• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2011 National Provincial Championship (ITM Cup)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Guess you could say the same for Stephen Donald from Chiefs/Waikato to international level...

Even with a weakened squad to pick from (no Fotuali'i, Guildford, Dagg, Perenise, etc.) they should've had enough to win - with due respect to Manawatu, they're by far the weakest team in the competition (even with Cruden). I guess it didn't help that in the build-up to one of Manawatu's tries, the player who threw the pass was already in touch; I realise they won by more than seven points but that would've changed the outlook of the game had that been called back.
Linesman is forgiven for missing that in real time.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: Surprised you went with Tasman to beat Northland since I felt Northland were a much better side (half of the Blues backline for starters), but the rest were pretty close calls IMO. I also imagine you tipped before most of the sides were announced; I waited until the last minute before going with Waikato and Wellington since I knew they'd have a few extra ABs for the round.
I have had a tough time on the Internet finding a place where the teams are announced for each game - last year it was like counties would win or not based on Tana's presence.

Is there a good site you can suggest - not to give away your secret sources however...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Some random points

1) I like how Cruden and many other players in the ITM cup are loyal to their province even though they could go to a stronger province.
Try telling that to Kade Poki. :laugh: But I agree that its good to see the Crudens, Rangers, Guildfords, etc. stay with their provinces.
2) Secondly the kicking game really intrigues me from within your own 22. Surely either boot the ball out or give the biggest possibly hoof you can down field. I don't agree with up and unders and box kicks from within your own 22. IT just gives the other team great attacking position. Either the modern rugby players know something that I don't know - or coaching is poor.
I assume you're talking about when the players are permitted to kick the ball out, i.e. the ball wasn't carried back. Its hard to disagree with that, unless you've got a Morne Steyn-style kicker on your team who can up and under and give your chasers an opportunity every time to recollect; landing it too far but still in play is rather pointless, I agree. Maybe I can pass that on to Steven Donald...
3) Play at the breakdown today in the manawatu HB game was not impressive no McCaw''s on display in the game.
I only saw the second half so basing my comment on that but I actually thought HB's openside flanker Karl Lowe was ok - he was a bit rusty but when on form an excellent openside.
Linesman is forgiven for missing that in real time.
Yup not the easiest call, was more pointing out that it was crucial in the context of the match than bagging the assistant referee.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I have had a tough time on the Internet finding a place where the teams are announced for each game - last year it was like counties would win or not based on Tana's presence.

Is there a good site you can suggest - not to give away your secret sources however...
The official site (New Zealand All Blacks rugby team official website, New Zealand Rugby Football Union) has most of the teams up a few days before the matches although it was a bit slack for the opening round, so I relied more on articles that I'd read like Weepu and Jane were to appear, and took note of which Samoan players were missing, etc. From memory about half the 23s were named before the first game on Thursday and the rest of the squads I took a guess at the likely starting XVs.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, and BoP tried their best to lose that. Great display from the mercurial Taniela Moa off the bench. Surprised the BoP #4 didn't get binned too. Unbelievable to have already had a warning then get pinged for off the ball rucking and not getting binned.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Matches on Tuesday and Wednesday so I hope you don't mind me putting up those fixtures Heath?

North Harbour vs Tasman
Hawke's Bay vs Southland
Counties Manukau vs Manawatu
Auckland vs Otago

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
North Harbour
Hawke's Bay
Counties Manukau
Auckland

Decided to head along to the game at Harbour this evening.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Unsurprisingly Harbour and HB win, since Heath picked Tasman and Southland. :laugh:

Thought Tasman contained Harbour really well in the first half last night, before being completely outplayed in the second. Decent game to watch, and for a Tuesday night there was a very reasonable crowd.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Otago haters can shove their ****ing hate up their arses. First win at Eden Park in 35 years. How do you like them apples?