• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2011-12

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who would you play:

Kolo Toure: has played 3 games in a year and was absolutely torn to shreds by Bayern.
Stefan Savic: played at a good level for the last 12 months, young, and had an immense game against Villareal in mid-week.

Indeed.
Are they your only options? Blimey money doesn't go far nowadays, I could say Kolo, because playing in a blood-and-guts Prem match, is a vastly different thing, to playing in Europe, but it would seem wise-after-the-event.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Having 4 centre-backs good enough to play at a good level in the Premier League isn't too bad IMO. That said, if it were up to me a top class CB to partner with Kompany would be my next big purchase. But then again I'm not a manager and Lescott has been quite good this year so what do I know?

You could move Richards into the middle and play Zabaleta, but Micah hasn't played a game in the middle for quite some time and has become immense at right back. Savic will be a good player, composed and confident on the ball and has technique, just needs time to both grow as a player and build a repore with the other backs. I quite like his potential.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Having 4 centre-backs good enough to play at a good level in the Premier League isn't too bad IMO. That said, if it were up to me a top class CB to partner with Kompany would be my next big purchase. But then again I'm not a manager and Lescott has been quite good this year so what do I know?

You could move Richards into the middle and play Zabaleta, but Micah hasn't played a game in the middle for quite some time and has become immense at right back. Savic will be a good player, composed and confident on the ball and has technique, just needs time to both grow as a player and build a repore with the other backs. I quite like his potential.
Wouldn't buying a top class CB completely negate the point of signing Savic?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Would also make the signing of Lescott and Toure completely redundant as well. What's your point? Nowhere there did I say that if I was a manager I would have signed Savic in the first place. That said, I'm not one so who cares.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would also make the signing of Lescott and Toure completely redundant as well. What's your point? Nowhere there did I say that if I was a manager I would have signed Savic in the first place. That said, I'm not one so who cares.
Yeah but the point is that Savic needs time to develop and needs game time to help him develop. Lescott and Toure are dire, signing a top class centre half means Savic will just spend time rotting in the reserves instead of developing, which makes signing him a bit pointless.

IMO.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Of course, that's not what I was addressing in my post either really. Having players develop is fine and I don't really think we need someone (NOTE: example) such as Chiellini, but it certainly wouldn't make us a worse side. If Mancini decided to bring someone of that calibre in, but let one of Toure or Lescott out the door, then I don't think it would stunt Savic's growth as a player as he'd still be first choice replacement and with the amount of games we're going to be playing in the coming seasons, he will play plenty.

That all said, I don't see it as neccesary and feel Kompany-Savic could be a long-term pairing for us. I certainly don't see Mancini going after another CB with the way Lescott has stepped up this and last season. I was just passing comment that if I was passing judgement on where we could improve in the future, Kompany's partner is probably the weakest link in our side. Especially with the way Clichy has gone about proving me wrong so far this season.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I do have a question for you though. How close is this Rangers financial situation to exploding? I have heard snippets (Football Weekly podcast and other such outlets) but can't be arsed reading up on it.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
For all the Carroll complaints, I believe Suarez hasn't scored this season when he's not been on the pitch...
What does that mean though exactly? Carroll and Suarez have been on the pitch together almost all season. Surely it needs a much larger sample size to have any relevance.

He also takes a ridiculous number of shots.
Doesn't help him that there's never much on. Our football has been next to useless.

Suarez is enormously over-rated. Gonna stick my neck out and say that he won't score 15 goals this season.
9th highest goal scorer after 10 games is decent, especially when you consider how bad we've been playing, and how few goals we've scored as a team. He has double our next highest scorer. Definitely expect him to bag 20+, fitness permitting.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
There was a story of f365 a couple of weeks ago about how Suarez has the lowest goals to shots on target ratio of all the top strikers in the league, which isn't shocking.

All you need to do is watch the highlights of the Norwich game and see him hit 15 shots straight at the keeper to notice it. Quality player but his finishing leaves a lot to be desired, much like Tevez in his last season at United/first season at City.

Jarquis

Loving that the Gotze -> Arsenal rumours seem to be getting louder by the day. Won't believe it until I see it but hnnnnnng.

Only 3 points off top 4 and back to level pegging with Liverpool now after 4 wins on the bounce. Not a bad turn around after 8-2 and 3-4.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I do have a question for you though. How close is this Rangers financial situation to exploding? I have heard snippets (Football Weekly podcast and other such outlets) but can't be arsed reading up on it.
Bottom line, no-one really knows. With our failure to qualify for the Champions League, we've blown a £15m hole in our accounts which means we'll run at a loss this season. We have a tax tribunal coming up this month which could be problematic, as we've allegedly been using a tax avoidance scheme for 10 years to avoid paying income tax on player's salaries. The media up here is reporting it as being potentially £49m, but their source for this figure is our incompetent former CEO, so while our liability could be that high, I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Basically, if HMRC win their case against us and ask us for the full £49m, we're ****ed. However, we're currently engaged in a game of high stakes poker with the tax man - our owner Craig Whyte has very publically stated that in the event of something happpening that would threaten our solvency (ie HMRC turning up at our door and asking for £49m), he wouldn't hesitate to put us in administration. Now should that happen, because of the way the club was taken over, Whyte is the preferred creditor and would get back every penny he has invested so far, with every other creditor, including the tax man, fighting over the scraps that are left. So the message from Whyte seems to be "you've got no chance of getting your £49m." Whether that encourages HMRC to do a deal, who knows. To make it more fun, our lawyers reckon we stand a reasonable chance of winning our case, and there's also rumours that plenty of other clubs have done the same thing we have when it comes to tax avoidance and that HMRC just wants a judgement so they can pursue others who have done the same thing.

Basically, the scenarios seem to be as follows:

• HMRC wins their case against Rangers, and pursues the full amount. Rangers go into administration as a result.
  • HMRC wins their case, but settle with Rangers for an amount that is affordable for Rangers. Rangers do not go into administration.
  • The tribunal finds partially in favour of both sides, and there is a settlement that Rangers can afford
  • The tribunal finds Rangers have no case to answer.

Of course, nobody knows how the tribunal will go, which is affecting the club financially because while there's still the uncertainty sorrounding whether or not the club will go into administration, it's understandably not enocouraging people to make commercial deals with the club.

duffer

Loving that the Gotze -> Arsenal rumours seem to be getting louder by the day. Won't believe it until I see it but hnnnnnng.

Seriously, it isn't happening. Although a bigger miracle would be Robin and TV5 both coming back from internationals fit. Theo when he's starting to come into some form too.

grecian

Seriously, it isn't happening. Although a bigger miracle would be Robin and TV5 both coming back from internationals fit. Theo when he's starting to come into some form too.
Yeah, Arsenal's season to end, without playing a game. So predictable.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Bottom line, no-one really knows. With our failure to qualify for the Champions League, we've blown a £15m hole in our accounts which means we'll run at a loss this season. We have a tax tribunal coming up this month which could be problematic, as we've allegedly been using a tax avoidance scheme for 10 years to avoid paying income tax on player's salaries. The media up here is reporting it as being potentially £49m, but their source for this figure is our incompetent former CEO, so while our liability could be that high, I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Basically, if HMRC win their case against us and ask us for the full £49m, we're ****ed. However, we're currently engaged in a game of high stakes poker with the tax man - our owner Craig Whyte has very publically stated that in the event of something happpening that would threaten our solvency (ie HMRC turning up at our door and asking for £49m), he wouldn't hesitate to put us in administration. Now should that happen, because of the way the club was taken over, Whyte is the preferred creditor and would get back every penny he has invested so far, with every other creditor, including the tax man, fighting over the scraps that are left. So the message from Whyte seems to be "you've got no chance of getting your £49m." Whether that encourages HMRC to do a deal, who knows. To make it more fun, our lawyers reckon we stand a reasonable chance of winning our case, and there's also rumours that plenty of other clubs have done the same thing we have when it comes to tax avoidance and that HMRC just wants a judgement so they can pursue others who have done the same thing.

Basically, the scenarios seem to be as follows:

• HMRC wins their case against Rangers, and pursues the full amount. Rangers go into administration as a result.
  • HMRC wins their case, but settle with Rangers for an amount that is affordable for Rangers. Rangers do not go into administration.
  • The tribunal finds partially in favour of both sides, and there is a settlement that Rangers can afford
  • The tribunal finds Rangers have no case to answer.

Of course, nobody knows how the tribunal will go, which is affecting the club financially because while there's still the uncertainty sorrounding whether or not the club will go into administration, it's understandably not enocouraging people to make commercial deals with the club.
Hmm. I guess it's not as dire as I'd heard as there seems to be no scenario where the tax will actually be paid in full, encouraging a deal. Thanks for the explanation. Even if you do go into admin you'll still be top, yeah? That's fairly impressive.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Andy Carroll should live on the bench. Jordan Henderson should live on the streets. 55 million absolutely wasted. 4-5-1 pass and move is what we need Dalglish. Bring it back.

Haha, what a game though. Love Suarez. Love Swansea. Love football.
You coming around? :)

He won't be but Daglish should be sacked for those signings alone. Unless it was Damien "Moneyball" Comolli who sanctioned them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've said before, but I saw Connor Wickham playing for Ipswich at St James Park in the last game of the 09/10 season and he looked so far ahead of Carroll that day it wasn't true.

£35m for Carroll versus £8m for Wickham is loony toons time.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You coming around? :)

He won't be but Daglish should be sacked for those signings alone. Unless it was Damien "Moneyball" Comolli who sanctioned them.
I'm pretty sure Moneyball was about paying small amounts of money for quality players, as opposed to blowing every last penny in the piggy bank on ****e.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was a story of f365 a couple of weeks ago about how Suarez has the lowest goals to shots on target ratio of all the top strikers in the league, which isn't shocking.

All you need to do is watch the highlights of the Norwich game and see him hit 15 shots straight at the keeper to notice it. Quality player but his finishing leaves a lot to be desired, much like Tevez in his last season at United/first season at City.
I'm still a fan though, his immense quality gets him into far more good opportunities than anyone else and that's what really rubs in how ****ty his finishing can be. Wouldn't hesitate to have him at United, Hernandez is going through a bit of second season syndrome.