• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tour de France 2011 Thread

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
379. (373) 90(+24,-82) Gregory Thomas (New Zealand)
(376) 90(+25,-82) Jason Kucey (Canada)
(346) 90(+18,-82) William Swanson (UK/Scotland)
382. (391) 89(+28,-83) Mardie Frog (Germany)
383. (363) 88(+19,-84) Jessie Swanson (UK)
(383) 88(+25,-84) Lynn Chambers (Canada)
385. (376) 87(+22,-85) Hilary Sinclair (UK)
(417) 87(+37,-85) LJ Streed (Sweden)
(312) 87(+11,-85) Michael Gesner (USA)
388. (408) 85(+31,-87) Andrew Tombs (UK)
389. (394) 84(+24,-88) Sam Weaver (USA)
390. (369) 83(+15,-89) Eric S (USA/NYC)
(400) 83(+24,-89) Håkon Mørk (Norway)

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Have been watching since stage 3, but I don't know why.

I forgot how boring the pre-mountain stages were.

4-5 riders break away
Get caught with 10-20kms left.
Sprinter wins.

The stage that Evans won was interesting though.

I know, no one is forcing me to watch it. Just saying...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah, would guess that Boassan-Haagen will become the team leader.

I take it they dropped back to see if they needed to help Wiggo back to the Peloton?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Haha incredible stuff from HTC Columbia, it's like a ****ing TTT here, all 9 at the front. Great work.

Stapel

International Regular
Yeah, would guess that Boassan-Haagen will become the team leader.

I take it they dropped back to see if they needed to help Wiggo back to the Peloton?
That is a very good point!

Dutch commentators got slightly enthousiastic when they figured out that both Thomas and BH were in the 2nd peloton, as it meant that Robert Gesink would hold they White Jersey. But they never even tried tried to figure out if the two of them were simply behind the break in the peloton, or possibly were waiting for their #1.

However, it should be said that the usual tactic is to get on, and fall back later, if there is any need to. Also, Wiggans was alone during the moments of decision to get on the bike again. At one point he really tried to get on his bike again! Whereas any half-experienced cycling fan could tell you with the certainty of a professional medical doctor he had a broken shoulder bone (clavicle, I had to look that up.....).

Too bad, he looked very very good.

Anyway, The Tour waits for no one! Impressive job by the HTC team and a good finish by Cavendish

weeman27bob

International Regular
There's the potential for it to be a very interesting stage tomorrow, what with the hills towards the end. Expecting a relatively large shakeup in GC. Surley Hushovd can't pull this off?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Dutch commentators got slightly enthousiastic when they figured out that both Thomas and BH were in the 2nd peloton, as it meant that Robert Gesink would hold they White Jersey. But they never even tried tried to figure out if the two of them were simply behind the break in the peloton, or possibly were waiting for their #1.
This is why I watch sporza :p

(currently on vacation in a Drent village)

oh yeah, congrats to Cav etc. Would also like to thank Ben Swift for being completely useless.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
WTF Hakon it's his first tour and he's 23.

Smashing effort from Hushovd, great stuff to see a sprinter stick it to all of the GC riders and hold onto the yellow jersey. Should be interesting to see how long he can keep it up, has hardly looked troubled by the mountains so far.

Another great effort from Rui Costa, alway nice to see someone win a stage after leading it for 185km,

weeman27bob

International Regular
I reckon tomorrow must be the stage in which Hushovd can't stay in touch anymore. He must be shattered!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Interesting to see where Thomas/Boasson Hagen end up today, they could be fairly far back and who becomes the team leader.
They won't have a team leader going for the GC. I imagine a few will look at breakaway stages (like Flecha today - wouldn't surprise me at all to see him get one) and then work as a team for EBH in the sprints.