• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Creating a Rankings System - Help Needed

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Twice a year I run a Fifa Tournament with mates. Sometimes we have a league, and other times a group stage with knockout. The numbers also vary, from around 6 to 16.

I've been trying to come up with a good rankings system, but have been struggling. I'd prefer it to be weighted towards those who have had the most recent success, but obviously with a respect for results gained previously.

Also some people only participate in some tournaments.

I would really appreciate some suggestions on how to proceed with this.

Thanks!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just pretend you have a fancy formula that does everything, while in reality you give players a rating out of 100 manually. Works well for the CWPL :ph34r:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
You have misunderstood sir.

A rankings system based on the success of a team at a tournament (or tournaments) is what I'm after.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Do you want the rankings to be of the players or the teams, or do the players always use the same teams?

Athlai

Not Terrible
The simplest way to do it is assign points ranking the players on past finishes.

But if you want a real accurate one you'd need it so every win and loss altered their overall ranking, like the ICC rankings. Not sure how to get my head around doing this considering the amount of players changes.

Cribb to do it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nnanden, when you do 'league' format, is your competition winner decided by wins/losses, or is there actually a finals/play-offs scenario?

Obviously when you do knock-out its finals, but if you have 'finals' every year then it will be easier to do a ranking.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Here's one suggestion (based on ATP)

Base points:

1 200
2 120
3 80
4 56
5 44
6 36
7 32
8 28
9 24
10 20
11 16
12 12
13 8
14 6
15 4
16 2

In knockouts you'll have to average the places (so that 3-4 = SF would be 68 points for example)

There is a sliding scale over 10 tournament, so that the most recent one is worth 100 %, the second recent one 90 % (i.e. winning it is 180) etc. down to 10 % for the 10th.

The top 6 of these values are summed to give a ranking.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Nnanden, when you do 'league' format, is your competition winner decided by wins/losses, or is there actually a finals/play-offs scenario?

Obviously when you do knock-out its finals, but if you have 'finals' every year then it will be easier to do a ranking.
Just wins/losses, no play offs.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Here's one suggestion (based on ATP)

Base points:

1 200
2 120
3 80
4 56
5 44
6 36
7 32
8 28
9 24
10 20
11 16
12 12
13 8
14 6
15 4
16 2

In knockouts you'll have to average the places (so that 3-4 = SF would be 68 points for example)

There is a sliding scale over 10 tournament, so that the most recent one is worth 100 %, the second recent one 90 % (i.e. winning it is 180) etc. down to 10 % for the 10th.

The top 6 of these values are summed to give a ranking.
Cheers Sammie.