• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tbh WCW's mainevent scene absolutely sucked for the majority of its existence. The only people in it who were worth a damn were Sting and Goldberg. Nearly everyone else was just a past it WWE guy or a glorified midcarder. Or both (Jeff Jarrett).

Pretty much everyone else was just very underwhelming and/or ****. Take DDP for instance. I like him and think he's a gun. But the bloke was never great in the ring. People moan about Hogan for having a limited move set, but FMD DDP could literally do a clothesline, a powerbomb, and the diamond cutter. Scott Steiner, hilarious as he is, was absolutely atrocious as well. Just remembered they had an ancient Sid Vicious hold the title loads as well, dear me.

People go on about how great the cruiserweight division was as well, but in my mind it's more a case of how good a handful of guys were. Rey, Eddie, Jericho, Psicosis, Malenko, Ultima Dragon, Kidman, and Juve Juice were all good. But their good work is often used to paper over the fact that not only did the WCW maineventers stink, but the midcard was pretty appalling as well. I mean, who the hell wanted to watch garbage like Vampiro, 3 Count, Disco Inferno, Tank Abbott, Kronik, David Flair, Crowbar, Alex Wright and Elix Skipper? Absolutely nobody.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
didnt they only decide to end the streak on the day of the last WM? if they played that one that late this seems totally possible
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they made the booking late, but I'd be very surprised if they hadn't already made the decision (even if they hadn't gone so far as to tell the wrestlers involved) prior to Rollins going out for his first match.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Amyway Sting losing isn't about burying anyone but is this the way to handle the WWE debut of a legend of the industry? He's spent months saying he'll beat hhh and then he just loses. If he lost give him some sort of glorious send off, not some BS where he gets knocked out by a sledgehammer and hhh comes out to gloat in a promo later in the show. It was just poor and don't you try and pretend it wasn't.
His debut was basically Survivor Series where he made a fool of HHH. Just as he did on the Raws afterwards and at Fast Lane. What was actually 'poor' about it? His debut was well hyped, they are still making him to be a big deal and the word is he travelled back with Taker and they planned what they want to do next year. If we hadn't had the whole DX/nWo shenanigans I could have seen them giving Sting the win but it was right for HHH to win, in hindsight, when you are having those stables face off.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His debut was basically Survivor Series where he made a fool of HHH. Just as he did on the Raws afterwards and at Fast Lane. What was actually 'poor' about it? His debut was well hyped, they are still making him to be a big deal and the word is he travelled back with Taker and they planned what they want to do next year. If we hadn't had the whole DX/nWo shenanigans I could have seen them giving Sting the win but it was right for HHH to win, in hindsight, when you are having those stables face off.
The debut and and build was great but all that talk from Sting and he just loses... And gets **** on by hhh later on after he shook hands with him.

Nwo and dx had no business being involved. Hhh really is a ****ing genius. He's fooled you into believing Sting losing was the right thing to do because of the stables involved but the whole reason they were involved in the first place was a lame attempt to justify hhh winning.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The debut and and build was great but all that talk from Sting and he just loses... And gets **** on by hhh later on after he shook hands with him.

Nwo and dx had no business being involved. Hhh really is a ****ing genius. He's fooled you into believing Sting losing was the right thing to do because of the stables involved but the whole reason they were involved in the first place was a lame attempt to justify hhh winning.

Didn't you think it was fun having them all come out? I mean word is Sting is limited now in the ring (I thought what he did looked good, but). Each to their own and all that, but HHH V Sting was always aimed at the early 30s demographic fan (as much as my kids were excited for it) and so the nostalgia of those stables coming out was awesome IMO.

I don't believe in a 'right' winner in a match like this if I'm completely honest. I wanted Sting to win. Initially I was like WHAT. But then I thought about it, and really it just didn't matter that much who won. But DX going over the NWO I am firmly on board with.

And I've already mentioned it but I LOVED JBL's "But whose side are they on?" call.

Final thought. Vince was looking to piss on TNA more than WCW with everything that went on to do with Sting. Discuss.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, more than anything else, the match basically needed to be overbooked. In some ways Sting actually looked quite decent physically, but when you stop and look at some of the spots you realise that he must actually be pretty shot. Look at the pic of him putting HHH in the Scorpion Death Lock, he can't even bend his knees ffs.

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm glad the place shut down and I'm glad Vince is still making a point now about how ridiculous it was that people actually thought it would put him out of business.
What purpose does that serve?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Also learnt today that Khali used to be very agile in his prime and pulled off some sick moves. He jumped over the top rope in a gif to get into the ring. Back when he actually had knees he was great it looks like.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tbh WCW's mainevent scene absolutely sucked for the majority of its existence. The only people in it who were worth a damn were Sting and Goldberg. Nearly everyone else was just a past it WWE guy or a glorified midcarder. Or both (Jeff Jarrett).

Pretty much everyone else was just very underwhelming and/or ****. Take DDP for instance. I like him and think he's a gun. But the bloke was never great in the ring. People moan about Hogan for having a limited move set, but FMD DDP could literally do a clothesline, a powerbomb, and the diamond cutter. Scott Steiner, hilarious as he is, was absolutely atrocious as well. Just remembered they had an ancient Sid Vicious hold the title loads as well, dear me.

People go on about how great the cruiserweight division was as well, but in my mind it's more a case of how good a handful of guys were. Rey, Eddie, Jericho, Psicosis, Malenko, Ultima Dragon, Kidman, and Juve Juice were all good. But their good work is often used to paper over the fact that not only did the WCW maineventers stink, but the midcard was pretty appalling as well. I mean, who the hell wanted to watch garbage like Vampiro, 3 Count, Disco Inferno, Tank Abbott, Kronik, David Flair, Crowbar, Alex Wright and Elix Skipper? Absolutely nobody.
You've not mentioned Booker T, deliberate? I suppose he epitomised glorified midcarder and it was pretty embarassing that the company closed with him as world champion. He got decent around 2006 but how he clawed his way into a title match at Wrestlemania 19 I'll never know. Thank god he lost as otherwise we might have been faced with a Goldberg-Booker title feud. That would have been good 8-)

duffer

Yeah, more than anything else, the match basically needed to be overbooked. In some ways Sting actually looked quite decent physically, but when you stop and look at some of the spots you realise that he's must actually be pretty shot. Look at the pic of him putting HHH in the Scorpion Death Lock, he can't even bend his knees ffs.
Dude's 56 now, I didn't expect much from him. Right place, very wrong time imo.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In other words pointless?
I've enjoyed the fallout too.

I mean, isn't everything in pro-wrestling pointless if you go down that route?

It's a shame that we didn't get the proper invasion in 2001, mania was a glimpse of what we could have had, genuine bona fide stars (& X-pac) battling it out instead of WCW's joke midcard. But in this era of full access to everything, it's important to acknowledge that peak-era WCW was horrific, so Sunday served to remind people of that, in case there was any revisionism.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Even aside from the talent and horrible creative side of things the way WCW ran shows was just stupid imo. I recall on one of the last few Starcades they had literally about 15 matches, with most of them lasting about 5 minutes each.

What an absolutely horrible way to book any event, let alone your biggest show of the year.

duffer

Even aside from the talent and horrible creative side of things the way WCW ran shows was just stupid imo. I recall on one of the last few Starcades they had literally about 15 matches, with most of them lasting about 5 minutes each.

What an absolutely horrible way to book any event, let alone your biggest show of the year.
Heh, wasn't there like 50 members of the NWO at some stage? If the Network is ever available in India it's worth getting just for that kind of lols.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
WWE did that with their early Manias and quickly learned it was stupid. WCW, meanwhile, as the #1 company in wrestling had a non-title 1 V 1 match featuring the champ as their main event to their first Starrcade on top.