• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didn't say I'd leave him out tbh. I just get the feeling it will happen. Playing him at 6 was just absurd, and Sticky has already said that's where he sees him playing, so if Carney is the better 6 (and he is)...

It'll come down to whether he's fit for me. If he's anywhere remotely near his best he'll be light years ahead of Morris even if they do pick Dugan or Stewart at FB. I've only watched a couple of his games this year though and he hasn't looked 100%.
He should play fullback ffs. Dugan will only just be back from a long term injury. Minichello, who I rate enormously as probably the best classic "fullback of anyone since the days of Belcher and Tim Brasher, is a light of other days.

If you play Hayne at fullback, he can cover an injury in the halves or pretty well anywhere in the backline for that matter, if there's a need for a reshuffle, and he can get as involved as he likes.

I'd have both Hayne and Carney in the side, fwiw.

I hope I see Stuart and Fulton at Society cafe like I did last year as they came out of a selection meeting, so I can give them another spray. Stupid ****s they are.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This.

Morgan looks like a plodding second rower placed out of position, much like Paulo was last year when we ran out of centres.

Esi just looks like an addendum to Willie's contract. And I think he rather is. He flat out cost us the game against Cronulla last week, without a shadow of a doubt.

It's hard to believe a club which has historically produced so many good/ great backs has got itself in a psotion where the absence for two years through injury of a 20-21 year old rookie centre in Loko has basically cruelled one whole side of the field for us.

Expect the Tigers to run everything at that side this weekend, and rack up 50.

We'll score 60 though :ph34r:
Neither Morgan or Esi are actually playing this week; Kearney's moved Blair from wing to centre and brought Burt in. Blair's decision-making in defence on the wing has been terrible, but having to defend with Morgan/Esi wouldn't have helped there and despite some poor decisions he looks pretty good technically as a tackler, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Neither Morgan or Esi are actually playing this week; Kearney's moved Blair from wing to centre and brought Burt in. Blair's decision-making in defence on the wing has been terrible, but having to defend with Morgan/Esi wouldn't have helped there and despite some poor decisions he looks pretty good technically as a tackler, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.
Blair went pretty well at centre in the 20s Origin.

In b4 "yeah but it was 20s".

Parra's depth problems stem from a massive amount of cap space being tied up in two players imo. Melbourne would have the same problem but they have an uncanny ability to turn nuffies into first grade standard footballers as well as being uncannily lucky with injuries.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1. Minichiello
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Morris
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Buderus
10. Tamou
11. Learoyd-Lahrs
12. Bird
13. Lewis

14. Hayne
15. Merrin
16. Watmough
17. Sims

Ok so TLL and Mini look the odd ones out don't they. Mini is SAFE and experienced while Dugan and Stewart are way too injured proned. I nearly went for Morris at the back, but he hasn't been that good for NSW, so while his form has been excellent for the Dragons, I'm keeping him on the wing, due to Gordon being out injured.

TLL will start as a third prop effectively with Bird and Lewis running either side of the ruck, a little wider. I expect TLL to be the first man benched and Watmough coming on for him after around 20 minutes. Merrin will come on for Tamou soon after and then in the second half TLL comes back on as a prop. Gallen will be expected to play 70 plus minutes.

Hayne gets my bench spot ahead of Gidley who I rate as highly as rain on your wedding day (thanks Alanis). Hayne as Burgey said above covers so many positions and I get the feeling that he will respond well to the fact that he's on the field as an impact player for short bursts where his brilliance could just be the difference.

The players who are unlucky to miss out include: GStewart, Hoffman, Hinchcliffe and as a smokey Aaron Woods. Tony Williams needs a club game or two before he can play.

Burgey

Don't mind the side, but I'd brush Bird and actually have Mateo on the bench somewhere. Got to score points to beat Qld imo.

I gather Beau Scott got pretty badly hurt yesterday by the looks of things.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah Scott's injury looked nasty, I haven't heard yet how long he'll be out for though.

I've not been that impressed with Mateo recently. At the start of the year I wanted him there or close to the team but I think he doesn't really suit the rest of the side I've picked.

I almost didn't include Watmough for similar reasons. His hands aren't the best and he still gives away some silly penalties. His upside is big though and since he made the Australian team, you would think he's almost a certainty to make the NSW team. Watmough may need to play some minutes in the front row if things don't go right for my team and I don't think the likes of Mateo, GStewart, Creagh, Hoffman are as capable of doing that.

Bird is always strong for NSW, I think he's a certainty somewhere in the 17.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. J Morris
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Buderus
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Scott
13. Lewis

14. Gidley
15. TLL
16. Watmough
17. Mannah

Hooker is the really tough position imo. I've only seen a couple of Knights games, and Buderus has been pretty good. It feels like going backward though, and Farah was very good in CC. However if we're going to play Buderus at 9 we need a bench player that can cover hooker imo. Hayne can't do that, and he can provide the same cover for the backline on the wing (with Stewart moving to wing and Gidley to FB). I know Gidley's yougottabekiddingly, but he's actually a pretty solid hooker, covers all positions etc etc. Not to mention you just KNOW he's going to be there anyway.

Agree that B Morris has been good at FB this year, but I rate Stewart much higher than both him and Mini. Hayne's versatility shafts him somewhat, but he's still a very good winger and we're light for the second wing spot. McManus and Morris are our next best options ffs. Don't really rate J Morris that highly but he's our form center, not sure what happened to Lawrence this year but he hasn't been much chop when I've seen him.

Forward pack picks itself for the most part. Williams will have been out for most of the year, so I'd want to see him have some game time before being selected. Scott might not be everyone's choice but I think NSW need a solid defensive backrower in the team somewhere. TLL is gun, Watmough is experienced (needs to learn how to play the ball though) Mannah's got a great work ethic and attitude, deserves the final prop spot.

EDIT: Forgot Scott got injured. Williams or Sims for the final backrow spot I guess.

Last edited:

Burgey

I thought Manna at the start of the season too, but he's been close to pathetic for Parra this year. He's caught the Poore malaise of running slowly and not fighting for metres at all.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
He's always stepped up at Origin level though. Hardly spoiled for choice with Merrin (meh), Weyman (who has been pretty awesome the last few weeks admittedly), Woods (good but inexperienced) and Snowden (also out of form) the other contenders. 4th prop usually doesn't see a huge amount of game time anyway.

howardj

International Coach
1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. J Morris
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Buderus
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Scott
13. Lewis

14. Gidley
15. TLL
16. Watmough
17. Mannah

Top stuff - plenty of points in that bunch.

Hayne, Carney, Lewis, Gidley just have to be in there somewhere.

Get them in the squad and then worry about positions during camp.

Burgey

Sims for Watmough not a bad shout, but I do expect the human penalty count to be in there.

uvelocity

International Coach
can't stand Gidley. Wouldn't have Buderis.

Lawrence has been quiet. Think he has been playing on the opposite side a lot, putting Reddy next to Tuquiri, not that it should matter much.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Sandow to Wenty? :wacko:

He hasn't been that bad has he? You'd think this is a must win game for the Eels so you'd want your best players on the park at all costs. Very strange.

Spikey

guys why do you name your teams on Tuesday. it seems so stupid (what with one game always being played on the day before...)

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
guys why do you name your teams on Tuesday. it seems so stupid (what with one game always being played on the day before...)
I thought it was for the printing of media (Wednesday papers, RLW etc) but I might be wrong about that. The teams that played on Monday are usually release team guidelines than anything.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Titans are dodgy. If they were the over cap last year, they surely must be this year too considering they've recruited some high profile players (Myles, Idris, Douglas and I'll throw in Champion too). Who has left? I can only think of Brad Meyers and Esi Tonga. Mat Rogers wasn't on a proper salary was he..

Dodge.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Titans are dodgy. If they were the over cap last year, they surely must be this year too considering they've recruited some high profile players (Myles, Idris, Douglas and I'll throw in Champion too). Who has left? I can only think of Brad Meyers and Esi Tonga. Mat Rogers wasn't on a proper salary was he..

Dodge.
Preston, Capewell and Tagatese are the only others that spring to mind.