• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Athlai

Not Terrible
There was no stipulation for Cody to never challenge again. It was just a promise. If he ever turned heel the first thing he'd have done is challenged for the title.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Around the time of it, TK made clear in those press calls it wasn't official and was Cody's decision only.
Could've still genuinely meant he never ever did, but a wrestlers word traditionally doesn't go too far

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It would have happenedd eventually I guess, because most "never agains" in wrestling are anything but

Having thought about it though, I'd agree with Marcuss that this is a pretty big loss for AEW. And that I have no confidence WWE will do anything interesting with him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
lol Cody being given the book for NXT would be hilarious

Wouldn't even be a bad idea imo, but the shade that would throw at HHH

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mania 19 is gun too (assume that's the one you'd have top). Kind of a reversal in that it's The Rock who's out of this world great and carries that one. Austin is kinda just there but I think he was pretty broken down physically then. That was a completely stacked mania show in general, might be my favourite one.
I love the 19 match. The whole thing with Rock and Austin's jacket cracks me up

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
12. The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels, Wrestlemania 25

I think of this as the archetypal 'modern' WWE big match. Then I realise it's from the decade before the decade before the current one and I realise I'm old. Anyway, it's a famously great Wrestlemania spectacle match. There's a scary spot about 2/3rds of the way through where Taker botches a big dive out of the ring and lands on his head. A nasty moment but it actually enhances the match as it solves a potential problem with this match up of how to make it credible that Michaels might win. After that spot Taker is (probably legit) shaken and HBK can start going toe to toe with him. It bridges the match neatly from the cagier cat and mouse games of the first half to the 'throw every big move they have at each other' finishing stretch.

11. Eddie Guerrero vs JBL, Judgement Day 2004

In the build up JBL had been an obnoxious troll, race baiting, class baiting and making personal (verbal) attacks on Eddie's family. One thing which often annoys me in wrestling is when a match is made out to be a massive blood feud with both guys screaming about how much they hate each other ...then when they get in the ring they just trade headlocks and holds and wrestle like it's any other match. Not an issue with this one. When the match starts Eddie just wants to hit JBL in the face. He abandons his usual technical style and just brawls and batters his opponent. That's how you sell a blood feud. Oh and speaking of blood, Eddie here hits surely the nastiest blade job in company history and bleeds an outrageous amount. Make sure you don't stop watching at the bell, as the sight of a crazed, blood-covered Eddie continuing to beat down JBL in the aftermath is cathartic.

20. Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels, Survivor Series 1997
19. The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wrestlemania 17
18. 123 Kid & Razor Ramon vs HBK & Diesel, Action Zone
17. Brock Lesnar vs Eddie Guerrero, No Way Out '04
16. The Revival vs DIY, NXT Takeover: Toronto
15. HBK vs The Undertaker, Bad Blood '97
14. Daniel Bryan vs Kofi Kingston, Wrestlemania 35
13. Bayley vs Sasha Banks, NXT Takeover: Respect
12. HBK vs The Undertaker, Wrestlemania 25
11. Eddie Guerrero vs JBL, Judgement Day '04

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
12. The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels, Wrestlemania 25

I think of this as the archetypal 'modern' WWE big match. Then I realise it's from the decade before the decade before the current one and I realise I'm old. Anyway, it's a famously great Wrestlemania spectacle match. There's a scary spot about 2/3rds of the way through where Taker botches a big dive out of the ring and lands on his head. A nasty moment but it actually enhances the match as it solves a potential problem with this match up of how to make it credible that Michaels might win. After that spot Taker is (probably legit) shaken and HBK can start going toe to toe with him. It bridges the match neatly from the cagier cat and mouse games of the first half to the 'throw every big move they have at each other' finishing stretch.
Selling this match way short imo. The ending definitely led to a lot of "two dudes kick out of everything" matches over the next few years but what made it work in this one was that there were really inventive counters that led into the finishing spots, especially the two tombstones.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think I've mentioned before, but I watched this match with a couple of guys whilst living in university halls of residence. We had already been to the pub earlier in the evening, and were several beers down, so were generally talking and laughing over the card up to this point (which was pretty crap iirc), only half paying attention to it.

But a few minutes into HBK v Taker everyone was totally glued to the screen and the room became silent. We barely said a word to eachother until the end of the match, and once it had finished we all just kind of looked around the room at one another with dumfounded expressions on our faces as if to say "well...that was really something".

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's as close to perfect as professional wrestling (or any other form of entertainment I guess) can get really.

Two of the very best ever performing (probably for the last time ever) at their absolute best. The kind of thing you feel priveleged to watch. Must have been awesome being there.

Closest thing I can compare it to was seeing McGrath just absolutely smoke England at Lords in 2005. You just know you're seeing something special and can't help but be in awe of it.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair shouts, and yeah I didn't mean to sound derogatory about the match (like every match on this list I love it, it's great). I think it's the best WWE match of its style and can see why others might rate it even higher. (In the top dozen matches in company history is already pretty high!)