• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Kraken

International 12th Man
It also makes Cody look stupid, and it makes the WHC look really secondary (which it is, but this does not help)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I mean the E is totally throwing their last two years of storytelling down the ****ter for the sake of a quick buck here. Rock is a huge name obviously, but even with Punk and Brock out they were still going to make money hand over fist whatever was put on the WM card. This was actually probably the first year in ages they had enough genuinely over/ top stars to not need to rely on names from the past.
I think they need Austin to be the special guest referee though

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The video of the Rock/Cody/Reigns segment from Smackdown is now the most "disliked" video ever on the E's YouTube channel lmao

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Rock getting booed takes some ****ing effort, lol
Yeah, early signs are it might be one of the biggest creative blunders ever tbh. The real acid test will be the live crowd reactions. If they start hijacking and booing Daniel Bryan style then they will really get nervous.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Surely they could have had Cody win the belt in Saudi Arabia or Australia and had him do his own program for Mania while setting up Rock Vs Reigns?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Given the position they are now in, that would be a better option than going ahead with Rock vs Roman for the belt imo. But it would still be significantly "less good" than just letting Cody getting his win at WM (which is literally what they have building to for 2-3 years) imo.

Apparently Rock is also "pushing hard" to actually beat Roman as well, which is completely mad.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I am not really a huge fan of Cody tbh, but the way the E have built him over the last few years has been really good. They have made him feel like a genuine top star, and he is genuinely and organically over with the crowd. Long term storytelling and development of new stars is one of the main things they have (correctly) been criticised for over the years. But when they finally get it right and the finishing line is in sight they throw the whole thing under the bus so that the Rock can come in and "save" WM. It's not great.

Reigns' promo on Smackdown the other night was absolutely scathing as well. He absolutely buried Cody, buried the WHC, buried Seth Rollins, and buried the Royal Rumble. Said they were all idiots and pointless, and the funny thing is that nothing he said was untrue. I mean everyone knows that the WHC is the B title, but for Reigns to openly call it a joke and point out that the only people challenging for it are people he has beaten anyway really rams home how inferior it is. Same with Cody and the Rumble. What was the point in having the ****ing match at all if Cody wins it and then immediately goes "actually no thanks"? Bloke just looked like a complete ****ing goof. It actually gets worse/funnier the more you watch it. The whole segment just devalued so much they have done over the last year or so.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I guess another "out" they have is turning it into a triple threat at WM, and giving Cody his win that way. But even that would be much "less good" than just putting Cody over 1 v 1.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did they end up turning Roman heel in the end? Suffrin succotash was arguably the lamest bit I’ve ever seen on tv.

Heboric

International Debutant
I guess another "out" they have is turning it into a triple threat at WM, and giving Cody his win that way. But even that would be much "less good" than just putting Cody over 1 v 1.
Triple threat matches are cheap and nasty and normally telegraphs the belt is changing hands

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Triple threat matches are cheap and nasty and normally telegraphs the belt is changing hands
Oh yeah totally, it wouldn't be my preference at all. But, as a damage limitation mechanism, it's one possible pivot/road back from the dire situation they've created for themselves.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just checked and it currently stands at 1,252 days atm. Will no doubt be extended quite some way beyond that unless Rocky beats him too (which would be absolutely awful imo).
Yeah, if they’re trying to replicate a ‘beat the streak’ then Hollywood sellout Rock doing it would be plain bad. Absolutely no sustained payoff to come of it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, if they’re trying to replicate a ‘beat the streak’ then Hollywood sellout Rock doing it would be plain bad. Absolutely no sustained payoff to come of it.
Yeah, Cody is absolutely the only guy it makes sense to have go over him. Having Rock (i.e., a part-timer who hasn't wrestled in ten years) coming in and beating Reigns (another part-timer) is absolutely the worst imaginable option imo.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, Cody is absolutely the only guy it makes sense to have go over him. Having Rock (i.e., a part-timer who hasn't wrestled in ten years) coming in and beating Reigns (another part-timer) is absolutely the worst imaginable option imo.
Sami Zayn and main event Jey Uso could've had stories built to it if they started by Rumble.