• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Also recall Smitteh years back saying he wanted to go back and watch every Raw 97-01. Not sure if the network gives you that ability yet but am sure it will soon and I may do something similar.

Need Virgin media to get the app on TiVo but I doubt WWE would want to damage their relationship with sky further

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also recall Smitteh years back saying he wanted to go back and watch every Raw 97-01. Not sure if the network gives you that ability yet but am sure it will soon and I may do something similar.

Need Virgin media to get the app on TiVo but I doubt WWE would want to damage their relationship with sky further
This is something that would make me want to purchase it actually. However, I wonder if the heavy presence of a certain Mr Benoit might make the last few years of that period somewhat problematic, since he featured really heavily in high profile angles almost as soon as he joined the company.

Edit: Annoyingly it would mean losing so many of Jericho's best matches as well.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I heard of someone deciding to re-watch the dying years of WCW. I have no idea if they did it but by all reports that would be starting new standards when it comes to hate watching

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This is something that would make me want to purchase it actually. However, I wonder if the heavy presence of a certain Mr Benoit might make the last few years of that period somewhat problematic, since he featured really heavily in high profile angles almost as soon as he joined the company.

Edit: Annoyingly it would mean losing so many of Jericho's best matches as well.

Pretty sure Benoit matches etc are featured just fine it's just that they don't use him in promotional materials

Agent TBY

International Captain
go back and watch every Raw 97-01
I actually did this a couple of years ago (started with Bret's return at Survivor Series 96 and watched all the way up to WMXX) and honestly, I wouldn't recommend it.

Firstly, the amount of violence is really hard to digest now that we're aware of its long-term effects on the people involved.

Secondly, and probably more importantly, it makes it really clear that much of the love for the era is simply rose-tinted glasses. There was an absurd amount of Wrestlecrap, lots of moronic booking and, outside of PPVs, really bad wrestling. Smackdown following the brand split is the only part worth checking out imo.

Watch the PPVs in order, sure, but do yourself a favour and skip the Raws and Smackdowns.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I actually did this a couple of years ago (started with Bret's return at Survivor Series 96 and watched all the way up to WMXX)
Might I enquire as to the, no doubt legit, source of your viewing? I'd be quite keen to watch, if only to confirm my own suspicions about rose-tinted lenses and all that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I actually did this a couple of years ago (started with Bret's return at Survivor Series 96 and watched all the way up to WMXX) and honestly, I wouldn't recommend it.

Firstly, the amount of violence is really hard to digest now that we're aware of its long-term effects on the people involved.

Secondly, and probably more importantly, it makes it really clear that much of the love for the era is simply rose-tinted glasses. There was an absurd amount of Wrestlecrap, lots of moronic booking and, outside of PPVs, really bad wrestling. Smackdown following the brand split is the only part worth checking out imo.

Watch the PPVs in order, sure, but do yourself a favour and skip the Raws and Smackdowns.
IMO a lot of the PPVS around 98-99 were trash, save for some gun main events.

2000 and 2001 was the best time for PPVs. Watched the full lot a few years back and even random stuff I didn't remember was great, like HHH V Kane in a chain match for the IC title which i assumed would be dog turd.

I'd actually say most of the PPVs now are better quality overall than in the 'golden' era because the overall roster is better, they just don't have the money men at the top

andmark

International Captain
What do you guys think about The Ascension?

I've never really been a fan of them because their matches in NXT were usually boring and to use the phrase "a bathroom break" for NXT episodes. For that matter, the only reason they lasted so long as NXT tag champs was because of a lack of depth in the division at the time, which if they'd entered NXT today, their title reign would likely had been much short (particularly if Itami and Balor stay together as a team). Their lack of success on the main roster appears to be due to their gimmick(s) being changed to an extent to which they seem like rip-offs of the Road Warriors which maybe a touch unfortunate as that stuff is largely out of their control. But even then, they could add something more original when they talk instead of being the usual WWE attempt of a late Halloween.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Saw it on the Apps section of my XBox last night actually. Kind of tempted, but honestly, I don't think £6 per month, though it's not a lot, would really represent particularly good value for money for me. I just don't watch enough and/or regularly to really make it worthwhile. Had it come out a few years back I would have defo had a crack at it - but, as things stand, I already pay monthly for several other over-the-top services like Netflix (which costs the same as the WWE Network - and contains far greater varierty), I don't think I can really be bothered to fork out extra for this.

Would defo be interested in an app that let you purchase specific PPV events alone and so on though.
lol you cheap ****

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Interesting point. Makes sense that the undercard during 97-99 sucked, but I'd like to check it out myself.

I never will though. Massive cbf.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hogan presenting HOF to Savage seems fitting imo. Savage to rap about how much he hates Hogan on stage.