• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I must have a terrible memory. Has to be 10 years since I last watched it, but yeah, couldn't remember who won either. I guessed it'd be Austin as it was in Texas, but couldn't remember the finish, and couldn't remember it being No-DQ. ****ing awesome re-watching it and not knowing what was going to happen.
fmd, I'd seriously pay money to have that experience again.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
fmd, I'd seriously pay money to have that experience again.
On the subject of best matches, I think this is actually a pretty good way of making such assessments. I.e. the more you feel like this about a match, the higher it ranks.

The most obvious examples of this sort of thing in living memory for me are Taker vs HBK from WM25, and Cena vs Punk from MITB 2011. I know those matches get mentioned to death in here, but they were seriously off the wall good. Both had me hanging on every moment, and that was a rare enough experience even when I was watching as a kid/more invested fan.

Jericho and Benoit vs Austin and HHH on RAW another notable example. Quite possibly the best TV match of all time for me. Storytelling and pacing of that match was just superb. Had everything. If someone watched that match and didn't get excited then pro wrestling just simply wouldn't be for them imo. Had everything.

Jericho vs HHH on RAW where he "won" the WWF title and Rock vs Hogan are other good examples of these types of matches.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, he was tbf. Not as good as Jono would probably have you believe, but the guy was an excellent performer imo.

Very versatile. I think a lot of people tend to remember him mainly as a comedy figure these days, which is kind of a shame. His comedy was genuinely laugh out loud funny, but it's unfortunate that because it gets played up to such an extent the other strings to his bow tend to get overlooked. Bloke always did a strong job in both serious face and heel roles, and his ring work is pretty underrated I think. He's no Kurt Angle obvs, but he was a decent athlete, especially in his WCW days.

That Harlem Hangover he did on HHH in the match that must not be named - holy **** I thought he had decapitated him.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Just from memory I'd say he would be halfway between Shaemus and Kofi in terms of how he worked in the ring. Unlike either of them he could actually really get the crowd going in a big main event superstar kind of way. I'd say he was as quick as Kofi when he wanted to be albeit a **** town stiffer.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
On the subject of best matches, I think this is actually a pretty good way of making such assessments. I.e. the more you feel like this about a match, the higher it ranks.

The most obvious examples of this sort of thing in living memory for me are Taker vs HBK from WM25, and Cena vs Punk from MITB 2011. I know those matches get mentioned to death in here, but they were seriously off the wall good. Both had me hanging on every moment, and that was a rare enough experience even when I was watching as a kid/more invested fan.

Jericho and Benoit vs Austin and HHH on RAW another notable example. Quite possibly the best TV match of all time for me. Storytelling and pacing of that match was just superb. Had everything. If someone watched that match and didn't get excited then pro wrestling just simply wouldn't be for them imo. Had everything.

Jericho vs HHH on RAW where he "won" the WWF title and Rock vs Hogan are other good examples of these types of matches.
Lesnar vs. Rock - SummerSlam 02 and Mania 25 good shouts imo (in terms of edge of your seat re: the result).

I was so certain Trips was going to nail the pedigree and win agains the murderer.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
list your top 10 ****

I'll be a hipster and throw non-WWE in there as well.

10)Stone Cold vs Dude Love: Over the Edge 1998. Yeah, that's ****ing right. A Dude love match. The match that laid the template for all those overbooked Attitude Era matches to follow. The crowd is ridiculously hot, it's a hell of a lot of fun, and Austin counts the 3-count himself for the finish. Just awesome dumb fun.

9)TLC II (WM X7): It's people killing their bodies in inventive ways to put on a show. I always show this match as an entry point to a new fan getting into wrestling. Sure, it's a "spotfest", but that's really not a bad word when it's so amazing to watch. Absolutely everyone I've shown this match to for the first time ends up with their jaw on the floor.

8) Cena vs HBK: Raw: Still maintain the Wrestlemania match is overrated, and not just because Cena won (yawn). This blew the WM main event out of the water imo.

Tied with Eddie vs Rey 97. Yeah I cheated so what

7)Lesnar vs Angle: Smackdown Iron Man Match: ****ing awesome, and so underrated. Rarely see this match get mentioned in "great match" lists, or even "great iron man matches" lists (**** Bret vs HBK). lesnar's heel tactics = perfect, and the match is an easy 10/10.

6)Punk vs Cena MITB 2011: Everyone's talked about this match and the angle leading up to it plenty of times. Nothing more needs to be said. Watch it, Jono you idiot. (Shame you know the result though)

5)Flair vs Steamboat WrestleWar 1989: Yeah it's dated now, but sue me, I still love it. Classic.

4)Samoa Joe vs Christopher Daniels vs AJ Styles: Greatest triple threat ever. **** HHH/Benoit/HBK. **** Rock/Angle/Taker. **** Lesnar/Cena/Rollins. This right here is how you do a triple threat. It has everything... hot crowd, 3 great wrestlers, amazing spots, awesome submission sequences, guys pulling out rare super-finishers, and the single best comedy spot in a wrestling match in history. TNA's youtube channel has it on there for free. Check it out now if you haven't, ya **** Jono.

3)Bret vs Austin WM 13: Double turn, yadda yadda everyone knows this is epic.

2)HBK vs Undertaker at the 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF WRESTLEMANIA (even though it's actually technically just the 24th Anniversary): Yeah, not number 1, coz I'm a hipster. Man I've heard usual contrarians say the match is only great in the last 15 minutes where they go crazy with the kickouts, but they're complete dolts. They ignore the little touches like the significance of HBK slapping on the figure four (he retired Ric Flair last year, hello!!!!).

The match is so good it deserves a top 3 moments of HBK vs Taker at WM25 list:

(3) the awesome sequence where HBK goes for a superkick, but Undertaker tries to dodge but falls on his ass because his knee buckles under the strain of having been worked over, so HBK goes for a figure 4 again, only to have it be reversed into Hell's Gate. Phew. That happens like 12 minutes into the match, but some people will pretend it's "boring" until the end.

(2) Taker almost dies, but saves himself by sitting on the cameraman's head

(1) Oh nice skin the cat into tombstone! yeah this is over. One. Two. Thr------HBK kicks out. *brain explodes*​

Go watch it Jono ya ****

Annnnnddd...

*drumroll*

1) Misawa vs Kawada 94: Beautiful. Smooth. Epic. Insanely brutal finish. 10/10.

Now, everyone else do the same so I can point out how **** your top 10's are.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Lesnar vs. Rock - SummerSlam 02 and Mania 25 good shouts imo (in terms of edge of your seat re: the result).

I was so certain Trips was going to nail the pedigree and win agains the murderer.
Eddie beating Brock was really gun in this way as well. Particularly since Brock leaving hadn't become clear/been confirmed at that point.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
was booker t actually good
Yeah, he was tbf. Not as good as Jono would probably have you believe, but the guy was an excellent performer imo.

Very versatile. I think a lot of people tend to remember him mainly as a comedy figure these days, which is kind of a shame. His comedy was genuinely laugh out loud funny, but it's unfortunate that because it gets played up to such an extent the other strings to his bow tend to get overlooked. Bloke always did a strong job in both serious face and heel roles, and his ring work is pretty underrated I think. He's no Kurt Angle obvs, but he was a decent athlete, especially in his WCW days.

That Harlem Hangover he did on HHH in the match that must not be named - holy **** I thought he had decapitated him.
Booker vs Benoit best of 7 series= classic.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
haha, love how he always looked more in pain than the guy he was applying it to.
hahahah so true. Was literally just bending Brock's leg back a tiny bit in that match. CBF even makin it look like it'd hurt his back a bit.