• Pele

2 9.09%
  • Muhammad Ali

3 13.64%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Sportsman

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar

Greatest Sportsman

Who do you consider to be the greatest sportsman out of Jahangir Khan, Roger Federer, Don Bradman, Michael Schumacher, Pele and Muhammad Ali. Please provide your reasons.

For me it has to be Jahangir Khan, not just because he is a Pakistani but also because he has the greatest record in sports history, even better than Bradman's average of 99. He won 555 consecutive squash matches from 1981 to 1986. During this winning streak he also won the 1982 International Squash Players Association Championship without losing a single point. He has also won the World open 6 times and the British open a record 10 times. he is considered the greatest squash player in history (please note that Squash is an incredibly intense game which has quite a strenuous effect on the human body, so don't take it as a joke).

Michael Jordan. Simply the best basketball player in history and a jam-up guy too! Watch Space Jam and you know anything the media has said about him is false. He would have scored 100 points in the modern game, no doubt. Impossible to play Jordan without getting fouled. In fact the NBA devised rules back then that made it less likely to foul a player like Jordan. Yet Jordan was always fouled because you couldn't stop him.

Schumacher was incredible, and while many people will say he wasn't the greatest, he really was. I loved his cool interviews afterwards, "The car drove fantastically well. The tires, the car, the whole package, it was just superb." Take note all you wannabees, this is the kind of confidence you need

Have there ever been two greater, more likable, sportsmen in history?

None greater.

Likable? Hewitt, Hayden, Gregan, Cronje, Kobe etc.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Haha Jahangir Khan won 555 consecutive matches. Holy ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Bradman.

To be better than anyone else by so very much in a major team sport is without precedence.

With all due respect to squash, it's very much a minority sport. Whilst Jahangir's record is impressive, there are other examples from smaller sports. For example Pierre Etchebaster was world champion in real tennis without interruption for a mind-boggling 26 years.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Bradman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Greatest Sportsman?

Modesty forbids me.. etc.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Bradman.

To be better than anyone else by so very much in a major team sport is without precedence.

With all due respect to squash, it's very much a minority sport. Whilst Jahangir's record is impressive, there are other examples from smaller sports. For example Pierre Etchebaster was world champion in real tennis without interruption for a mind-boggling 26 years.
    Squash isn't that much of a minority sport and is more intense than tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    Michael Jordan. Simply the best basketball player in history and a jam-up guy too! Watch Space Jam and you know anything the media has said about him is false. He would have scored 100 points in the modern game, no doubt. Impossible to play Jordan without getting fouled. In fact the NBA devised rules back then that made it less likely to foul a player like Jordan. Yet Jordan was always fouled because you couldn't stop him.

Schumacher was incredible, and while many people will say he wasn't the greatest, he really was. I loved his cool interviews afterwards, "The car drove fantastically well. The tires, the car, the whole package, it was just superb." Take note all you wannabees, this is the kind of confidence you need

None greater.

Sorry forgot about Jordan

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post

None greater.

In before "Wilt?!"...
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    In before "Wilt?!"...

No reason to be in before Chamberlain really. Yet many of us will wonder why being best at a sport that is just massive in one country, and seems to preclude most of the world on height, means you're deffo the best sportsman ever.

Haven't we had this discussion before though
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Wayne Carey.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    No reason to be in before Chamberlain really. Yet many of us will wonder why being best at a sport that is just massive in one country, and seems to preclude most of the world on height, means you're deffo the best sportsman ever.

Haven't we had this discussion before though
    The Wilt comment has more to do with my dispute where certain CWers in the past have maintained that Wilt was undeniably the best baller ever. But yeah agreed, basketball not being a dominant sport in most of the world (more than just one country though) doesn't help MJ's cause. But his dominance in the 90s did globalize the game.

That said, your point about height is silly, and something only someone not very knowledgeable on basketball would bring up. Yes, height is important, but speed, quickness, overall athleticism, and a high basketball IQ are much more important. Height matters little when you come up against an athletic guard with a 40" vertical leaping ability and great ball handling skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Who do you consider to be the greatest sportsman out of Jahangir Khan, Roger Federer, Don Bradman, Michael Schumacher, Pele and Muhammad Ali. Please provide your reasons.

For me it has to be Jahangir Khan, not just because he is a Pakistani but also because he has the greatest record in sports history, even better than Bradman's average of 99. He won 555 consecutive squash matches from 1981 to 1986. During this winning streak he also won the 1982 International Squash Players Association Championship without losing a single point. He has also won the World open 6 times and the British open a record 10 times. he is considered the greatest squash player in history (please note that Squash is an incredibly intense game which has quite a strenuous effect on the human body, so don't take it as a joke).
    Jahangir isn't even the best sportsperson in his sport:

As Heather McKay, she completely dominated the sport of women's squash in the 1960s and '70s. She lost only two matches in her entire career (in 1960 and 1962), and was unbeaten in competitive squash matches from 1962 through to 1981, when she retired from active open squash.
    Heather McKay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Andy Gray and Richard Keys pour scorn on your post Volty
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I realise my earlier comment may seem a bit disrespectful of the thread, anyway this was the thread I referred to about us all having this discussion before, yet it's always a viable one OP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information