute toughest task you could possibly ask for to ensure survival. Now 7-8 don't have to deal with that.

That's not a bad thing. I'll bet Warriors and Dragons fans couldn't take their eyes away from the remaining games, while Broncos and Tiger supporters would have been cheering the Knights and Cowboys every bit as hard as they cheer their own team. It adds another dimension to every contest.

You don't have to wait till the end of the week to know what's happening. The Dragons were safe when Manly beat Cowboys for example. Warriors fans still had to sweat, but if they wanted more security their team should have finished higher.

And sometimes 4v5 becomes a contest for a week off. Sometimes they become sudden death games. What is clear about those positions is that you're always better placed the higher up you finish, and you're always rewarded for winning and punished for losing.

The question of whether it's a fair system or not depends on whether you define fair as all 8 teams having a better chance of making the final, or if you define it as your chance at making the final (and at surviving week 1) being directly proportional to your position on the ladder. The former is the AFL/ARL/New NRL system, the latter is McIntyre.

To illustrate you only need to look at the possible outcomes and weigh them against the risks in both scenarios. The big winners out of the change are positions 7-8, while the big losers are positions 1-2. There are pros and cons for teams 3-6 but for the most part the benefits for these positions are mixed. That's why it bothers me so much when I read the argument that this benefits the teams that performed better over the season. It is actually the exact opposite.

The only problems with McIntyre is that it theoretically set up less competetive matches in week 1 (offset by the fact that the NRL is structured to be more even) and that people didn't understand it. I truly believe that the second problem is the reason the system has been canned. People cbf actually thinking about something.

I think eight teams is at least two too many in a final series for a sixteen team comp, so I've always favoured the McIntyre system for that reason (well actually I favour a top five system - but if we must have a top eight..). If you're going to allow the farce that is seventh and eighth making the finals then you should at least make it exceptionally hard for them to progress; letting them build momentum slowly against lower ranked sides is terrible idea IMO.

Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread Information