• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Mike5181

International Captain
Naito pulling in those 5 star matches from Big Daddy Meltzer.

I can't remember if I posted anything about the match with Elgin, but it's very good if anyone missed it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Did that ever really happen though?

Remember random tag matches with Shawn Michaels, Diesel and Undertaker against Yokozuna, Bull Dog and Owen and commentators always used to hype up how the Camp Cornette were favorites as they were used to working as a team. Same with Smoking Guns Vs Ahmed Johnson and HBK... Or when Razor Ramon and 1 2 K Kid faced Ted Dibiase's guys.. Or LOD taking on Shawn and Austin. There were many instances like that in the New Gen era.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Remember random tag matches with Shawn Michaels, Diesel and Undertaker against Yokozuna, Bull Dog and Owen and commentators always used to hype up how the Camp Cornette were favorites as they were used to working as a team. Same with Smoking Guns Vs Ahmed Johnson and HBK... Or when Razor Ramon and 1 2 K Kid faced Ted Dibiase's guys.. Or LOD taking on Shawn and Austin. There were many instances like that in the New Gen era.
Well before my time. I got WCW at midnight that I watched infrequently in 1997 because I was 8 and it was midnight. I switched to WWF with Jericho.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Remember random tag matches with Shawn Michaels, Diesel and Undertaker against Yokozuna, Bull Dog and Owen and commentators always used to hype up how the Camp Cornette were favorites as they were used to working as a team. Same with Smoking Guns Vs Ahmed Johnson and HBK... Or when Razor Ramon and 1 2 K Kid faced Ted Dibiase's guys.. Or LOD taking on Shawn and Austin.
Lmao yeah, the F's booking in those days was so logical.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Where did I say they were totally logical? I am just saying they booked those singles stars vs tag teams well.. And honestly, as bad as the booking was at times then, they did surely listen to the fans a lot more than folks do now. Monopolizing a business does that, I guess.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It sounds like you are pining for glory days that never actually existed. You've not really provided any evidence for what you are trying to argue. From what I've seen the majority of your posts over the last few pages have strongly criticised the E for poor booking decisions etc. But you've totally overlooked the fact that from some perspectives some of the WWE programming from the last 5 years or so has been incredibly strong. Some of their best work angles/matches maybe ever have happened during this time period. Certainly this period may also have been pervaded by a lot of crap, but the same can be said for literally any period in the company's history. The "good old" days of WWF/E programming didn't/don't exist in the way a lot of people would have others believe.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think that is where we differ. I like the "Entertainment" of wrestling a lot more than actual mat wrestling, or the way folks tell a "story" through their match. I mean, dont get me wrong, I can appreciate good wrestling but to me, there are no great matches without great stories preceding whatever story they tell during the actual match itself. And I am just here to mention my opinion. I do not follow the E as much as I used to and I am just bummed coz I see some guys with real potential to entertain and they are being wasted coz the booking is more often than not, predictable. Maybe if we had the net and all these Meltzers, I would have felt the same way about wrestling in the 90s. Or maybe it just a natural way of how you look at it as a teenager compared to an almost middle aged person. But whatever the reason be, I just dont think WWE are doing as much as they can with the talent they have right now and most of it comes down to rather predictable "shove em down our throat" booking and I dont think that existed that much back in the 90s Again, it is one thing when you are competing to get the fans' attention and time, quite another when you know you basically have their money in your pocket as there is no real product at that scale around apart from WWE themselves.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think that is where we differ. I like the "Entertainment" of wrestling a lot more than actual mat wrestling, or the way folks tell a "story" through their match. I mean, dont get me wrong, I can appreciate good wrestling but to me, there are no great matches without great stories preceding whatever story they tell during the actual match itself. And I am just here to mention my opinion. I do not follow the E as much as I used to and I am just bummed coz I see some guys with real potential to entertain and they are being wasted coz the booking is more often than not, predictable. Maybe if we had the net and all these Meltzers, I would have felt the same way about wrestling in the 90s. Or maybe it just a natural way of how you look at it as a teenager compared to an almost middle aged person. But whatever the reason be, I just dont think WWE are doing as much as they can with the talent they have right now and most of it comes down to rather predictable "shove em down our throat" booking and I dont think that existed that much back in the 90s Again, it is one thing when you are competing to get the fans' attention and time, quite another when you know you basically have their money in your pocket as there is no real product at that scale around apart from WWE themselves.
Fair enough, your experiences are your own etc. But to imply that there haven't been any good stories in WWE programming over the last few years is just plainly not true imo.

And the shove it down the throat booking has always been a thing. You may not have noticed it in the 90s, or it may have been more subtle, but it was unquestionably there, and it always has been.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its a matter of perception though.. I loved Bret and Shawn back in the New Gen days. And they were the ones who were shoved down our throat. So I was fine. And I actually didn't really like Austin until they did the double turn.

indiaholic

International Captain
God I loved Austin.. Favourite wrestler after Kane. I grew out of my Kane love but I still mark out every time I hear Stone Cold's music.

My sister has to suffer through a number of stunners. Sold it as well as Trump tbh.

Compton

International Debutant
Every era had as much wrestlecrap as any other tbh. People just think that 'their' generation of wrestling is the best.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And the shove it down the throat booking has always been a thing. You may not have noticed it in the 90s, or it may have been more subtle, but it was unquestionably there, and it always has been.
While this is true I think it's more egregious today because of how so many people have vehemently rejected Reigns and yet, they keep shoving him down everyone's throats.

Previously, if their golden boy (eg:Luger) was rejected by the audience, they wouldn't persist with it quite this much.

Mike5181

International Captain
The last year or so has been my favourite so far as a wrestling fan.

• AJ's run in the WWE
  • Brand split rejuvenating Smackdown. I can now largely ignore RAW because of this.
  • Talking Smack becomes a thing
  • 2016-2017 John Cena is best Cena
  • Miz had the best year of his career
  • Naito's rise to the top culminating in beating Okada for the title.
  • Omega moving from junior to heavyweight, winning the G1 after two spectacular matches vs. Naito/Goto. Then main eventing Wrestle Kingdom in one of the all-time great matches.
  • New Japan's resurgence just in general has been so much fun to watch.
  • Legit women's wrestling is becoming popular again in the WWE and with Io Shirai/Stardom.

There's probably a dozen other reasons but we are genuinely in a golden period at the moment. Okada, Omega, Styles, Tanahashi, Naito, etc. are some of the best ever.

Athlai

Not Terrible
While this is true I think it's more egregious today because of how so many people have vehemently rejected Reigns and yet, they keep shoving him down everyone's throats.

Previously, if their golden boy (eg:Luger) was rejected by the audience, they wouldn't persist with it quite this much.
Na it's different, people boo Reigns but they keep watching and buying tickets. He's a draw, Luger wasn't.

Not to say a popular face of the company wouldn't be better than Reigns but there's a reason they're persisting.