• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looks like sticky has his halves combination sorted. Paves the way for the golden child Dugan to waltz back into the side.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...nsland-in-origin/story-e6frexnr-1226326597840

Wasn't Stuart waxing lyrical about having to play players in their natural positions last year?
i don't even watch nrl that much anymore but even i know it's a no-brainer to play Carney at 5/8, Hayne on one wing (or at full back), Uate on the other and never ever pick morris again.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wasn't Stuart waxing lyrical about having to play players in their natural positions last year?
Rings a bell, tbh. Wasn't it his rationale for leaving Hayne out of the first game last year?

Also, the Anzac test & County/City getting their own weekend is new, isn't it? IIRC they were usually played on the Friday of a normal weekend's fixtures.

uvelocity

International Coach
both morrissesss have been going well. Hayne wouldn't be picked for me. Sill recon Soward has the best general play kicking game in the league, and would have Wallace at 7 not that useless traitor **** of a junior pearce.

Spikey

both morrissesss have been going well. Hayne wouldn't be picked for me. Sill recon Soward has the best general play kicking game in the league, and would have Wallace at 7 not that useless traitor **** of a junior pearce.
nah **** learn from mistakes ffs. Hayne has pretty much never let NSW down. Morris has.

Then again if the other 12 NSW players on the field are firing than Morris is a swell player to have.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah the 6 has to be Carney. If we're going to go with a guy like Pearce at 7 (solid but unspectacular) we need someone with a bit of spark at 5/8 and Sowards not that sort of player. Actually think Wallace would be the next best option for the 7 but he was never going to get a CC spot ahead of Pearce (he's a city boy). Wouldn't have minded seeing Wallace given a go at 6 ahead of Hayne, he played there for Penrith and he's in gun form, but I don't think he would be the kind of 6 NSW needs either.

As for Morris if Hayne plays FB I'm not sure if we have any better options for the second wing spot. Gordon is injured, even if you rate Merrit he's been injured all year, Ferguson is rocks/diamonds, McManus and Williams are good club level players but not quite Origin material, Turner is just lol. It becomes a bit easier if Dugan or Stewart plays FB and Hayne goes to the wing. Get the feeling Hayne may have played himself out of a blue jersey though.

uvelocity

International Coach
If we're going to go with a guy like Pearce at 7 (solid but unspectacular)
I agree with all of that, but what I'm saying is I wouldn't have Pearce at 7. Wallace & Soward would be my combo. Carney at 6 I could live with, but I just think Soward's positional kicking is second to none, and his defence is up to it. Wallace is leading around the donkeys like I thought wouldn't be able to.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with all of that, but what I'm saying is I wouldn't have Pearce at 7. Wallace & Soward would be my combo. Carney at 6 I could live with, but I just think Soward's positional kicking is second to none, and his defence is up to it. Wallace is leading around the donkeys like I thought wouldn't be able to.
Wallace isn't a vastly different type of player to Pearce though. Both are great organisers and defenders, Wallace probably has a bit better kicking game while Pearce has a bit better running game and is probably a bit stronger mentally (though I have no idea what I base that off). Wallace has probably been in better form this year (I agree, I thought he'd struggle without Lockyer but years of watching the man appear to have rubbed off on him) but he's playing in a vastly superior team too. Either way I'd prefer Carney paired with them.

Burgey

Wallace is a solid club footballer and nothing more. Not up to rep stuff.

Leave Hayne out if you want. As a Parramatta fan I'd be quite happy. I'm pretty sure most Queensland fans would be too. FMD the bloke has been NSW best player when he's been stuck on the wing ffs. How hard is it to work out you pick the blokes you know can perform at that level, and always do? It's why blokes like Dallas Johnson and Ashley Harrison get picked for Qld no matter how their club sides are going. Because Qld are smart enough to know they'll do the job.

Morris in the side ahead of Hayne? Qld laughing all the way to seven in a row.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Wings: Hayne, Uate
Halves: Carney, Pearce
FB: Dugan/Stewart
Centres: Morris, Jennings

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Wallace is a solid club footballer and nothing more. Not up to rep stuff.

Leave Hayne out if you want. As a Parramatta fan I'd be quite happy. I'm pretty sure most Queensland fans would be too. FMD the bloke has been NSW best player when he's been stuck on the wing ffs. How hard is it to work out you pick the blokes you know can perform at that level, and always do? It's why blokes like Dallas Johnson and Ashley Harrison get picked for Qld no matter how their club sides are going. Because Qld are smart enough to know they'll do the job.

Morris in the side ahead of Hayne? Qld laughing all the way to seven in a row.
I didn't say I'd leave him out tbh. I just get the feeling it will happen. Playing him at 6 was just absurd, and Sticky has already said that's where he sees him playing, so if Carney is the better 6 (and he is)...

It'll come down to whether he's fit for me. If he's anywhere remotely near his best he'll be light years ahead of Morris even if they do pick Dugan or Stewart at FB. I've only watched a couple of his games this year though and he hasn't looked 100%.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The Melbourne game promised a similar finish but then along came Krisnan Inu. Bet you don't miss him Burgey.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The Melbourne game promised a similar finish but then along came Krisnan Inu. Bet you don't miss him Burgey.
Haha I bet he'd still take him ahead of Ryan Morgan or Esi Tonga. There's being mercurial and unreliable, and then there's just being a **** ****.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha I bet he'd still take him ahead of Ryan Morgan or Esi Tonga. There's being mercurial and unreliable, and then there's just being a **** ****.
I guess so. I don't really rate Inu that highly even on his good days. I think they're made to look better because his bad days are earth shatteringly terrible.

Yes I tipped the Warriors yesterday, and yes I MAD!!

Burgey

This.

Morgan looks like a plodding second rower placed out of position, much like Paulo was last year when we ran out of centres.

Esi just looks like an addendum to Willie's contract. And I think he rather is. He flat out cost us the game against Cronulla last week, without a shadow of a doubt.

It's hard to believe a club which has historically produced so many good/ great backs has got itself in a psotion where the absence for two years through injury of a 20-21 year old rookie centre in Loko has basically cruelled one whole side of the field for us.

Expect the Tigers to run everything at that side this weekend, and rack up 50.

We'll score 60 though :ph34r: