• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Watched the AJPW.tv debut tonight on a few hours delay because I was at a concert. A few notes:

- Undercard was solid but unspectacular. Unsurprisingly the promotion probably doesn't have a massive amount of depth, but there were some good matches all the same.
- Nagata is great, as always.
- Jnr Heavyweight title match was really good. Looking forward to following this division.
- World Tag Title match was my favourite on the card
- Main Event had a great finish and a bit of shock booking decision (well, apparently, according to my twitter, people didn't expect Kento to win until their next big show) but Doering isn't really my style, I guess. Maybe I'll warm up to him, I've read good things.

Overall I definitely enjoyed it, will stick out the sub through the first month. There's 8 or 9 shows being streamed so will definitely find out if I have the interest in it to keep it up. I heard DDT was really good today as well, so I'm looking forward to watching that sometime after the NJPW Long Beach show tomorrow, really glad I've gotten more into Puro over the last few months.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man I wish we could have got commentary that knows the story, or a better Japanese feed

Incredible match

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Quick thoughts on SSE:
- Woeful commentary throughout, from Barnett dropping an f-bomb just after the first match finished when he thought his mic off, to JR referring to ZSJ as Jack, to JR calling GL the Young Lovers, to Barnett talking over the top of Kaze ni Nare, and many many more things. It's a shame they can't get Kelly and Callis on these shows, they really deserve it. The Japanese comms were obviously better but in the studio, so there was no crowd reaction mics, so it was a no-go for me.
- Along with the terrible commentary, the video direction was abysmal. Missing a load of spots, way too much close up in the entrances, and other general *********ry. Apparently the camera crew hadn't shot a wrestling show before, which is pretty garbage and hopefully they get at least some of their team over for the G1 Special in July.
- Thought most, if not all, of the undercard was very average other than Cody standing out as a genuine superstar and Hiromu vs Dragon Lee being insane. Liger having matches as good as that at 53 is awe-inspiring. The Marty/Liger/Ospreay/Mysterio potential stories for the future are really exciting. Seeing a Rey vs Marty match would really be enjoyable, and another one with Ospreay would be great as well.
- A lot of **** out there about the Jay White and Hangman match but I thought it was really great. Took its time to build but they brutalised each other. That German botch "on" the apron was scary as ****, though. Finlay as the next challenger is interesting. I know they probably are going to do this, but I hope they don't make the US title a gaijin-only title.
- YB vs GL was expectedly fantastic. The emotion seemed real, the storytelling was powerful and the spots were terrifying. Even the botches played into the story of the match, which is something special. When they announced the changed time limit of 60mins I thought the match might go to a time limit draw with a weird finish, but I'm glad it ended the way it did. It needed to. They seem to be heading in a YB split direction, but I hope that's a swerve, personally. Seeing Matt and Nick wrestle each other would just be too weird, though I suppose it could be used as a bit of a swerve to "fool" Cody or something. Who knows, all I know is that I'm heavily invested.

Watching DDT Judgement now, in the middle of the tag title match. Marufuji & HARASHIMA are so good to watch. Sekimoto is the nuggetiest man I ever saw, he's wider than he is tall.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
While playing some Pillars of Eternity after work I had wooo going and some of the Stardom matches in this playlist have been amazing. Shirai vs Iwatani was so good, Mayu was a bloody mess by the end.

Athlai

Not Terrible
**** I love this commentary pair. Honestly crack me up so much.

Is this a new golden age of English wrestling commentary? WWE the best since it’s been since JR and King at their peak. Callis and Kelly are great for NJPW IMO. I think Impacts may still be dire, but who cares really.

Agent TBY

International Captain
That was a lot of fun. Highlight being getting an autographed shirt from and shaking the hand of Suzuki ****ing Minoru, holy ****.

Athlai

Not Terrible
That was a lot of fun. Highlight being getting an autographed shirt from and shaking the hand of Suzuki ****ing Minoru, holy ****.
We’re they covered in Naitos blood? On The stream we saw they brawled to downstairs and then they were gone. Presumably Suzuki killed him and now has to lay low for a while.

Agent TBY

International Captain
It was before the event, so no. Unfortunately.

And yeah they just trotted off via the losers' exit at some point. I nearly missed it because of the shenanigans (which by the way feel worse live because it's impossible to keep up with everything.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Btw it was weird how Naito got like, no, shine at all during the match. People screaming themselves hoarse for him and he did nothing but spit at Suzuki. :laugh:

The opening match went over really well with the crowd. People love their young lions.