• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing which often annoys me in wrestling is when a match is made out to be a massive blood feud with both guys screaming about how much they hate each other ...then when they get in the ring they just trade headlocks and holds and wrestle like it's any other match. [/SPOILER]
Yeah I feel you on this. Was the biggest reason Orton vs HHH at mania was such a clunker. He'd basically molested Stephanie in the buildup to the match. They also changed the stipulation at the last second that HH would lose the belt if disqualified which was a massive blunder. If HHH actually hated orton, he should've just said I dont care about the DQ, I'm just going to smash you in the face with a sledgehammer.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah I feel you on this. Was the biggest reason Orton vs HHH at mania was such a clunker. He'd basically molested Stephanie in the buildup to the match. They also made that match no DQ at the last second which was a massive blunder. If HHH actually hated orton, he should've just said I dont care about the DQ, I'm just going to smash you in the face with a sledgehammer.
iirc that match also included both guys spamming finishers in the first 2-3 minutes, which was really "wtf", and not in a good way

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
gosh that first 40 minutes of Dynamite was something special

It would have happenedd eventually I guess, because most "never agains" in wrestling are anything but

Having thought about it though, I'd agree with Marcuss that this is a pretty big loss for AEW. And that I have no confidence WWE will do anything interesting with him.
I think it's probably a boring "best for all parties" thing. Cody gets paid, Vince gets a win, Khan doesn't bend when he doesn't have to. And he didn't have to here. Cody's done his job, he's done the jobs to the point that the main event of the first show after he left were two guys he put over big time. But can you really pay real big money to a guy who can't wrestle for the top belt, didn't seem interested in a tag team and seemingly had a singular focus on a "neither face non heel" character that was diverse at best and lead to some car crash segments at worst and whose segments were increasingly out of step with the rest of the promotion.

that's not to say it isn't a risk for AEW, but I like it

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
gosh that first 40 minutes of Dynamite was something special

I think it's probably a boring "best for all parties" thing. Cody gets paid, Vince gets a win, Khan doesn't bend when he doesn't have to. And he didn't have to here. Cody's done his job, he's done the jobs to the point that the main event of the first show after he left were two guys he put over big time. But can you really pay real big money to a guy who can't wrestle for the top belt, didn't seem interested in a tag team and seemingly had a singular focus on a "neither face non heel" character that was diverse at best and lead to some car crash segments at worst and whose segments were increasingly out of step with the rest of the promotion.

that's not to say it isn't a risk for AEW, but I like it
Yeah, I daresay you are right and they will be fine. It's just that in my mind Cody is synonymous with AEW, and inspite of all the direness you mention, to me he was symbolically an important part of their brand/identity. However you slice it, his departure = one of their biggest names going out the door.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I will await the day when it is revealed that Cody was the mole sent by Tony Khan to crash the empire.

And in other news, apparently Stone Cold Steve Austin is rumored to return to action soon, including maybe a Wrestlemania storyline. :-O

Yeah, I daresay you are right and they will be fine. It's just that in my mind Cody is synonymous with AEW, and inspite of all the direness you mention, to me he was symbolically an important part of their brand/identity. However you slice it, his departure = one of their biggest names going out the door.
Its like JJ with TNA you mean?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
And in other news, apparently Stone Cold Steve Austin is rumored to return to action soon, including maybe a Wrestlemania storyline. :-O
Can't see it. This rumour comes up every 3-4 years or so. WWE clearly really desperate if they've legit approached him though.

Its like JJ with TNA you mean?
Haha well, kind of I guess. But by that time JJ was well and truly past his (very mediocre) best, and nobody ever really cared about TNA anyway.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Can't see it. This rumour comes up every 3-4 years or so. WWE clearly really desperate if they've legit approached him though.
The guys on the smark center seem to think its more legit than it was before and apparently its coz its all that oil money. Saudi apparently willing to shell out $3 M to him for one match of his or something.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The guys on the smark center seem to think its more legit than it was before and apparently its coz its all that oil money. Saudi apparently willing to shell out $3 M to him for one match of his or something.
Ha well, never say never in wrestling I guess. Part of me would like to see this, but mostly I hope he stays away. Austin one of the very few guys who have retired and actually managed to stay retired. Went out facing his biggest rival at the then biggest wrestling event of all time in a memorable showdown. Can't hope for a better end than that really. The prospect of him coming back (keeping in mind he's nearly 60 years old and hasn't wrestled at all for two decades) and stinking out the joint is a really dire one.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ha well, never say never in wrestling I guess. Part of me would like to see this, but mostly I hope he stays away. Austin one of the very few guys who have retired and actually managed to stay retired. Went out facing his biggest rival at the then biggest wrestling event of all time in a memorable showdown. Can't hope for a better end than that really. The prospect of him coming back (keeping in mind he's nearly 60 years old and hasn't wrestled at all for two decades) and stinking out the joint is a really dire one.
Apparently to fight Kevin Owens... But the bigger rumor seems to be that he wants a Goldberg type deal where he pops up now and then and works a program but then takes a break to heal up etc.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Apparently to fight Kevin Owens... But the bigger rumor seems to be that he wants a Goldberg type deal where he pops up now and then and works a program but then takes a break to heal up etc.
Well, can't say I'd blame him I guess. And Owens would make sense as an opponent narratively (i.e. because Owens has co-opted the stunner). But it's hard to really get invested in these sort of angles these days imo. It's fun and whatnot to see all the old favourites again, but when you know full well they're going to show up 2-3 times a year for one match and then disappear again whether they win/lose their match is ultimately meaningless and therefore impossible to care about.

Speaking of which, Goldberg just randomly showing up again and immediately getting a title match because... er... he's Goldberg I guess (despite three of his last four matches being for the world title and him losing all three of them) is pretty jarring and annoying. Idiots like Bully Ray seriously suggesting he ought to win the damn thing (i.e. by beating Roman ****ing Reigns of all people) are absolutely insane.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, can't say I'd blame him I guess. And Owens would make sense as an opponent narratively (i.e. because Owens has co-opted the stunner). But it's hard to really get invested in these sort of angles these days imo. It's fun and whatnot to see all the old favourites again, but when you know full well they're going to show up 2-3 times a year for one match and then disappear again whether they win/lose their match is ultimately meaningless and therefore impossible to care about.

Speaking of which, Goldberg just randomly showing up again and immediately getting a title match because... er... he's Goldberg I guess (despite three of his last four matches being for the world title and him losing all three of them) is pretty jarring and annoying. Idiots like Bully Ray seriously suggesting he ought to win the damn thing (i.e. by beating Roman ****ing Reigns of all people) are absolutely insane.
Everyone is living off nostalgia money man. :)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I hope he doesn’t. It’s why his legacy is so intact.
Obviously money talks but I always thought his body just isn’t up to it anyway

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I hope he doesn’t. It’s why his legacy is so intact.
Obviously money talks but I always thought his body just isn’t up to it anyway
I think his body has supposedly been fine for most of the last twenty years (or so he says anyway), it's just that he's not been interested. But yeah I don't disagree with you really.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I think his body has supposedly been fine for most of the last twenty years (or so he says anyway), it's just that he's not been interested. But yeah I don't disagree with you really.
Mostly fine because he hasn't been wrestling though?

I mean, he can't be short of cash. Still the number one merchandise seller for the WWE

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Mostly fine because he hasn't been wrestling though?

I mean, he can't be short of cash. Still the number one merchandise seller for the WWE
Not sure really. But there have been interviews over the years where he's said he could wrestle a match whenever he wanted to, his body was ready for it etc, he just cbf.

But yeah dude must be doing fine financially. Does loads of stuff outside his WWE affiliations too.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure really. But there have been interviews over the years where he's said he could wrestle a match whenever he wanted to, his body was ready for it etc, he just cbf.

But yeah dude must be doing fine financially. Does loads of stuff outside his WWE affiliations too.
Ah okay fair enough. I thought I remember him mentioning on a podcast of his that he credits his current health to no more time in the ring