Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Super 15 2011

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Eight in for round one - three and a half hours from this post for any last minute entries - Hurricane, Heath, etc?

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Really looking forward to this season,
    I'm not. Much like the County 20:20 in the UK, SANZAR are whipping every ounce of money out of the Super Rugby cash cow. Every year it gets longer and with every additional team, the quality gets diluted. Plus, the NPC has been trimmed to accommodate this extension (effectively, if not directly). Super Rugby should go back to its roots. They won't get the crowds back like this.

Hurricanes vs Highlanders
    Rebels vs Waratahs
    B.lose vs Crusaders (Stephen Brett vs. Dan Carter)
    Brumbies vs Chiefs
    Sharks vs Cheetahs
    Lions vs Bulls
    Reds vs Force
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I'm not. Much like the County 20:20 in the UK, SANZAR are whipping every ounce of money out of the Super Rugby cash cow. Every year it gets longer and with every additional team, the quality gets diluted. Plus, the NPC has been trimmed to accommodate this extension (effectively, if not directly). Super Rugby should go back to its roots. They won't get the crowds back like this.
    As much as I'd like to disagree, thats a fair post. Its the longest Super Rugby season, quite comfortably, and although the amount of "local derbies" has increased (each New Zealand team plays the others both home and away, as do the Australian and South African franchises) I don't think its the right format. I think 15 teams is too much for a start, but even so the conference system which draws the season out is hardly ideal IMO. It'll be July before the tournament finishes, and we're only in February.

For those that are competing in fantasy competitions where you select players, I've taken the liberty of going through each squad and noting major omissions from round one (was for my own fantasy team's benefit though you're welcome to use the information):
    Blues - Mika, McAlister
    Chiefs - Elliot, Ross, Bourke, Kahui
    Hurricanes - Thrush, Lowe, So'oialo, Weepu
    Crusaders - McCaw, Guildford, SBW
    Highlanders - King, Donnelly, Slade, Saunders
    Reds - Tomiki
    Waratahs - P.O'Connor, Palu
    Brumbies - Elsom, Hooper, Lealiifano
    Rebels - Freier, Blake, Gerrard
    Force - yet to name their side
    Bulls - J.Pretorius, F.Hougaard
    Lions - full strength
    Cheetahs - Brussouw, J.Smith
    Stormers - bye
    Sharks - JP Pietersen

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    As much as I'd like to disagree, thats a fair post. Its the longest Super Rugby season, quite comfortably, and although the amount of "local derbies" has increased (each New Zealand team plays the others both home and away, as do the Australian and South African franchises) I don't think its the right format. I think 15 teams is too much for a start, but even so the conference system which draws the season out is hardly ideal IMO. It'll be July before the tournament finishes, and we're only in February.
    Is that a good thing though? I can wait until the summer to watch the Sharks play the Cheetahs twice in the Currie Cup. Donít really want to see that in Super rugby as well. Super 12 was the best, South Africa and Australia canít support 5 sides, not if they are going to be filled with a local talent pool.

Interested to see how the Lions fare this year, played some good stuff in the Currie Cup and are now being bank rolled heavily. Be nice if they can get out of Ellis Park also, one of the most pathetic sights on a Friday evening is seeing the Lions let in 50 odd in front of 10 people in a 60,000+ stadium.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

Rebels vs Waratahs
    B.lose vs Crusaders (Stephen Brett vs. Dan Carter)
    Brumbies vs Chiefs
    Sharks vs Cheetahs
    Lions vs Bulls
    Reds vs Force
    I reckon Melbourne deserved a team far more than Western Australia at the time. Had went to a few city games with my dad when I was over there including a match against a pretty strong Crusaders team. Gets a bit more of the family rivalry going with the Hurricanes-Rebels being a game where me and dad can go to the city and watch the game every year.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Is that a good thing though? I can wait until the summer to watch the Sharks play the Cheetahs twice in the Currie Cup. Donít really want to see that in Super rugby as well. Super 12 was the best, South Africa and Australia canít support 5 sides, not if they are going to be filled with a local talent pool.
    I don't think its a bad thing in terms of crowd numbers - I imagine NZ supporters would be more inclined to attend home matches when their sides face rival national franchises than against some of the Australian and South African sides, especially the weaker ones. New Zealand rugby's structured a bit differently to the Currie Cup, since the Blues, Crusaders, etc. don't exist in our provincial competition, unlike the South African franchises, so perhaps the South African fans will have differing views on the conference format. The big issue for me though is the length of the season, and the new format is certainly an issue in that regard.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Rebels vs Waratahs
    Blues vs Crusaders
    Brumbies vs Chiefs
    Sharks vs Cheetahs
    Lions vs Bulls
    Reds vs Force

Better give me the home team for the highlanders game since I am too late to tip it - it is 8:45pm and the game is in the se4cond half.
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

I reckon Melbourne deserved a team far more than Western Australia at the time. Had went to a few city games with my dad when I was over there including a match against a pretty strong Crusaders team. Gets a bit more of the family rivalry going with the Hurricanes-Rebels being a game where me and dad can go to the city and watch the game every year.
    Always thought that decision had something to do with wanting a city without a League presence. The idea might have merit with the NRLs likely expansion to Perth being complicated by Rugby fans having a few years to get attached to a local team. I don't think expansion into Melbourne would be any more difficult for Union now than it would have been a few years ago.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Dire advert for """"SuperRugby"""" tonight from the Westpac Stadium. If you try and tell me the quality of that game was better than that on offer for the NPC for more than double the ticket price then you are full of bull****. Utter tripe, and a woeful attendance to boot. Enough is enough.

Shame Wellington lost 12 - 11 in the end (11 points to Sopoanga, 12 to other provinces)

Neither deserve a team. How many locals are in the Rebels/Western Force teams? Australia clearly can't support 5 teams judging by how many imports they've had to get draft in. Off the top of my head I can think of Cipriani, Ged Robinson (!) & Willie Ripia. The Rebels will in all likelihood get as many Kiwi expats watching their games as locals. SuperRugby is a joke (sorry, it's not Super 15, it's SuperRugby - I was at NZRU headquarters tonight and calling the tournament Super 15 is a big no-no. As was my pro-NPC rhetoric)

Dire advert for """"SuperRugby"""" tonight from the Westpac Stadium. If you try and tell me the quality of that game was better than that on offer for the NPC for more than double the ticket price then you are full of bull****. Utter tripe, and a woeful attendance to boot. Enough is enough.

Shame Wellington lost 12 - 11 in the end (11 points to Sopoanga, 12 to other provinces)
    Agreed, not a particularly flash start - although when you've got a Highlanders side which has Otago, bottom of the ITM Cup, and Southland, arguably the dullest provincial side, as your main base for players, against an ill-disciplined Hurricanes outfit in round one of the competition, perhaps we should've been expecting that sort of performance. The reason I tipped the Blues was because I expected some of the better NZ sides like the Hurricanes and Crusaders to start slowly, so now that the Canes have completed their end of the bargain its time for the Cantabs to follow suit.

Neither deserve a team. How many locals are in the Rebels/Western Force teams? Australia clearly can't support 5 teams judging by how many imports they've had to get draft in. Off the top of my head I can think of Cipriani, Ged Robinson (!) & Willie Ripia. The Rebels will in all likelihood get as many Kiwi expats watching their games as locals. SuperRugby is a joke (sorry, it's not Super 15, it's SuperRugby - I was at NZRU headquarters tonight and calling the tournament Super 15 is a big no-no. As was my pro-NPC rhetoric)
    How rebellious for this topic to be named Super 15 then!

The Rebels also have the likes of diehard Australians Somerville, Hoani MacDonald and Kevin O'Neill; and former stars who I tend to think are past their absolute best like Mortlock, Huxley and Gerrard (quality players in their prime admittedly).

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Can add Gareth Delve (Ex-Wales and Gloucester) & Mick Lipman (ex-England & Bath), although, to be fair, the latter is a quasi-Aussie (Blighty-born, Ocker raised).

Proper towelling for the Rebels to begin with in any case; 43-0 at home not quite the fillip the 15-man code needed. Although 25k an encouraging turn out, must compare well to Storm games.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Storm never get that many but in saying that Olympic Park was a horrible ground and the Storm are yet to play a match where they could win competiion points at the Rebels home ground.

I tend to think tha Australia is the only country really benefiting due to the lack of a proper domestic comp.

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information