• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wales boss Gary Speed found dead

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just listening to radio now and you can hear how hard this has hit everyone in football, you always get tributes, and especially in such horrible circumstances but the ones I am hearing seem so genuine and heartfelt.

Awful for the players, managers and commentators involved today, Shay Given in tears during the minutes silence and Bellamy not in the squad for very understandable reasons.

Eds

International Debutant
Just listening to radio now and you can hear how hard this has hit everyone in football, you always get tributes, and especially in such horrible circumstances but the ones I am hearing seem so genuine and heartfelt.

Awful for the players, managers and commentators involved today, Shay Given in tears during the minutes silence and Bellamy not in the squad for very understandable reasons.
Yeah, seems to have been a genuinely nice guy that reached out to so many. Robbie Savage in tears on BBC News.

Jarquis

Still hasn't really registered with me.. Seemingly my brain just isn't accepting that this has actually happened. So, so, so out of the blue.
Just saw the Savage interview :(

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Gary McAllister's interview on SSN wasn't nice viewing. Almost started rambling.

edit: Bryn Law breaking down live on SSN is easily one of the most uncomfortable pieces of TV I've ever seen. Was horrible to watch.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Suicides are always very sad, but generally explicable on some level

Saw the footage of his appearance on the Beeb on Saturday today - what on earth happened?

The inquest may provide an answer I suppose

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Suicides are always very sad, but generally explicable on some level

Saw the footage of his appearance on the Beeb on Saturday today - what on earth happened?

The inquest may provide an answer I suppose
The human mind is a funny thing. It's ghastly to think, but his happy persona on Football Focus might just be because he knew what he'd be doing later on and was at peace with himself.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I also feel quite a bit for Robbie Savage, as Strictly Come Dancing is filmed on the Saturday for broadcast on the Sunday. So after breaking down on the BBC on Sunday when he was talking about Speed, the public are going to see him on a programme that looks like it's being broadcast live and Savage will be all smiley and normal, and will probably come across as a bit of a **** through no fault of his own.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's remarkable how universally liked he was given how polarising football can be- I'm not sure I can think of any footballer with fewer enemies than Speed had.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's remarkable how universally liked he was given how polarising football can be- I'm not sure I can think of any footballer with fewer enemies than Speed had.
Coming out and proclaiming that someone who's just died was a total **** generally isn't the done thing though :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Coming out and proclaiming that someone who's just died was a total **** generally isn't the done thing though :p
No, true. However in this case it's really the case; Speed was a genuinely good guy and a model professional. I think his death has hit everyone in football so hard because it was a bolt from the blue.

I was thinking about the contrast with that other recent (supposed) sporting suicide victim a couple of minutes ago. Whilst Roebuck's death was no less a tragedy, it wasn't quite the shock Speed's was. The former the distant academically minded confirmed bachelor under arrest for a distasteful crime, the latter the warm, grounded friendly family man who'd appeared perfectly at ease only hours earlier on national TV.

The "Why?" in Speed's case seems so very much harder to answer.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rumour doing the e-rounds that Gary was going to be outed as gay by The Sun.

Dunno what to say, tbh. If there's a grain of truth the mind boggles,

Pothas

Yeah heard this as well but really don't want to speculate.

Football got a bloody awful track record on the issue though thats for sure.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The mind boggles why? Because he *might* have been gay?

Do people honestly still care about that?
Because a) it's still considered newsworthy and b) that even a tabloid would still do such things in 2011.

I really don't think the general population give a ****, but if a family man was about to be outed I could see how it might be a contributing factor in what came next.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Because a) it's still considered newsworthy and b) that even a tabloid would still do such things in 2011.

I really don't think the general population give a ****, but if a family man was about to be outed I could see how it might be a contributing factor in what came next.
Is this really surprising?