• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2011 National Provincial Championship (ITM Cup)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yikes, were the Magpies that bad last year :(
Nah. They underperformed for sure, but them and Northland lost some games by really quite narrow margins and as I recall Hawke's Bay even drew 2 matches. Either them or Northland (or even Counties; who were typically erratic) could have scraped into the Top 7.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah. They underperformed for sure, but them and Northland lost some games by really quite narrow margins and as I recall Hawke's Bay even drew 2 matches. Either them or Northland (or even Counties; who were typically erratic) could have scraped into the Top 7.
They actually drew three matches, all to teams that made the semi finals, so were very unlucky not to finish in the top seven; only missing out by a point. I think they're a good chance of promotion to the championship for next year, providing they don't get too badly affected by RWC call-ups to a number of key Samoan and Tongan players in their squad.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
A bit of a stab in the dark at this time of the season. Could easily have gone the other way on most of 'em.
I think this season will be particularly difficult to tip; not only are most sides going to be without ABs for the whole season, but Island players are going to leave further gaps. Midweek matches will mean that squad depth is going to be the key, not just a good XV. Plus the Super Rugby season's only just finished so those involved in the later stages of that competition will surely need some rest.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Given they have inter-league, should have allowed the winner of Division Two to join the 3 top Division One sides in the play-offs. :ph34r:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Given they have inter-league, should have allowed the winner of Division Two to join the 3 top Division One sides in the play-offs. :ph34r:
This season's a little different, and there aren't actually any "playoffs" as such (i.e. Super Rugby style), just a final for the championship and premiership following the round robin matches.

HeathDavisSpeed

Last warning for any tipsters or anyone wanting join the Superbru league.

Also, is anyone here user 'brighton75' on Superbru? I don't recognise the name or the username and he looks like a bit of a picking guru, so I don't want to add him unless he's a Cricsim/Cricketweb member.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Otago looked very good besides a five minute patch in the second half in which Harbour scored a brace of tries, great start to the season for them particularly after their woeful effort in 2010. Joubert was excellent, certainly an able replacement for Soakai. As for Harbour, they'll need to sort their defence out quickly to avoid a repeat of last year's embarrassing defensive record.

HeathDavisSpeed

Great to see Joubert doing well after that nasty shoulder injury last season and apparently becoming addicted to painkillers as a result. Put in a great show.

Didn't think much of the Harbour full-back.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Auckland v Canterbury

Changing to Auckland
Good choice IMO, I'm tipping Auckland to win the title this year.

Another entertaining match tonight in Invercargill, although following a very different script from the ten try encounter in Dunedin last night - yellow cards outnumbering tries by four to one.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
An upset earlier today with Hawkes Bay less a few of their Samoan players losing to Manawatu. Missed the first half but by all accounts and my viewing in the second half Hika Elliot played particularly well. Good wins for Northland with Ranger featuring prominently, and Wellington (but Cory Jane with a dislocation).

HeathDavisSpeed

Wow. 0/5 for my tipping so far. Next year, I won't research the squads at all, read any articles about the NPC or anything. I would have done better just guessing.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow. 0/5 for my tipping so far. Next year, I won't research the squads at all, read any articles about the NPC or anything. I would have done better just guessing.
:laugh: Surprised you went with Tasman to beat Northland since I felt Northland were a much better side (half of the Blues backline for starters), but the rest were pretty close calls IMO. I also imagine you tipped before most of the sides were announced; I waited until the last minute before going with Waikato and Wellington since I knew they'd have a few extra ABs for the round.

HeathDavisSpeed

:laugh: Surprised you went with Tasman to beat Northland since I felt Northland were a much better side (half of the Blues backline for starters), but the rest were pretty close calls IMO. I also imagine you tipped before most of the sides were announced; I waited until the last minute before going with Waikato and Wellington since I knew they'd have a few extra ABs for the round.
I thought Northland would lack a lot of power up front. They lost a number of key forwards, and their pack was pretty **** last season. Plus, no David Holwell...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Why does Cruden dominate for the Turbos but play with less conviction for the Hurricanes.

Glad the chiefs are getting him anyway

Yes Hika Elliot in the 2nd half looked the business. At one point he made a charging run reminiscent of Buck Shelford of yore.

HeathDavisSpeed

Elliot and Taumololo are a great pairing at this level. Can't understand how Hawke's Bay couldn't come away with the win. Tamasi Cama jr (sic.) looked dangerous, as did Cruden, but Hawke's Bay should have come away with more IMO.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Why does Cruden dominate for the Turbos but play with less conviction for the Hurricanes.
Guess you could say the same for Stephen Donald from Chiefs/Waikato to international level...
Elliot and Taumololo are a great pairing at this level. Can't understand how Hawke's Bay couldn't come away with the win. Tamasi Cama jr (sic.) looked dangerous, as did Cruden, but Hawke's Bay should have come away with more IMO.
Even with a weakened squad to pick from (no Fotuali'i, Guildford, Dagg, Perenise, etc.) they should've had enough to win - with due respect to Manawatu, they're by far the weakest team in the competition (even with Cruden). I guess it didn't help that in the build-up to one of Manawatu's tries, the player who threw the pass was already in touch; I realise they won by more than seven points but that would've changed the outlook of the game had that been called back.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Some random points

1) I like how Cruden and many other players in the ITM cup are loyal to their province even though they could go to a stronger province.

2) Secondly the kicking game really intrigues me from within your own 22. Surely either boot the ball out or give the biggest possibly hoof you can down field. I don't agree with up and unders and box kicks from within your own 22. IT just gives the other team great attacking position. Either the modern rugby players know something that I don't know - or coaching is poor.

3) Play at the breakdown today in the manawatu HB game was not impressive no McCaw''s on display in the game.