• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
he's also dissing Perlstein. smh. nixonland is a must read.

Sean Waltman ‏@TheRealXPac 2h2 hours ago
Sorry I spelled Rick Perlstein of Newsweek's name wrong, but no one knew he was until his ridiculous "POW-MIA Flag is Racist" article.

Shri

Mr. Glass
That Shane O'Mac one is amazing. He was so awesome.
Very few friends in the locker room apparently. He could do crazy **** and be flown back home on his private jet to recover while the others had to be sensible and not take risks like he could. Remember reading it somewhere some time back. Not sure where.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Per Sean Waltman, Chyna crashed Roddy Piper's funeral and bum rushed Triple H to say she was "sorry" for everything. You know, there's a time and a place for these things. This after accusing him of assault and Waltman of rape. She has a lot of nerve.

From Solo on facebook.
holy **** I never knew about the assault and rape allegations

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah this is so true. Didn't realise it much before you said it so watched that Benoit/Jericho vs Austin/HHH tag match again and boy you're not kidding. It's basically like the Scott Hall sell but without the jump and sped up x10. Brutal.
Just watched this one, and I think that's actually one of the more moderate sells of the stunner he did actually. I remember far worse ones, perhaps in the 1 v 1 match they had on Smackdown shortly after.

As an aside, I love how Jericho pulled the ref out of the ring when he was counting the pin there. Never get faces doing edgy/cheaty things like that anymore.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Because it doesn't make any kayfabe sense. A heel manager pulling the ref out when his guy is about to get pinned makes sense; it risks a DQ, but it sure beats getting pinned and, say, losing the title.

A face chasing a title should never do it, because he stands to lose far more than he gains.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I just liked how the Jericho character from that time did loads of heelish stuff like beat up refs every now and again and cheat//get dq'd.

Sure, from a strict kayfabe sense it was all over the place, but if done well it's a cool contrast from the black and white heel/face divide that exists these days.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Because it doesn't make any kayfabe sense. A heel manager pulling the ref out when his guy is about to get pinned makes sense; it risks a DQ, but it sure beats getting pinned and, say, losing the title.

A face chasing a title should never do it, because he stands to lose far more than he gains.
Yeah but sometimes **** like that is fun. Good to have diverse types of faces.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I just liked how the Jericho character from that time did loads of heelish stuff like beat up refs every now and again and cheat//get dq'd.

Sure, from a strict kayfabe sense it was all over the place, but if done well it's a cool contrast from the black and white heel/face divide that exists these days.
Brock says hi

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
some guy on wrestling forum said:
I personally don't hold much value in most of the World title reigns posts 2002.

Hogan & Austin's 6 WWE titles & Bret's 5 WWE titles > Cena's 15, Orton's 12, Edge's 11. Those numbers are ridiculous. Hey did you just lose the World title? It's ok jump on the other show and win that world title a month or two later!
Thoughts? Do title reigns mean as much these days?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hogan had 12 if you count WCW and Austin had a pretty short career compared to a Cena. That said it has been diminished slightly in the last decade.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Austin's reigns all came in a three and a half year period. Cena's have come in ten. Orton's eleven. Edge's admittedly were shorter.

Saying Austin's 5 > Cena's 15 is just a spurious argument based off nothing. Cena has longer reigns than Austin does.

The argument that does work is the whole two title era.

But comparing H*gan's vintage runs and saying they meant more is a bit pointless. There were between one and five PPVs a year for all bar one of Hogan's title reigns, and often the belt wasn't even defended at those.

For example after winning at WM5, the main event of Summerslam was Hogan & Beefcake V savage & Zeus. The same match was on some special stupid no holds barred ppv, and then Hogan was in an elimination match at Survivor Series. He then participated in the 1990 Rumble, before losing the belt at Mania 6.

That's a total of zero successful PPV defences. Sure, there will have been some on SNME but compare that to any modern reign. The ones people moan about generally see the guy lose the title in his first PPV defence (or you have MITB cash-ins etc which obviously do impact this issue), same as Hogan in 1989-90

Title reigns started to speed up when PPVs went monthly in 95. It took a little while for the top title to catch up but that's the main reason as far as I can tell. Yea, Cena has a title reign in 2010 where he won the belt in the chamber before Vince brought Batista out. But then, Yokozuna had one in similar length at mania 9. Andre the Giant sold the belt in 1988.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I disagree with the general argument that title reigns are devalued these days, but do think they need to do more to try and put over the importance of being a champion etc... Cena being given the US title seems to indicate this is something they've been trying to do for a while now too.