• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lionel Messi..

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I actually agree with Marc. I think Ronaldo would score a high amount of goals regardless where he goes. Messi may still be a better player than Ronaldo but I doubt he'd score as many goals as he does now. He has an incredible advantage in being in a side that almost always has the ball.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Having just watched all of Messi and Ronaldo's goals, it strikes me that a lot more of Ronaldo's goals have come from tap-ins when the keeper has been taken out of the equation.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's also a redundant argument.

Maradona and Pele are held in high regard because they were damn fine players. But the reason their World Cup performances matter more is because they were from an era where the World Cup was their only major international exposure.

Guys like Messi and Ronaldo are constantly exposed through all their domestic games being available to a massive domestic and international TV audience and their participation in the Champions League. In today's world, World Cup performances mean less because it's not the only time we'll see such players.
At the moment, though, it's surely slightly different because the only time that we get to see Messi outside of his Barca environment is when he plays for Argentina.

He's playing for a club side that, even without him would probably be as good as any other in the world, and unlike Pele, Maradona, et al. we haven't seen him play for more than one club side. So his performances for Argentina take more credence.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The line between quality and achievement is getting blurred a bit here. Maybe we don't want to consider him amongst players who have so far done more with their ability than he has, but if what we're assessing is how good at football he is, I think it's pretty obvious he's on the same level.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Having just watched all of Messi and Ronaldo's goals, it strikes me that a lot more of Ronaldo's goals have come from tap-ins when the keeper has been taken out of the equation.
Ronaldo also benefitted from his team-mates deliberately setting him up so he'd win the pichichi.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Out of interest, why would you definitely place him ahead of Maradonna?
I can't remember seeing Maradona, I'm too young. I really mean he's the best out of those I feel qualified to comment on i.e. last fifteen years.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I can't remember seeing Maradona, I'm too young. I really mean he's the best out of those I feel qualified to comment on i.e. last fifteen years.
Now I'm with you. tbh I forget that anyone under the age of 30-35 wouldn't have seen Maradona live, as it were.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
No. Personally I think Messi would struggle at Real and not score anywhere near the goals but Ronaldo would still score a similar number at Barcelona.
Just read this.

It's hilarious to think that Messi would struggle at Real. Such a lol comment.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It'll never be tested, but look how Messi performs in another side where it's not all set up exactly to suit him - his national side.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
It's not as though Messi doesn't do a lot of the work for most of his goals.

It's also not as though if he swapped sides with Ronaldo that Real wouldn't set up exactly to suit him. Probably more so than at Barca in fact, as I'd say Real set up more with Ronaldo in mind than Barca do with Messi.