• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I think the only way Bryan could have not won and the fans not booed the winner out of the building would have been if Ziggler/Ambrose or someone like Rock had won it tbh.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm obviously too lazy to watch the week to week stuff, but from what I've read, if they handled the injury better and not telegraphed this result from months out, maybe Roman could have won and not be booed, right?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm obviously too lazy to watch the week to week stuff, but from what I've read, if they handled the injury better and not telegraphed this result from months out, maybe Roman could have won and not be booed, right?
Hmmm, maybe. But I think it's more a case of people just not liking him enough. The main problem with him as a choice of winner is that he is just not over enough, which is partly down to him being handled badly, and partly down to the fact that as an individual he just has not been able to get the fans to root for him.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seeing though I missed most of his career can someone explain to me the Reigns hate? Personally haven't been that impressed by him but he hasn't done anything too detestable for mine.

On another note that Triple Threat was incredible, wrestling is so much better without the spoilers.

OverratedSanity

Seeing though I missed most of his career can someone explain to me the Reigns hate? Personally haven't been that impressed by him but he hasn't done anything too detestable for mine.

On another note that Triple Threat was incredible, wrestling is so much better without the spoilers.
He's done nothing to make anyone hate him. And that's precisely the problem. As a singles performer, he's done nothing. Had a good showing last time at the rumble in 2014 when ironically people were cheering for him (or rather, against Batista) and beat Orton once. That's it.

You don't stick a guy with one significant singles ppv match in the ****ing main event of wrestlemania. Give him the ic title, or make him go through the king of the ring tournament, or make him win the survivor series match (which was the plan but Reigns got injured).

Virtually every top star goes through that rite of passage. Unfortunately Reigns didn't do any of that and fans rightly now look at him as the guy who's been given opportunities because he has a famous uncle in the business. He's just been thrown into the biggest ppv in the calendar against Lesnar, the guy who has been booked to be the most dominant wwe champion ever. It just doesn't feel right and is coming off as extremely forced.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not convinced he would have gone over especially well last year really. When it came down to him and Batista the fans were booing the hell out of both of them before seeming to decide that Reigns was the lesser of two evils.

OverratedSanity

A co-worker reminded me of this promo today. One of the great heels of all time tbh....sadly turned out to be his last promo.

And watching the promo now, the reaction of the crowd is..... disturbing to say the very least.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Guy had awesome potential imo. He had the look, was great on the mic, and pretty serviceable in ring too from what I remember. He was only in his early 20s at the time of this promo as well iirc. Angles/Characters that are heavily politically charged are always in danger of straying into dodgy territory though, and I guess he paid the ultimate price in the end.

lolled @ how when Daivari gets on the mic and starts speaking in Arabic the crowd boo the **** out of him. Amusing, but concerning.

Also always found it amusing how Daivari (an Arab) was just automatically made the manager of the Great Khali (an Indian) when the latter debuted, because...reasons!

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hassan is the greatest gimmick I've ever seen. Vince blew the chance (pardon the pun) to make millions with him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Got an email from wwe yesterday telling me the network is free for February

Apparently it's because people who got it especially for the rumble complained about it being given away for free on Raw. But if you were bothered about that you could always cancel given the network is free for two weeks anyway

Could be nonsense mind you

OverratedSanity

Guy had awesome potential imo. He had the look, was great on the mic, and pretty serviceable in ring too from what I remember. He was only in his early 20s at the time of this promo as well iirc. Angles/Characters that are heavily politically charged are always in danger of straying into dodgy territory though, and I guess he paid the ultimate price in the end.

lolled @ how when Daivari gets on the mic and starts speaking in Arabic the crowd boo the **** out of him. Amusing, but concerning.

Also always found it amusing how Daivari (an Arab) was just automatically made the manager of the Great Khali (an Indian) when the latter debuted, because...reasons!
The most unfortunate thing was that they did that dumb "masked men attack attack undertaker" angle which removed a lot of subtlety from the character (because Hassan before that didn't really do anything outright evil) on the same day of the London bombings. Worst luck ever. That just killed his gimmick.

Hassan is the greatest gimmick I've ever seen. Vince blew the chance (pardon the pun) to make millions with him.
Yeah, he's one of my favourites too, coz he wasnt the typical foreign heel. He was an American who dropped truth bombs and attempted to expose prejudice and predictably got booed just coz Arabs. And the greatest thing was that the babyfaces whom he feuded with were clearly the racist ones. Genius. Steve Austin once called Hassan and Daivari "sandpeople" in a promo and got cheered *cringe*

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The fact that the whole Undertaker angle happened on the day of the London bombings was an unfortunate coincidence for sure, but one suspects that it would have drawn massive criticism in any event. Regardless of context Vince just went way too far with things. Having just watched that segment again, there is something really really sinister about it for mine - no wonder the TV networks threatened to ditch WWE if Hassan wasn't removed.

OverratedSanity

Yeah as I said it just made Hassan pretty much a terrorist tbf. Pretty unnecessary to get masked men involved trying to choke people with wire.

I still believe though that had it not been for the bombings the furor wouldn't have been anywhere near what it was. It got picked up by the mainstream media in a big way because of the timing.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Given what happened about 4 years previously there was no way that a gang of hooded/masked men dressed in khaki, led by an Arab, viciously assaulting an American ever wouldn't have gone down like a total sack of **** imo.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, going full terrorist was an insane booking move. Not just for the obvious network blowback, but it ruined the entire point of Hassan anyway.