• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2011-12

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I remember the old days, when you just had deadline day in March. In 94 it seemed certain we would spend big for a final promotion push. They were talking of smashing our transfer record and getting Dion Dublin to partner Aldo.

I ran home from school, stuck Ceefax on...nothing yet. Hour and a half to go. Kept the pages turning...and turning...and turning

Signed Michael Oakes on loan from Villa to cover our sub keeper being injured. Didn't get promoted.

The following year we were linked with Fjortoft to partner Aldo. Had a bid turned down for Gary ****ing Bennett (who we would later sign anyway when we didn't ****ing need him, gah) who wasn't ever gonna be the man for a Prem Push anyway. Bottled the promotion push, Fjortoft went to Middlesbrough, they went up, along with B****n, and two years later had Brazillian internationals playing for them, gah

FML

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
League 1 watchers, what can you tell us about Oxlade-Chamberlain? Fmd we've spent a lot of money on a just about to turn 18 year old.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
*now Championship

pace pace pace. Has a wicked cross aswell. Final touch isn't always sublime, but I think he scored tenish goals last season, some of them very quality.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, looks a talent from what I've seen of him, seems to have good vision for a boy his age. Still largely unproven in anything resembling top-level competition though, so I'm surprised Wenger has spent quite so much (£12m up front plus £3m in add-ons) on him.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was outplayed by Jennings when we played Southampton, no word of a lie (search for them both together and you'll find a few reports backing that up).

Not that that's anything to be ashamed of, mind.

cpr

International Coach
Shades of the Walcott transfer for obvious comparisons.... TBH long term Wengers called that one right, so I'd back him over this.

duffer

Ryo gets his work permit. Heh, a nice quiet Japanese boy looks rather good to the Home Office then.

Already has a great chant on twitter:

His name is Ryo and he came here from Japan
But he's not a **** like that other one Ferdinand

so with him, Oxo,Walcott,Rosicky,Gervinho,Vela, Campbell at the club looks like we're stacking the wings for Nasri to go to City. 25 million please.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Stoke sign Upson. I know he's not the highest of high quality, but it's a top signing imo.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
A mere dwta could have spared me the emotional damage. :(

EDIT: Most people will probably agree with you Smitten, as he was gash most of last season. But with the added fixtures that Europe brings, I feel he could still have something to add, at least in rotation. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Last edited:

duffer

You forgot Shava!
If we sell Cesc and Nasri for 55-60m and only bring in Scott Dann then the Arsenal universe will go into meltdown. Justifiably so. Luckily for me I've been there for a couple of seasons so I can just laugh this off and be glad there's a new season coming.

We've never won the UEFA Cup/Europa League have we? Gonna be good in 2012/13.

duffer

Ivan Gazidis said:
Arsene recognises we need to have additions and addition or additions in our defence. He recognises there has been an issue there. And he will take steps to do that.
I have not had an evening off – and I’m leaving here to do some more work – we are working extremely hard on this but it’s not a supermarket where you go in and pick good players off the shelf. That’s not the way it works. I’m sorry but it’s much much more complex than that.
Heh, let's loot some then ffs.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Think we'll finish up like this as things stand:

1.United
2.City
3.Chelsea
4.Arsenal
5.Liverpool
6.Spurs

Still question marks over Liverpools new signings and how they handle pressure, Villas-Boas and don't think City's squad is balanced enough to win it all. **** Spurs.
1. Chelsea
2. City
3. United
4. Spurs
5. Liverpool
6. Stoke
7. Arsenal

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tottenham V Everton is called off.

Probably Everton's best start to a season in quite a while tbf.

Pothas

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. United
4. Spurs
5. Liverpool
6. Stoke
7. Arsenal
Yeah Stoke have done a great job and all but only players they have bought is one very average defender and another who has an injury record to rival even the most unlucky New Zealand pace bowler, can't see them getting any bettter than about 10th and could be a great deal lower.

Probably out of wishfull thinking Im predicting an Aguero inspired City to win it but if United do get Sneijder then I fear for this season. Will be pretty close between those two and Chelsea though.

Is this Cesc and Nasri thing actually happening today? Arsenal leaving themselves plenty of time to use the funds in time for the new season....