• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Surely they won't do it, but would be great if they did.

Lol@ Moxley video-bombing Renee Young as she was recording WWE Backstage last night.

Kraken

International 12th Man
Very intrigued to see where Matt Hardy goes with this current incarnation of Broken Matt, with his new essence, Damascus. Would assume he would be a more violent version, which I'm all for. He and Jericho are two of the greatest minds of the past 20 years, I expect big things between Broken Matt and Le Champion.

Bahseph

State Captain
Roman should never have left his house after the Pandemic hit the US imo. The man has cancer history. I don't understand how Wrestlemania is going on. I'm going to watch it, but it's just so bizzare.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Afraid I can't add to the discussion of the current scene but stumbling onto this thread has got me thinking about wrestling again (truthfully not hard to do even though I've not followed for a while). Since it seems to be seasonal, what are folks' favourite matches from Wrestlemanias past? (Sorry if this question is a bit passe amongst the regulars here.)

I'll throw out 3. Might be a bit obvious, I've not got a sense of the zeitgeist here.

1) Hart vs Hart, WM10
Wasn't actually watching back then so only saw this in retrospect. But the story of sibling rivalry is very accessible (especially to a middle child of 3 brothers like me) and both wrestlers are obviously top draw. Was instantly one of my favourite matches the first time I watched it, and still felt the same rewatching it only a year or so back.

2) Rock vs Austin, WM17
Classic match from the height of WWE's mainstream popularity. Two of the most charismatic wrestlers ever on red hot form in the biggest match of the year. I remember views on the finish were mixed but I think it was perfect (and Austin's subsequent heel run was golden).

3) Reigns vs Lesnar (vs Rollins), WM31
My watching was already sporadic at this point, so I didn't watch this one live either. I'd seen the preceding Rumble and thought it was a flop. I'd loved the Shield but didn't think Reigns had much to offer in singles. Thankfully a friend told me the next day I needed to check it out (spoiler free). Reigns is actually great as the overmatched challenger taking a beating but hanging on, and Brock when he's at his best is as good as anyone ever I think. Feels much more violent and intense than the staged danger of most hardcore matches and the comeback when it finally arrives is exhilarating. Then Rollins shows up and crashes things. Which is fine too I guess. There are probably 30 other matches I might say this about on different days, but I think this is my favourite WWE match ever.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't know if many had a problem with the work Austin did as a heel. He was terrific and a lot of the stuff was not as bad as it seemed then, in retrospect. The biggest hurdle, IMO, was the fact that most crowds absolutely refused to boo Austin.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
True, and that trend was set right from the off as he gets a huge pop for winning the title despite the heel turn. (Probably not a good idea to have it all go down in Texas then...)

That 01 run was incredible though work wise. I think a number of Attitude era stars had their best matches opposite Austin during that run.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
People absolutely hated the Austin turn, and it is widely acknowledged as being a driving factor in a massive downturn in the business.

I personally enjoyed it, but I'm definitely in the minority in that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, it has aged better for me, I guess. I was not a great fan at that time but looking back, its probably more because I did not want Austin to be a heel in the first place than any bad work on their part. And I think most crowds (read: people) just wanted to cheer for Austin, irrespective of what he was doing. Wasn't the famous WHAT schtick born out of that heel run?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Nobody wanted to boo him or see him as the bad guy. That's what caused the big downturn. A huge number of people just tuned out and never came back.