• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Random match (because my 8 year old wrestling fan daughter whinged at me enough to make me switch starrcade 96 off) I'm watching is the opener from survivor series 09

Spot the difference between these two teams

The Miz, Jack Swagger, Sheamus, Dolph Ziggler, Drew McIntyre (exception that proves the rule)

V

John Morrison, Finlay, Matt Hardy, Shelton Benjamin, Evan Bourne

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
All of the first team (apart from Drew) went on to become world champions? And all of the rest have left the company/are no longer active wrestlers?

andmark

International Captain
All of the first team (apart from Drew) went on to become world champions? And all of the rest have left the company/are no longer active wrestlers?
That's my guess also. Although to notice the champions thing was impressive

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah massive divide.

Sheamus actually became champ at the next PPV which came from nowhere. Miz would have a hot streak for the next two years including a title run. Swagger had a fun title run IMO but most hated it. Ziggler took a little longer but is probably the biggest star out of all of them now (could be Sheamus though I guess)

They certainly tried to push a lot of talent in that period. Unfortunately ratings didn't do too well and they didn't show the patience of years gone by.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah massive divide.

Sheamus actually became champ at the next PPV which came from nowhere. Miz would have a hot streak for the next two years including a title run. Swagger had a fun title run IMO but most hated it. Ziggler took a little longer but is probably the biggest star out of all of them now (could be Sheamus though I guess)

They certainly tried to push a lot of talent in that period. Unfortunately ratings didn't do too well and they didn't show the patience of years gone by.
Was just way too early for it imo. He had not been built up anywhere near enough, and to compound this for me personally, he took the title away from a super hot Jericho. These days Swagger has now kicked on a lot imo, and is overdue another crack at the top.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The rollout of the Network is an excellent idea from the WWE's point of view imo. The traditional models of broadcast ppv carriers are dying or already dead in the water. The teething problems they have had with it are hardly surprising, but they're definitely on the right track so far as the future is concerned imo. I imagine lots of companies will start doing similar things in the near future.
Yeah its a great move you'd think. How do you reward the wrestlers though? How do you link it up to "drawing"?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah its a great move you'd think. How do you reward the wrestlers though? How do you link it up to "drawing"?
Similar sort of way to which it's been traditionally worked out, I'd imagine. Regardless of subscriptions, they'd be able to use analytics and whatnot to work out how many subsribers had actually watched each individual piece of content etc... In fact, it would probably allow them to work out better than ever who it was who was the biggest draw, come to think of it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Swagger's far from good on the mic and there are vastly better in ring guys though.
Yeah, his mic skills leave a bit to be desired, but I think on the whole he's got what it takes. He fits the profile of what the E looks for in a top star. His ring work is actually really good for mine, and his look is about right too. Give him a crack imo.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Similar sort of way to which it's been traditionally worked out, I'd imagine. Regardless of subscriptions, they'd be able to use analytics and whatnot to work out how many subsribers had actually watched each individual piece of content etc... In fact, it would probably allow them to work out better than ever who it was who was the biggest draw, come to think of it.
Haha, well not per CM Punk. Or they're just not telling the wrestlers.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
PHP:
Listening to the Bret podcast, interesting how seriously they took kayfabe back in the day. Can anyone pinpoint the time the "kayfabe era" died? Montreal?
1989 when Vince testified in NJ senate that wrestling wasnt real.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Listening to the Bret podcast, interesting how seriously they took kayfabe back in the day. Can anyone pinpoint the time the "kayfabe era" died? Montreal?
Apparently Bret Hart and Davey Boy cracked the ****s when the clique broke kayfabe back in 96.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Interesting video but it states the faces of the WWE across history to be Bruno - Hogan - Hart/HBK - Austin/Rock - Cena.

Who was top dog between Austin's retirement and the commencement of Cena's reign? Lesnar & HHH were monster heels, Goldberg & Beniot weren't really anywhere near as massive. Shawn wasn't particularly prolific in that period iirc despite having immense matches like the summerslam street fight with HHH.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They didn't have a face of the company between Austin/Rock and Cena. Hence a ratings decline.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting video but it states the faces of the WWE across history to be Bruno - Hogan - Hart/HBK - Austin/Rock - Cena.

Who was top dog between Austin's retirement and the commencement of Cena's reign? Lesnar & HHH were monster heels, Goldberg & Beniot weren't really anywhere near as massive. Shawn wasn't particularly prolific in that period iirc despite having immense matches like the summerslam street fight with HHH.
That's the point. There was no one guy who was at the top at the time. HHH was trying to hog the limelight on Raw, but Lesnar, Angle, Eddie, Benoit all had their moments at the top. Lesnar was probably the guy WWE was looking to as the next top dog, along with Cena, but once he went, the field cleared for Cena to take over completely.

It's somewhat similar even now. Cena's has been started to be phased out slowly but surely from the post of "top guy" for a while now. So between the Cena era and presumably the Reigns era, we've had Bryan, and Punk challenge for the top spot with Cena still being in the picture.