• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Christian would have been better. It just stunk.
Just to be clear, I am with you on JBL as champ. But if they did want a truly despised heel for Cena to take down, I doubt Christian would have been the right man. He was too popular even as a heel. Same with Jericho.

They were short on absolutely top heels at that point really. Obviously HHH did the whole batista thing (and let's be fait, it was awesome) so I don't know who would be my pick for putting Cena over at that point.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Booker started his king Booker shtick after that Boogeyman rubbish iirc. Booker speaking in an English accent with a "court" comprising of Queen Sharmell, Sir William Regal, Sir Finlay... that **** was amazing :laugh:
It was funny, but I always hate it when the E feel they need to make someone undergo a massive change (or even slight, but notable changes) in gimmick for them to be pushed into the main event.

It was gun that Booker got to be World Champ at that time (even if he jobbed really badly as soon as Batista came back on the scene), but why could he not have just been allowed to be plain old Booker T during that period? There was no real need to add all that other stuff.

It was like when Jericho became undisputed champ. He went from being this brash and arrogant jerk tweener to being a whinging weed who started wearing tights that looked like they had been made from an Italian Restaurant's table cloth and wearing his hair in a plait. It totally killed the whole thing for me. Love Jericho, but his undisputed title run (especially his Wrestlemania program with HHH) is probably my least favourite part of his career by far.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's been so long, but by god this match still makes me mad. Was reminded why by this article

Retroactive Reconstruction: Booker T vs. Triple H

In a storyline that essentially told him that everything he did in life, every accomplishment he ever earned, every roadblock he overcame…none of it mattered. Because he was black. And black people don't get to move up in life.

Vince, Ric and Triple H ought to be ashamed of themselves. **** this angle. **** this company.
Qft

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just to be clear, I am with you on JBL as champ. But if they did want a truly despised heel for Cena to take down, I doubt Christian would have been the right man. He was too popular even as a heel. Same with Jericho.

They were short on absolutely top heels at that point really. Obviously HHH did the whole batista thing (and let's be fait, it was awesome) so I don't know who would be my pick for putting Cena over at that point.
Yeah, this is true. RAW during this period somehow remained really strong, and that angle was one of the best ones to have come along in ages at that point, the way that story was told was excellent. Just makes you wonder how Smackdown went down the tubes so badly during the same time period.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, this is true. RAW during this period somehow remained really strong, and that angle was one of the best ones to have come along in ages at that point, the way that story was told was excellent. Just makes you wonder how Smackdown went down the tubes so badly during the same time period.
In line with this point, it's really telling, imo, that iirc all of the guys who competed in the MITB match at WM21 (i.e. all of the guys who were knocking on the door of the ME and angling for a push) were from RAW.

Smackdown was crying out for one or two guys like this.

OverratedSanity

Batista's thumbsdown to HHH and Flair was an ATG moment tbh. Marked out hard for Batista during that run.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In line with this point, it's really telling, imo, that iirc all of the guys who competed in the MITB match at WM21 (i.e. all of the guys who were knocking on the door of the ME and angling for a push) were from RAW.

Smackdown was crying out for one or two guys like this.
Is it telling or did they just make it a raw only thing first time round? I can't remember. Brand split was probably at its most relevant at that point where they were ran as genuinely separate shows.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Is it telling or did they just make it a raw only thing first time round? I can't remember. Brand split was probably at its most relevant at that point where they were ran as genuinely separate shows.
Hmmm yeah, maybe it was a RAW only thing actually.

OverratedSanity

Him becoming WWE champ was pretty much exactly the same time that Smackdown took a massive downturn and became genuinely crap for a few years as well iirc. I think it was about then that Orlando Jordan showed up, and the Bashams, and Simon Dean and a load of other dross.
Oh man you think Orlando was bad in WWE?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Orlando was terrible everywhere, but yeah, TNA managed to make WWE's handling of him look fantastic.

I mean...just watching that video.....what the hell were they thinking?!?!

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Seriously when the TNA commentators themsevles are speechless, it says a lot. They've seem some weird **** there... this was just... no words.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Joe worked for wwe in a developmental role before didn't he?

I'd love him to join the E anyway. Would be fine for him to start on NXT. Did Bryan no harm and it was a much less wrestling oriented show

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah you're selling Christian short. You never know how much heat people can get until they actually are there. Christian winning the title and being a MEer may have made some smarks love him, but he was still so annoying to many fans that they'd have cracked it.

JBL just made people turn the TV off. That's not the heat you want (I understand you aren't saying it is ftr).

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah maybe. Vince never saw Christian as the man for whatever reason anyway. They really did have a weak roster at that point, or rather the brand split weakened it.

It kinda makes me laugh tbh. For years there were two world champions, two tag champs etc but not a hugely stacked undercard and you could have done with getting rid of the brand split. Then in 2011 they have a stacked roster and decide to end it.

I know people like there only being one world champ and with no brand split you pretty much have to do it that way but when they actually got rid of it, and unified the belts, they had enough depth to not make us suffer a JBL type reign

Ultimately the brand split was pretty weak at times but it really did help get midcarders the next level.

Sorry, kinda digressed there.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
JBL just made people turn the TV off. That's not the heat you want (I understand you aren't saying it is ftr).
I had the same reaction to Vickie's run in WWE. Just made me cringe so awfully I couldn't take it anymore.

OverratedSanity

Nah Vickie was a phenomenal heel. The difference between JBL and Vickie was that Vickie was a personality; an authority figure, not the World Champion. She was vicious and annoying and I hated her guts and loved it when she got her comeuppance. JBL just had no credibility whatsoever... that hurt the WWE's quality tremendously when he was champion.