• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Spikey, how much do you know about the Australian scene? Came across a Last Woman Standing match but watching it involves paying for an entire MCW show.

Worth it?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm guessing you've probably seen it, but of the Misawa matches I've seen, which admittedly is only 4-5, this is probably my favourite. Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada (03.06.1994)
Yep. Still the single best match ever imo. This vid cuts out their entrances which is a bit of a shame... the crowd chanting their names as they walk out is so friggin epic.

I could list like 50 matches from the big 4 tbh so I won't even bother. Loads of good stuff from Tsuruta, Akiyama, Hansen and Dr death too

Spikey

Spikey, how much do you know about the Australian scene? Came across a Last Woman Standing match but watching it involves paying for an entire MCW show.

Worth it?
I know nothing, I feel pretty guilty about it, but I have a feeling I heard about this match at the time and saw the praise for it and never got around to watching it. It involves Evie right? I'd argue you should pay up for NJPW for this month first ;) I'll buy and watch the show after Dominion

Everyone in this thread should get on this asap
I'm guessing you've probably seen it, but of the Misawa matches I've seen, which admittedly is only 4-5, this is probably my favourite. Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada (03.06.1994)

The other two I remember loving were:
Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue - AJPW 09.06.1995
Mitsuharu Misawa Vs. Kenta Kobashi - NOAH 01.03.2003

Haven't seen much of Toyota, so I'll get on that at some point. This is probably the best Women's match I've seen:
Kansai, Ozaki, Suzuki & Fukuoka (JWP) vs Kong, K. Inoue, T. Inoue & Hasegawa (31.07.1993)

The funny about this is that almost as soon as I made that post and went into other corners of the internet, I was made aware that the 8th of June basically marked the anniversary of Mitsuharu Misawa: Misawa vs. Tsuruta: 25 years ago, the bout that created and defined an era of pro wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsMQi6B7WuA

A couple of months ago I made an effort to find the match where Tiger Mask II unmasked himself (after the 10th minute mark), but I never made an effort to follow up :laugh:

(the elbow that's referred in that article happens around the [9th minute mark)

I can't remember if I posted it in here, but I really enjoyed this Kobashi and others tag that marked it's 25th anniversary the other week. Hot hot crowd.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I know nothing, I feel pretty guilty about it, but I have a feeling I heard about this match at the time and saw the praise for it and never got around to watching it. It involves Evie right? I'd argue you should pay up for NJPW for this month first ;) I'll buy and watch the show after Dominion
Yeah, I thought I typed 'involving Evie' but apparently I didn't. I can't help but imagine the Aus scene is overwhelmingly dire, but I should give it a chance. Looks like NSW isn't exactly a big state for it though -- Ospreay at Paddington RSL aside.

NJPW World for Dominion probably not a bad shout; if I was going to buy it though, BOSJ was the best chance I'd have of justifying it to myself. When does the G1 start?

Spikey

I don't think I've listened to the English commentary since Corino left. Admittedly I've also become familiar with just about everyone on the roster and don't really need the guidance anymore. The Japanese commentary always sounds great

Yeah, I thought I typed 'involving Evie' but apparently I didn't. I can't help but imagine the Aus scene is overwhelmingly dire, but I should give it a chance. Looks like NSW isn't exactly a big state for it though -- Ospreay at Paddington RSL aside.

NJPW World for Dominion probably not a bad shout; if I was going to buy it though, BOSJ was the best chance I'd have of justifying it to myself. When does the G1 start?
It looks like there's no video for NSW stuff which is interesting

G1 spreads over July and August but participates and exact dates,etc, haven't really been announced yet. That will probably happen tonight. The G1 special shows in America are on the first of July

Spikey

No. Matches Stipulations
1 David Finlay, Shota Umino and Tomoyuki Oka vs. Hirai Kawato, Katsuya Kitamura and Tetsuhiro Yagi (Six-man tag team match)

2 Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Jushin Thunder Liger, Manabu Nakanishi and Satoshi Kojima vs. Tiger Mask, Tiger Mask W, Togi Makabe and Yuji Nagata (Eight-man tag team match)

3 Los Ingobernables de Japon (Bushi, Evil and Sanada) (c) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Hangman Page and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. Chaos (Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano and Yoshi-Hashi) vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Yoshinobu Kanemaru and Zack Sabre Jr.) vs. Taguchi Japan (Juice Robinson, Ricochet and Ryusuke Taguchi) (Gauntlet match for the NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship)

4 Roppongi Vice (Beretta and Rocky Romero) (c) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) (Tag team match for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship)

5 War Machine (Hanson and Raymond Rowe) (c) vs. Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Roa) (Tag team match for the IWGP Tag Team Championship)

6 Cody vs. Michael Elgin (Singles match)

7 Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs. Kushida (Singles match for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship

8 Minoru Suzuki (c) vs. Hirooki Goto (Lumberjack deathmatch for the NEVER Openweight Championship)

9 Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (Singles match for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship)

10 Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Kenny Omega (Singles match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship)
Predictions + some context for the undercard. All these matches will be fairly short affairs

1. Six-man tag team match
This is the Young Lion showcase, it'll be all very basic stuff as is the Young Lion way, and Finlay being the only non Young Lion will likely get the pin. Most of these Young Lions look promising. I like Hirai Kawato the best so far

2. Eight-man tag team match
And this is the Veteran showcase, everyone here except Ibushi/Tiger Mask W is a 90's/early 00's star. It doesn't really matter who wins, but I think Liger might get the pin as he's going to the G1 LA shows unlike the rest.

3. NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship Gauntlet
They did this match at Wrestle Kingdom, basically to get everyone onto the card. Funnily enough, they've had to fly out Adam Page from the US just so the Bullet Club have enough guys for this match. As a result I think that team is the only team that can't win it. Beyond that, there'll be a lot of finishers and pins (duh, it's a Gauntlet match) and Zack Sabre might wear his Corbyn shirt and Taguchi Japan will do fun stuff and Ishii will be a bad ass. It'll be perfectly fine to watch and someone will win but it doesn't really matter.

4. IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
The Young Bucks will win this because it's insanely obvious for them to have the belts for the LA shows. It'll be a perfectly decent match and Trent will get beaten up.

5. IWGP Tag Team Championship
This could be pretty good, although I think the quiet period the Guerrillas of Destiny have had since January might hurt a bit. War Machine basically seem to get better and better with every match. I'm not exactly sure what War Machine's upcoming US schedule is, but it could be they retain here and they build for a rematch between these two at the Tokyo Dome.

6. Cody vs. Michael Elgin
Ah **** you Cody. I can't believe Elgin is gonna do a job so you can have a title shot (for either the IC or IWGP belt) in LA.

And all the title matches should be great, although the last two don't have much of a chance of being better than their WK matches, especially considering Tanahashi's biceps

My picks are:
KUSHIDA
Goto
Tanahashi
Omega

BUT
I could see Naito winning and then dropping the belt in LA (although if Naito wins he's supposedly retiring the belt) due to Tanahashi's injury, and I think they might do an Omega/Okada time limit draw at some stage, although it makes sense to do it when Omega is the title holder.

Spikey

Better undercard than WK so far. Heavyweight tag match should be better than the WK one too