• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tour de France 2011 Thread

Stapel

International Regular
I keep reading talk that Cavendish is headed for Sky next year.

Why on earth would he want to leave HTC when a team rides like that for him?
He won't leave HTC. No chance.
I haven't heared these rumours, but.......

On a critical note, the two stages where Cav just missed it, he was simply not dropped off near the finish line as he should have been. The fact he got to 2nd and 5th places in those sprints, is because he is so ridiculously good!

Tuesday, the HTC-train was seriously derailed by the Omega Pharam - Lotto team. Cavendish was not, as yesterday, put to front by Mark Renshaw, at 200 metres from the line.
During the 3rd stage, the HTC team simply failed to do anyhting right, though team Garmin deserves some credit for their work.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The Schleck-attack tactic works, somewhat.

Was always Fränk that was going to be let off, though. Interesting developments and an exciting stage, but the GC will probably be decided by how much was lost in the falls.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Frank and Evans both looking very strong, really hope Evans can go for the overall win; I love the bloke. Doesn't look like a cyclist at all, but manages to be up there all the time.

So proud of Thomas though, magnificent ride and leading the tour over the Tourmalet is a great effort. Hopefully a GC contender for the future.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Lol, I knew you were probably right, but cbf'd arguing so I posted the generic response to an anti British Hakon cycling post.

I can hope though :(

biased indian

International Coach
Have couple of question
one regarding the money in cycling..are the winners of Tdf paid well or is all the money coming from the team that the cyclist is in...

and how far the schleck brothers need to stretch their lead ..if i am correct evans and contodor are better at TT than both the brothers rt ?

weeman27bob

International Regular
Have couple of question
one regarding the money in cycling..are the winners of Tdf paid well or is all the money coming from the team that the cyclist is in...

and how far the schleck brothers need to stretch their lead ..if i am correct evans and contodor are better at TT than both the brothers rt ?
The prize money is € 450,000 for the outright winner.

I'm probably not the best to answer the other question, but I'll give it a shot. In order, Contador, then Evans, then Andy and then Frank are the best at TT. In last years TT of around similar length, Contador took 31 seconds off Andy who rode close to out of his skin. Frank was out of the race by this point, and looking at the results, Evans probably crashed.

So it's difficult to speculate, but anything over two minutes and the Schlecks should be fine.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Sounds accurate imo. Though Contador doesn't seem to be in top form and that will count against his TT, and Evans was a beast in the Team TT.

Traditionally, prize money is split equally between all team mates - stars earn their money through contracts and endorsements.

On an unrelated note, Frank was two minutes slower up LuzArdiden than Armstrong in '03

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Indurain wasn't exactly little, was he?

If Geraint can go from the Lanterne Rouge waste of space to actually-quite-good in three years, who knows?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
On an unrelated note, Frank was two minutes slower up LuzArdiden than Armstrong in '03
How did the rest of the stage differ tho? Did Lance have to go up the Tourmalet beforehand?

I always thought that Evans was quite a lot stronger than any of the other main GC contender in the TT.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
How did the rest of the stage differ tho? Did Lance have to go up the Tourmalet beforehand?

I always thought that Evans was quite a lot stronger than any of the other main GC contender in the TT.
Another day in the Hautes-Pyrenees. The 159.5 km stage had three big climbs, the category one Col d'Aspin at 94 km, the famous hors categorie Col du Tourmalet at 124 km and finally a hors categorie finish at Luz-Ardiden. These were the last hors categorie climbs on the 2003 Tour.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
How is Voeckler staying with Schleck? What's going to be in his piss? How sad is it that we have to think like that?