• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Sportsman

Who is the Greatest Sportsman

• Total voters

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Who do you consider to be the greatest sportsman out of Jahangir Khan, Roger Federer, Don Bradman, Michael Schumacher, Pele and Muhammad Ali. Please provide your reasons.

For me it has to be Jahangir Khan, not just because he is a Pakistani but also because he has the greatest record in sports history, even better than Bradman's average of 99. He won 555 consecutive squash matches from 1981 to 1986. During this winning streak he also won the 1982 International Squash Players Association Championship without losing a single point. He has also won the World open 6 times and the British open a record 10 times. he is considered the greatest squash player in history (please note that Squash is an incredibly intense game which has quite a strenuous effect on the human body, so don't take it as a joke).

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Michael Jordan. Simply the best basketball player in history and a jam-up guy too! Watch Space Jam and you know anything the media has said about him is false. He would have scored 100 points in the modern game, no doubt. Impossible to play Jordan without getting fouled. In fact the NBA devised rules back then that made it less likely to foul a player like Jordan. Yet Jordan was always fouled because you couldn't stop him.

Schumacher was incredible, and while many people will say he wasn't the greatest, he really was. I loved his cool interviews afterwards, "The car drove fantastically well. The tires, the car, the whole package, it was just superb." Take note all you wannabees, this is the kind of confidence you need

Have there ever been two greater, more likable, sportsmen in history?

None greater.

Likable? Hewitt, Hayden, Gregan, Cronje, Kobe etc.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bradman.

To be better than anyone else by so very much in a major team sport is without precedence.

With all due respect to squash, it's very much a minority sport. Whilst Jahangir's record is impressive, there are other examples from smaller sports. For example Pierre Etchebaster was world champion in real tennis without interruption for a mind-boggling 26 years.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Bradman.

To be better than anyone else by so very much in a major team sport is without precedence.

With all due respect to squash, it's very much a minority sport. Whilst Jahangir's record is impressive, there are other examples from smaller sports. For example Pierre Etchebaster was world champion in real tennis without interruption for a mind-boggling 26 years.
Squash isn't that much of a minority sport and is more intense than tennis.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Michael Jordan. Simply the best basketball player in history and a jam-up guy too! Watch Space Jam and you know anything the media has said about him is false. He would have scored 100 points in the modern game, no doubt. Impossible to play Jordan without getting fouled. In fact the NBA devised rules back then that made it less likely to foul a player like Jordan. Yet Jordan was always fouled because you couldn't stop him.

Schumacher was incredible, and while many people will say he wasn't the greatest, he really was. I loved his cool interviews afterwards, "The car drove fantastically well. The tires, the car, the whole package, it was just superb." Take note all you wannabees, this is the kind of confidence you need

None greater.

Sorry forgot about Jordan

nightprowler10

Global Moderator

None greater.

In before "Wilt?!"...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In before "Wilt?!"...

No reason to be in before Chamberlain really. Yet many of us will wonder why being best at a sport that is just massive in one country, and seems to preclude most of the world on height, means you're deffo the best sportsman ever.

Haven't we had this discussion before though:unsure:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
No reason to be in before Chamberlain really. Yet many of us will wonder why being best at a sport that is just massive in one country, and seems to preclude most of the world on height, means you're deffo the best sportsman ever.

Haven't we had this discussion before though:unsure:
The Wilt comment has more to do with my dispute where certain CWers in the past have maintained that Wilt was undeniably the best baller ever. But yeah agreed, basketball not being a dominant sport in most of the world (more than just one country though) doesn't help MJ's cause. But his dominance in the 90s did globalize the game.

That said, your point about height is silly, and something only someone not very knowledgeable on basketball would bring up. Yes, height is important, but speed, quickness, overall athleticism, and a high basketball IQ are much more important. Height matters little when you come up against an athletic guard with a 40" vertical leaping ability and great ball handling skills.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Who do you consider to be the greatest sportsman out of Jahangir Khan, Roger Federer, Don Bradman, Michael Schumacher, Pele and Muhammad Ali. Please provide your reasons.

For me it has to be Jahangir Khan, not just because he is a Pakistani but also because he has the greatest record in sports history, even better than Bradman's average of 99. He won 555 consecutive squash matches from 1981 to 1986. During this winning streak he also won the 1982 International Squash Players Association Championship without losing a single point. He has also won the World open 6 times and the British open a record 10 times. he is considered the greatest squash player in history (please note that Squash is an incredibly intense game which has quite a strenuous effect on the human body, so don't take it as a joke).
Jahangir isn't even the best sportsperson in his sport:

As Heather McKay, she completely dominated the sport of women's squash in the 1960s and '70s. She lost only two matches in her entire career (in 1960 and 1962), and was unbeaten in competitive squash matches from 1962 through to 1981, when she retired from active open squash.
Heather McKay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

grecian

I realise my earlier comment may seem a bit disrespectful of the thread, anyway this was the thread I referred to about us all having this discussion before, yet it's always a viable one OP:)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for expanding my knowledge, but the thread is about the greatest sportman not sportsperson..
I realise that. I can read, after all. My point was that you could argue he wasn't even the standout sportsperson in his own sport, so you're drawing a long bow to put him at the top of the greatest sportsman list.

grecian

The Wilt comment has more to do with my dispute where certain CWers in the past have maintained that Wilt was undeniably the best baller ever. But yeah agreed, basketball not being a dominant sport in most of the world (more than just one country though) doesn't help MJ's cause. But his dominance in the 90s did globalize the game.

That said, your point about height is silly, and something only someone not very knowledgeable on basketball would bring up. Yes, height is important, but speed, quickness, overall athleticism, and a high basketball IQ are much more important. Height matters little when you come up against an athletic guard with a 40" vertical leaping ability and great ball handling skills.

Okay, I'm not knowledgeable on height, so how tall was Jordan. Look I don't really care, I have no doubt that the best b-ballers are great athletes, I'm just saying that there are a number of people in all populations that can't make it in the sport because of height. All you said talking about my silliness hasn't disproved that, If that is silly fair enough, I'm a silly man, but it tends to be why I prefer soccer and cricket players, you can perform at all sizes.

Anyway still bradman

TumTum

Banned
Nadal owns Federer head to head, so you can't call him the greatest sportsman.

Schumacher's wins are mostly due to Ferrari, everybody knows car >>> driver in that sport.

For me it's Pele. Yes Bradman dominated his sport the most, however you must remember that the skill level of Football was far greater than the skill level of Cricket at the time (coz Football has been around for ages and followed by the whole world, whereas cricket was mostly in England and Australia and just starting to develop).

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Schumacher plays a sport that has such a short history. Not only that, a small handful of people in the world even get to attempt that 'sport'. You can't even know for sure that he is ridiculously talented with his driving if 99.99999999% of the world has never even attempted to drive a formula one car. (****ing hate F1 ftr)