• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite Football Player

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Was somewhat surprised after running a search that there doesn't seem to be a thread on this topic, so thought I'd throw the question out there.

But, if you had to choose one (just one) player to nominate as being your favourite of all time, who would it be?

Bit of a tough call for me, am a bit spoilt for choice considering I grew up watching an Arsenal Team, made up by a group of players who many can now be considered all-time club greats. Despite Thierry Henry pushing hard for top spot, I think my favourite is without question Robert Pires. There was something about him that I always really liked, and I'd say between 2002-2004 there was probably no better player in his position in the entire world. Him being substituted off in the Champions League final is probably one of my worst sporting memories, even worse than losing the match itself.

Anyway...the floor is open....

Edit: Will always love him for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Vmxpy0Kmk

:laugh:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was somewhat surprised after running a search that there doesn't seem to be a thread on this topic, so thought I'd throw the question out there.

But, if you had to choose one (just one) player to nominate as being your favourite of all time, who would it be?

Bit of a tough call for me, am a bit spoilt for choice considering I grew up watching an Arsenal Team, made up by a group of players who many can now be considered all-time club greats. Despite Thierry Henry pushing hard for top spot, I think my favourite is without question Robert Pires. There was something about him that I always really liked, and I'd say between 2002-2004 there was probably no better player in his position in the entire world. Him being substituted off in the Champions League final is probably one of my worst sporting memories, even worse than losing the match itself.

Anyway...the floor is open....

Edit: Will always love him for this

spurs fans vs pires - YouTube

:laugh:
Thought that was going to be him making a donkey face at a defender who'd been reduced to bringing him down. Who was that btw? Something tells me it was Gary Neville but I can't remember. Loved him at Arsenal, apart from his ****ty beard.

My favourite is tied between Ally McCoist and Brian Laudrup. I honestly can't seperate them, Laudrup is the best player I've seen in a Rangers shirt but McCoist was my very first childhood hero and who I first pretended to be in the school playground. It's a shame they never shared a peak, as Laudrup only arrived when McCoist was in his twighlight years and fading thanks to injuries.

Non-Rangers player it's probably between Roberto Baggio, Ronaldo and Juan Roman Riquelme.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tony Kelly, being a lower league supporter he is the best player I have seen in a Shrewsbury shirt. As for top level stuff I loved watching Fabregas at Arsenal and Henry.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As a Liverpool fan, I loved Ian Rush and of non-Liverpool players I pretended to be Paul Walsh and Mark Hateley the most (I had the hair) but the answer to the question has to be Kenny Dalglish for me. Outside of Liverpool players, my favourite is probably Matt Le Tissier.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Thought that was going to be him making a donkey face at a defender who'd been reduced to bringing him down. Who was that btw? Something tells me it was Gary Neville but I can't remember. Loved him at Arsenal, apart from his ****ty beard.
I can't remember actually, can remember him making the face, but nothing else.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I can't remember actually, can remember him making the face, but nothing else.
Something is telling me Leicester now.

I can't see anything else except Pires when I picture it though. A YouTube search for 'Robert Pires donkey face' threw up nothing.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The World's Angriest Man:

With Jaap Stam looking like his pet orc.

Or as Surreal Football described him:

A great and terrible dark force, a clockwork bundle of rage, despair, anger and dread, taking out every minor pain ever suffered and the anticipation of injustices to come on his opponents. It was human anger so condensed and focus as to become robotic – the point where, like a youth throwing bricks at a train, all ideas of fear and mercy evaporated to leave a pure, condensed release of righteous indignation. A machine with no off-switch, which could only ever be pointed forwards – unleashed rather than controlled, that would never stop in any eventuality other than the death of its opponents or itself.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Kellow.

Some interesting parallels with Socrates actually....
Possible the only time Tony Kellow has been compared to Socrates :laugh:
Fondly remembered for that FA Cup run in 1981 though.

For me - Moore, Cruyff, Platini and Van Basten

More locally, Don Rogers in 1972, Peter Taylor in 1976, Kenny Sansom from 1977-1980 and Ian Wright.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Have never really had a massive favourite - never had a shirt with a name on the back.

As a kid, I loved Shearer and Sutton (which you can ascribe to youthful plasticity as much as you wish), and then as I grew up there were a few other players whom I admired by way of performance and attitude - Jaaskelainen and Mellberg. As a City fan, Stansfield obviously has his place - but I can't really think of any one player who I'd definitively give as a favourite.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Being a Liverpool fan, watching in this era of barren league titles; it is almost impossible to go past Gerrard. Watching him and hoping he'd pull off the impossible/improbable...and him doing it, has given me the greatest highs WRT sports.

cpr

International Coach

Not just for that night, but his career for us in total. Super-sub is an injustice to him. He just did what was required of him, and did it brilliantly.

Having said that, this is a particular highlight - truely taking one for the team, can see the standing ovation he got for it too :)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
One of the very few Man Utd players who I've ever really liked. He really was a good player, no doubt about it.