• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I've not followed weekly wrestling shows for years, but I still enjoy going back and watching classic matches that I either remember nostalgically or hear good things about. But I've not watched anything in ages. So do the CW wrestling crew have any particular favourite matches they can recommend to me to check out? Not particularly fussed about promotion or era, so long as I can find the match to watch I'll give it a go.
When did you last watch/up to what era are you already familiar with?

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
When did you last watch/up to what era are you already familiar with?
WWE I know well from about 2000-2012 maybe, and I've watched stuff before then and afterwards on a more selective basis. The further you get from those years in either direction the less likely I am to have seen it. I did watch NXT a bit later than that (last I watched was the first Ciampa vs Johnny Gargano match I think).

AJPW I've seen a lot of 90s stuff.

Other than those two places I've seen odd matches here and there from allsorts (WCW/NJPW/US indies/old school territory stuff/lucha/Joshi/TNA/other random Japanese feds) but don't know any of those well - just dipped into random matches.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I've not followed weekly wrestling shows for years, but I still enjoy going back and watching classic matches that I either remember nostalgically or hear good things about. But I've not watched anything in ages. So do the CW wrestling crew have any particular favourite matches they can recommend to me to check out? Not particularly fussed about promotion or era, so long as I can find the match to watch I'll give it a go.
I am currently watching the 1995 WWF shows... New Gen is just fun. :) Those 40 min RAW episodes and Superstars etc. The Million Dollar Corporation, the funky dresses, and characters, the overload of fireworks and laser lights.

And some interestingly good wrestling now and then too, especially for the story driven style that WWF preached back then.

Athlai

Not Terrible
WWE I know well from about 2000-2012 maybe, and I've watched stuff before then and afterwards on a more selective basis. The further you get from those years in either direction the less likely I am to have seen it. I did watch NXT a bit later than that (last I watched was the first Ciampa vs Johnny Gargano match I think).

AJPW I've seen a lot of 90s stuff.

Other than those two places I've seen odd matches here and there from allsorts (WCW/NJPW/US indies/old school territory stuff/lucha/Joshi/TNA/other random Japanese feds) but don't know any of those well - just dipped into random matches.
Recently AEW since its inception has been very good.
NXT golden years were 2015-2018
Smackdown late 2016-2017 was gun and was still pretty good till about 2019
Smackdown 2021 is also pretty good
NJPW were great throughout the 2010s though have been a bit wobbly so far in 2020s.

DCYE will know more about the independents. I definitely think watching youtube of Smackdown in that time, and watching the actual Takeovers/PPVs for NJPW/AEW/NXT would be a good time.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Funny because its bad -
Raw Underground
The bloke whos title reign ended the gun period for Smackdown
Wasting Bray Wyatt #1
Wasting Bray Wyatt #2
Wasting Bray Wyatt as the Fiend #3
(the 4th and current wasting of Bray Wyatt isnt that funny unfortunately more just confusing)
The Humiliation of Drake Maverick
EVIL as the Top Guy
Zombie match crossover with Army of the Dead
That time they had a match about removing someones eye
RETRIBUTION
Every single Saudi Arabia show
The times (yes more than once) when Goldberg headbutted the door before the match so hard he was bleeding during his entrance

Mike5181

International Captain
Basically any big New Japan Pro Wrestling match from 2014/15 - 2018. Honestly, just grabbing a subscription to NJPW World and watching their big Wrestle Kingdom + Dominion events from that period would be a good introduction. Like Wrestle Kingdom 9 had Nakamura vs. Ibushi and Tanahashi vs. Okada, two of my favourite matches ever.

Last edited:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Cheers all. I could count the number of modern NJ matches I've seen on one hand so maybe I'll start there. (I think I have seen that Ibushi Nakamura match before though and it was great. I don't think I've ever seen a Tanahashi match.)

@dontcloseyoureyes yeah I'd be up for checking out some Indies stuff too if you've got some recommendations. I'm not so keen on the death match stuff, but anything else I'd give a go.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Jumped in this evening by watching a couple of Tanahashi vs Suzuki title matches from 2012, one at Wrestlekingdom 6, one later in the year. The WK one was ok but nothing special, but I was glad I checked out the second one as it was way better, seriously great match.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
My fav match of the last few years was definitely Takeda vs Kodaka but that's very much a deathmatch so I'll spare you (though it absolutely rules as a straight wrestling match as well). I'd say the Champions Carnival final in 2018 is maybe my most memorable match. Marufuji returning to All Japan for the first time to compete in the CC and facing AJPW ace Kento Miyahara in the final.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I watch it via Fite TV which has an AEW streaming offer called AEW Plus for like $5 a month.

If that doesn't work out for you I can probably find some less than official channels once I get home

Athlai

Not Terrible
Any videos you can link to? We dont get AEW on any of our networks or streaming here in India. :(
Oh wait theyre on reddit

Other things that happened on Dynamite:

Jericho got his face cut open by Nick Gage with a pizza cutter. MJF announced the next trial Jericho will face next week is Juventud Guerrera (wtf is this a Jericho retirement tour? Insanity)
Tanahashi appeared via video to challenge Lance Archer (probably on a NJPW event)
Moxley looks like he will get to fight some NJPW guys (probably on AEW but outside shot he goes for a G1)

Darby Allin called out CM Punk for the Chicago show.

It's just the superior wrestling show right now

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
My fav match of the last few years was definitely Takeda vs Kodaka but that's very much a deathmatch so I'll spare you (though it absolutely rules as a straight wrestling match as well). I'd say the Champions Carnival final in 2018 is maybe my most memorable match. Marufuji returning to All Japan for the first time to compete in the CC and facing AJPW ace Kento Miyahara in the final.

Checked this out today. It's my first look at Kento and the last time I saw Marufuji I think was his GHC title run in '06.

Kento actually reminded me of a young Marufuji or KENTA with his offence and general swagger (or maybe it's just who he was sharing the ring with). Anyway, he seemed crazy over with the crowd which is always a big plus. Piledriver spot looked great and built to a hot finish, nice match.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Funny because its bad -
Raw Underground
The bloke whos title reign ended the gun period for Smackdown
Wasting Bray Wyatt #1
Wasting Bray Wyatt #2
Wasting Bray Wyatt as the Fiend #3
(the 4th and current wasting of Bray Wyatt isnt that funny unfortunately more just confusing)
The Humiliation of Drake Maverick
EVIL as the Top Guy
Zombie match crossover with Army of the Dead
That time they had a match about removing someones eye
RETRIBUTION
Every single Saudi Arabia show
The times (yes more than once) when Goldberg headbutted the door before the match so hard he was bleeding during his entrance

Add -

Firing Bray Wyatt