• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Football Clubs Survey

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Leeds definitely winning the battle for the most hated club, with Man U close behind.

Out of interest, were Man U always unpopular or have they only been dreaded since the Premier League begun?

Surely the Busby Babes and the 1968 team cannot have been despicable?
They were enormously hated in the 1990s, so I'm assuming the hatred had to have stemmed from before that - I doubt hatred of that magnitude could just have been born the minute they started being successful.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Manchester United - 4 - yeah, everyone hates them, and while I'm no particular fan of them, I can't help but admire the way that Alex Ferguson has stayed consistently successful since I've been watching football. Plus, they've at least played entertaining football
Manchester City - 3 - used to quite like them in a cult sort of way when they has Rosler and Kinkladze. Can't quite bring myself to hate them in the way I hate Chelsea, but I'm no fan of the way they're going about topping the table.
Liverpool - 0 - delusional fans with a persecution/victim complex, stuck in the past, Jamie Carragher, that hideous club anthem - I get enough of that from the tramps who support Celtic thanks. The day they were knocked off their perch was a glorious one.
Newcastle - 1 - delusional mongo fans. Used to be quite cult until they signed that **** Shearer.
Arsenal - 5 - props to Wenger for not selling his soul, as frustrating as it can be sometimes.
Chelsea - 0 - **** small time club who struck it lucky with a dodgy Russian billionaire. Spawned the career of John Terry and played a huge role in Jose Mourinho disappearing up his own arse. Worst club.
Tottenham - 0 - **** club, **** players, worse manager.
Norwich - 1 - Tainted by that prick Chris Sutton. Paul Lambert impersonating Martin O'Neill on the touchline makes them easy to hate.
Aston Villa - 0 - Tainted by Martin O'Neill
Swansea - 3 - I think the nicest thing I could say about them is that they aren't Cardiff. Their 3 points are largely on the basis that I've given out enough 0s. And because the next team is...
Stoke - 0 - **** of a manager (tracksuit and baseball cap in public is never an acceptable look), don't play anything that even begins to resemble football. Wish they'd get relegated.
Queen's Park Rangers - 1 - used to be cult in the early 90s. Sadly their revival means that I have to put up with that **** Neil Warnock.
West Brom - 3 - Best club in the Birmingham area (which I believe is the dictionary definition of "damning with faint praise")
Sunderland - 3 - Ally McCoist played for them, so they're ok in my book.
Fulham - 3 - probably my favourite Premiership ground
Everton - 4 - plenty of Rangers connections as I've grown up, gave good old Drunken Disorderly a platform to show his genius, aren't Liverpool. What's not to like?
Wolves - 2 - a nothing club who I'll downgrade anyway because they employ that pillock Mick McCarthy.
Blackburn - 1 - saved from a 0 because their current plight is utterly hilarious.
Bolton - 0 - tainted by Fat Sam, lose points because they became media darlings for apparently playing great football under Owen Coyle despite their main tactic still being "lump it up to that prick Davies and feed on the second ball assuming the tit hasn't fouled the defender."
Wigan - 2 - a completely nothing club
Leeds United - 0 - **** off Leeds. Their continued plight out of the top flight amuses me.
Nottingham Forest - 3 - my only real memory of them is getting arse-blasted 5-1 by Bayern Munich in the 1995/96 UEFA Cup. Bonus points for taking Pierre van Hooijdonk from Celtic in the midst of our charge for 9 in a row.
Sheffield Wednesday - 3 - who gives a ****?
West Ham - 2 - would have been a 3 were it not for their Olympic Stadium carry on. Haven't yet been tainted by Allardyce for long enough to merit a 0.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Manchester United - 4 - yeah, everyone hates them, and while I'm no particular fan of them, I can't help but admire the way that Alex Ferguson has stayed consistently successful since I've been watching football. Plus, they've at least played entertaining football
Manchester City - 3 - used to quite like them in a cult sort of way when they has Rosler and Kinkladze. Can't quite bring myself to hate them in the way I hate Chelsea, but I'm no fan of the way they're going about topping the table.
Liverpool - 0 - delusional fans with a persecution/victim complex, stuck in the past, Jamie Carragher, that hideous club anthem - I get enough of that from the tramps who support Celtic thanks. The day they were knocked off their perch was a glorious one.
Newcastle - 1 - delusional mongo fans. Used to be quite cult until they signed that **** Shearer.
Arsenal - 5 - props to Wenger for not selling his soul, as frustrating as it can be sometimes.
Chelsea - 0 - **** small time club who struck it lucky with a dodgy Russian billionaire. Spawned the career of John Terry and played a huge role in Jose Mourinho disappearing up his own arse. Worst club.
Tottenham - 0 - **** club, **** players, worse manager.
Norwich - 1 - Tainted by that prick Chris Sutton. Paul Lambert impersonating Martin O'Neill on the touchline makes them easy to hate.
Aston Villa - 0 - Tainted by Martin O'Neill
Swansea - 3 - I think the nicest thing I could say about them is that they aren't Cardiff. Their 3 points are largely on the basis that I've given out enough 0s. And because the next team is...
Stoke - 0 - **** of a manager (tracksuit and baseball cap in public is never an acceptable look), don't play anything that even begins to resemble football. Wish they'd get relegated.
Queen's Park Rangers - 1 - used to be cult in the early 90s. Sadly their revival means that I have to put up with that **** Neil Warnock.
West Brom - 3 - Best club in the Birmingham area (which I believe is the dictionary definition of "damning with faint praise")
Sunderland - 3 - Ally McCoist played for them, so they're ok in my book.
Fulham - 3 - probably my favourite Premiership ground
Everton - 4 - plenty of Rangers connections as I've grown up, gave good old Drunken Disorderly a platform to show his genius, aren't Liverpool. What's not to like?
Wolves - 2 - a nothing club who I'll downgrade anyway because they employ that pillock Mick McCarthy.
Blackburn - 1 - saved from a 0 because their current plight is utterly hilarious.
Bolton - 0 - tainted by Fat Sam, lose points because they became media darlings for apparently playing great football under Owen Coyle despite their main tactic still being "lump it up to that prick Davies and feed on the second ball assuming the tit hasn't fouled the defender."
Wigan - 2 - a completely nothing club
Leeds United - 0 - **** off Leeds. Their continued plight out of the top flight amuses me.
Nottingham Forest - 3 - my only real memory of them is getting arse-blasted 5-1 by Bayern Munich in the 1995/96 UEFA Cup. Bonus points for taking Pierre van Hooijdonk from Celtic in the midst of our charge for 9 in a row.
Sheffield Wednesday - 3 - who gives a ****?
West Ham - 2 - would have been a 3 were it not for their Olympic Stadium carry on. Haven't yet been tainted by Allardyce for long enough to merit a 0.
Pfft, why did you come up with that bumph for manure, when it could have just said, "Fergie played for Rangers", or the Pool stuff which could have said " I hate Dalglish because he was twice the player of any Rangers bloke":)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pfft, why did you come up with that bumph for manure, when it could have just said, "Fergie played for Rangers", or the Pool stuff which could have said " I hate Dalglish because he was twice the player of any Rangers bloke":)
Ferguson was an absolute **** when he was the manager of Aberdeen, and I'm too young for Dalglish to have influenced the way I feel about Liverpool.

:p

Tom Halsey

International Coach
They were enormously hated in the 1990s, so I'm assuming the hatred had to have stemmed from before that - I doubt hatred of that magnitude could just have been born the minute they started being successful.
Wasn't around at the time, but several things I've read give the impression it started with the appointment of Ferguson.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wasn't around at the time, but several things I've read give the impression it started with the appointment of Ferguson.
But Ferguson won **** all for 5 years after he was appointed.

The natural club for everyone to hate because of their previous success when I was old enough to be getting into football would have been Liverpool...yet I can't ever remember them being as hated as Man U.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've been told those were the days when English clubs were generally supported in Europe and the more common hate-outlet for the clinically angry was probably just black people.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
TBF anyone who's old enough to remember the Pre-Ferguson days knows ManUre have always been hated by pretty much every English football fan who doesn't actively support them.
Why though?

First season I can remember was 1991/92 - so I'm young enough to have never seen Liverpool win the league and young enough to not really remember a period in English football where Man United weren't top dogs. If it was majorly down to envy then Liverpool would have been the team to hate for the early part of the 90s.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Why though?

First season I can remember was 1991/92 - so I'm young enough to have never seen Liverpool win the league and young enough to not really remember a period in English football where Man United weren't top dogs. If it was majorly down to envy then Liverpool would have been the team to hate for the early part of the 90s.
The (then misplaced) arrogance they were somehow "the nation's team", the overarching sense of entitlement, the hoards of irritating ****ney reds, Captain Poof...

Pretty much the same reasons without Ferguson or the success.

Liverpool weren't exactly loved by those of us who grew up in the 80s, but they never approached the hatred United engender.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF anyone who's old enough to remember the Pre-Ferguson days knows ManUre have always been hated by pretty much every English football fan who doesn't actively support them.
TBF anyone who knows more than one person who's old enough to remember the Pre-Ferguson days knows how hotly disputed the subject can be when some poor fool makes the schoolboy error of bringing it up in the pub.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF anyone who knows more than one person who's old enough to remember the Pre-Ferguson days knows how hotly disputed the subject can be when some poor fool makes the schoolboy error of bringing it up in the pub.
Nah, sorry. Don't believe it. The majority of my circle of aquaintances are 30+ and I've never heard anyone who's not a ManU fan suggest anything other than they've always been universally despised.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
TBF i can only say my hatred stems from the 90 semi replay and the goal that never was. Having a citeh supporting father a possible influence, although my brother grew up to be a scum supporting **** so it can't have been that much

cpr

International Coach
hangover from te busby era I believe. So universally successful, then the arrogance of hte 70s when we still expected to be the best even though we were ****. Typical Utd arrogance :)

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Manchester United - 0
Manchester City - 2
Liverpool - 4
Newcastle - 3
Arsenal - 1
Chelsea - 1
Tottenham - 2
Norwich - 4
Aston Villa - 2
Swansea - 3
Stoke - 3
Queen's Park Rangers - 3
West Brom - 3
Sunderland - 2
Fulham - 4
Everton - 3
Wolves - 2
Blackburn - 5
Bolton - 2
Wigan - 2
Leeds United - 2
Nottingham Forest - 4
Sheffield Wednesday - 4
West Ham - 1

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Nah, sorry. Don't believe it. The majority of my circle of aquaintances are 30+ and I've never heard anyone who's not a ManU fan suggest anything other than they've always been universally despised.
Doesn't really mean much, unless by 30+ you mean a long way over 30 in some cases. Someone who is currently 30 will have been 5 when Ferguson was appointed and 11/12 when we won our first Premiership.