• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I asked sledger this question the other day, and felt it would be worthwhile seeing some other views:

Q - You have one match and/or one PPV to 'sell' pro wrestling to somebody who has never seen it before. What do you pick?

FTR in the scenario, the 'match' includes the video package recapping the storyline leading to it, if one existed.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I asked sledger this question the other day, and felt it would be worthwhile seeing some other views:

Q - You have one match and/or one PPV to 'sell' pro wrestling to somebody who has never seen it before. What do you pick?

FTR in the scenario, the 'match' includes the video package recapping the storyline leading to it, if one existed.
PPV... no doubt for me I'd go for WM 17. It has absolutely everything... amazing technical wrestling (Angle v Benoit, Jericho v Regal), a really fun street fight (Shane vs Vince), the most spectacular spotfest ever (TLC II), and of course Rock v Austin, (with that incredible video package), among several other great matches like Eddie vs Test and HHH vs Taker. Can't imagine anyone not absolutely loving atleast one of the matches.

Selecting a match is tougher... most truly great matches require the viewer to know the history of the wrestlers and be invested in the storyline, but a few transcend that. The easiest one to enjoy, I think, would be TLC II... Anyone who I've ever sat with to watch it always says Holy *** atleast 5 times through the course of the match. It's so fast paced and brutal that it's pretty tough not to be entertained.

Apart from that I'd either show them HBK-Taker from WM25 (for pretty much being the best thing in wrestling ever) and Rock vs Austin WM17. Can't imagine anyone watching the "My Way" video package and not be pumped for the match. Pretty much condenses their rivalry into a perfect 3 minute video.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Best bit about that rivalry is they it was actually written **** with the Deborah stuff (no one gave a **** about her) and yet those two still made it awesome.

OverratedSanity

Haha yeah... Don't know why she was even involved . It's Rock vs Austin ffs... you don't need that sort of nonsense. And I think Stone Cold even says something like "Deborah's not a factor anyway, I just want the WWF title, Rock" in that package. Goosebumps just thinking about it tbh. those two were so awesome that they transcended not just ****ty WWF writing but they made Limp Bizkit sound cool. Unbelievable.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Two mega faces going toe to toe at a main event always has a feeling that can't be surpassed imo. Traditional writing says you almost always need a heel (and yeah obv Austin turns heel) but there are some specific instances where you can take two faces and it works. Warrior / Hogan the other classic example.

Never saw it but I imagine HBK vs. Taker at WM was similar.

Nash vs. Goldberg another example, though far less quality in the actual match.

OverratedSanity

John Cena vs CM Punk.
Amazing match, but I think long time fans who went crazy on the internet for the weeks leading upto the match after that pipebomb were probably the ones who enjoyed it the most. A newby wouldn't appreciate it as much imo.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah definitely but I don't think you can call it a traditional face vs. face match.
Oh, no. I was just responding to Dan's post about selling wrasslin' to n00bs. None of the matches I mentioned were face v face really. Angle was still definitely the heel in his match with HBK, but the fans cheered him anyway because he was just such a gun. Same with CM Punk in his match with Cena - Chicago crowd just totally hijacked the entire thing.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Possibli.
It really was the greatest match of all time for me. I remember watching the PPV with some friends at Uni, and we were chatting and drinking throughout, laughing and joking etc... But for the duration of that match everyone was silent, absolutely engrossed in the match, glued to the TV. I can't ever remember being quite so caught up in a wrestling match - was literally hanging on every moment.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Cena/Punk rivaled it mind you. Given all that had gone on in the past few weeks, with Punk's contract running out, his "pipe bomb" promos that broke the 4th wall, this was just must see stuff. The match was booked perfectly throughout, really exciting, and the ending was just the most incredible thing (considering nobody knew that Punk had apparently signed a new deal just moments before the match began).

Not suggesting you watch the whole thing Joni, but watch the video package/promo bit at the start, and the last few minutes or so of the match (from around the 43 min mark). It's just ace.

Edit: One of the very few WWE matches to get Dave Meltzer's 5 star rating too.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
2010 was an awesome year of wrestling. It's a bit like 96-97 whereby it wasn't getting good ratings and that but week to week was outstanding